Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T Drops Price of Single-Line Data Plans, 2GB Now $65/Month

AT&T will launch a new single-line data plan for smartphone customers on Sunday, bringing it more in-line with the lower-cost family plans that launched at the beginning of February.

The new plan will give users 2GB of data, along with unlimited messaging and calling, for $65 per month, down $15 from the previous plan. Adding additional smartphones to the plan will cost $25 per line per month. AT&T slashed the prices of its Mobile Share family plans at the beginning of last month.

AT&T's new plans can also be combined with an existing promotion that offers a $100 bill credit to new and existing customers who add a new line of service. That promo runs through 3/31/2014. AT&T also introduced new messaging and calling rates to international countries late last month.

The move comes in the midst of a marketing war between U.S. cellular carriers, with AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint all introducing new deals and promotions to keep their current customers and snatch new ones.

Customers can learn more about the new plans on AT&T's website.

Article Link: AT&T Drops Price of Single-Line Data Plans, 2GB Now $65/Month
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:05 PM   #2
kinless
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to kinless
This is actually more in line with how single-line monthly plans should be, comparing to my unlimited (22% work-discount) Sprint plan of around $67/mo. Glad to see carriers are moving away from punishing single-line users.

Now if only Verizon would follow suit... they're the only ones with decent coverage where I live.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Solomani
macrumors 68000

This is great…. they are in a price-lowering war to attract customers!

I really wanted to thank T-Mobile primarily for stimulating this round of "price cut wars".
Solomani is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:08 PM   #4
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

Competition = great for customers. Thanks to Datashare, my plan went from 195 to 125.

Competition creates Verizon FIOS while monopolies create Comcast and Cablevision.
levitynyc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Westside guy
macrumors 601

Thank you, T-Mobile!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:13 PM   #6
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Definitely glad the merger didn't go through.
wordoflife is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:13 PM   #7
bushido
macrumors 601

$65 i couldnt afford an iPhone in the US. i have 4.6 GB lte + hotspot for free, in fact i make 25 cent after two years thx to 3rd party providers living of off signing phone contracts over here (commission)
bushido is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Meh. Still getting Net10 or StraightTalk.
Z400Racer37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:14 PM   #9
kukheart
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to kukheart Send a message via Yahoo to kukheart
Wow, that's surprising. I'm still under contract for my line, I think it ends in summer, so does this mean that the savings get passed onto me automatically with AT&T? Or do I have to call for the discounted rate? 1 line, unlimited texts, 2GB data. Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:19 PM   #10
afurry13
macrumors 65816

This is for no contract only. AKA AT&T next or paying full price. Therefore it's $65 plus the monthly phone cost. Which brings it to about $90/month.

Still a rip off. Nice try. Stop tricking people with this AT&T Next ********.
afurry13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:28 PM   #11
Xerotech
macrumors 6502

If only Verizon had better deals.
Xerotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:43 PM   #12
drewyboy
macrumors 6502a

As tempting as it is to want to switch back to ATT from Tmo, there's two things, one of them major. I can't go without HD calls now. It's absolutely amazing how it sounds, so until att finally gets around to it (been "working on it" for the last year and half) it's a no go.

Most important though, I don't want a company that only reacts. I think I'll stick with TMo because they're the ones that are actually initiating it. As far as those on verizon, I feel sorry for you. I really don't know why you'd choose that over Tmobile, unless you got bad coverage at least ATT. It just seems like verizon customers just keep taking all the crap verizon keeps pushing out. Nothing will change with them unless people start voting with their wallet.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:45 PM   #13
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
$65 i couldnt afford an iPhone in the US.
No kidding; it's shocking how much they pay over there!
Nermal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:46 PM   #14
richardsonrs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afurry13 View Post
This is for no contract only. AKA AT&T next or paying full price. Therefore it's $65 plus the monthly phone cost. Which brings it to about $90/month.

Still a rip off. Nice try. Stop tricking people with this AT&T Next ********.
That's the point. Off contract. They aren't hiding it, they are separating the two. Device and phone. Bring your own or buy one from them through next. Not that hard to figure out. People will bitch about anything. They lower the price and wah wah wah. Good god.
richardsonrs is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:48 PM   #15
afurry13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonrs View Post
That's the point. Off contract. They aren't hiding it, they are separating the two. Device and phone. Bring your own or buy one from them through next. Not that hard to figure out. People will bitch about anything. They lower the price and wah wah wah. Good god.
OK, so they lowered the price to $65 off contract. Big deal. Straight talk is $45/month off contract.

