Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,
How are you?
I need some advice regarding a storage upgrade on a late 2009 3.06 C2D 21.5 iMac.

The purpose of this machine and 95% of its usage will be:

- web browsing
- email
- iTunes.

By iTunes i mean that this machine will be used to store a large and growing music library.
The library is 85% lossless Alac files and 15% high bitrate MP3s.
The library is currently around 1.4 TB.
The machine will also be used to download new albums, tag them using a tagging app and also convert flac to Alac with XLD.

I will upgrade the ram from the stock 4gb to the maximum 16 gb.

In regard to storage I have two options.

1- replace the stock HDD with a seagate 4tb hybrid SSHD. Costs around 140 euros.

2- replace the stock HDD with a seagate 4tb standard drive and replace the optical drive with an optibay and a corsair m500 240gb SSD. Costs around 250 euros.

3- replace the stock HDD with a Crucial m500 240gb and keep the media library on the 2tb external 2.5 hard-drives I already have. I have two externals, that have the data mirrored for backup purposes.

For the intended usage I described, what would be the beast option?

How would the SSD handle the constant writes of converting audio formats? Downloading flacs, convert them to Alac, delete the flacs... Would the drive performance suffer from the constant reads and writes?

What is your advice?

Cheers and thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.