If you're going to go off contract, $65/month is not a good deal.

The whole point of the major carriers has been getting new phones under 2 year contracts. If you're not going to get the 2 year contract, there are way better options for you at a fraction of the cost. You don't need to fall for the Next, Edge, and Jump BS. It's not saving you any money.

Get a 2 year contract or buy outright and go with straight talk or another $45/month plan. Getting next, edge, or jump is throwing your money out the window.
afurry13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:54 PM   #16
drewyboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Get a 2 year contract or buy outright and go with straight talk or another $45/month plan. Getting next, edge, or jump is throwing your money out the window.
Buying outright and doing 3 years seems to be the best of both worlds. For my wife and I we did that with TMo and it's $80 plus a 10% discount for being Alumni with University of Minnesota. Make sure to check to see if you get a discount from the university you attended!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:56 PM   #17
richardsonrs
macrumors member

Quote:
OK, so they lowered the price to $65 off contract. Big deal. Straight talk is $45/month off contract.

If you're going to go off contract, $65/month is not a good deal.

The whole point of the major carriers has been getting new phones under 2 year contracts. If you're not going to get the 2 year contract, there are way better options for you at a fraction of the cost. You don't need to fall for the Next, Edge, and Jump BS.

They can afford to go cheaper since they don't own or pay for any of the towers and stuff that actually makes the device work. It doesn't work that way when you are actually responsible for the network. You can't just run around giving **** away. Not to mention next is simply an installment plan to help you get the phone if you want it. Purely optional and they don't make much on next anyways.
richardsonrs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:08 PM   #18
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to 869639
So why not just go with AT&T's GoPhone plan of $60?

$60/month 2GB Data, Unlimited Calling + Texting [International included], Full 4G + LTE Data [Not throttled by any proxy or anything so it does have the same low ping rates as the Post-Paid plans] and can actually be had for $54/month via Callingmart.com -- they have their 10% off just about every month and no tax or fees.

Finance your smartphone or just buy it outright......

I feel what the carriers are offering now, MVNO's have already allowed this for a long time [Along with AT&T it self via its Gophone service] but only thing exciting most people is that the fact the big carriers are now showing it on their plans list......for single line plans, its better to go with Gophone + Pay for your phone up front for maximum savings as its not worth financing...as much as people are blinded by the idea of paying monthly, you end up paying more because carriers still charge you more just for being post paid customer.
869639 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:09 PM   #19
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post

Yeah, but we're not in the clear yet. Don't forget that Softbank-owned Sprint still wants to acquire T-Mo.
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:22 PM   #20
vpndev
macrumors regular

mine-detector

AT&T reminds of the old joke about the [insert looked-down-upon-ethnic-minority] mine detector.

Stomp stomp stomp
vpndev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:22 PM   #21
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Does this plan allow tethering?

(I've always wondered why the smaller plans don't! Tethering uses a lot of data, and if the plans did AT&T would probably make even more money from overages! I wonder if they just don't want to deal with people calling and complaining about said overages.)
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:24 PM   #22
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinless View Post
This is actually more in line with how single-line monthly plans should be, comparing to my unlimited (22% work-discount) Sprint plan of around $67/mo. Glad to see carriers are moving away from punishing single-line users.

Now if only Verizon would follow suit... they're the only ones with decent coverage where I live.
They already have. I have a single line 2gb plan for $60 a month
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:27 PM   #23
pittpanthersfan
macrumors 6502

So, if I'm reading AT&T's website correctly, for someone who is mid-contract, switching to the new 2GB plan would be:

$40 for the plan (unlimited talk, text, 2GB data)
+ $40 for being under contract
_____
$80 per month (plus taxes/fees)

And this includes unlimited international texting and tethering.

If this is all correct, I'll be switching to this tomorrow.
pittpanthersfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:28 PM   #24
vpndev
macrumors regular

Bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonrs View Post
They can afford to go cheaper since they don't own or pay for any of the towers and stuff that actually makes the device work. It doesn't work that way when you are actually responsible for the network. You can't just run around giving **** away.
Sure they can. Just stop paying CEOs and the like such obscene salaries.

Don't think that MVNOs get their time from AT&T/Verizon for free. They don't own the towers but they pay for [a piece of] them.
vpndev is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:38 PM   #25
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post

The parent company of T-Mobile wants to sell them off so it will happen sooner or later. We should find out by the end of the year if Sprint buys out T-Mobile.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpndev View Post
Just stop paying CEOs and the like such obscene salaries.
Like that's ever going to happen .
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion