Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StangGT909

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Pretty sure, just want to confirm,

If I cancel Verizon, can I take my 5S to ATT and just insert one of their same size SIM cards?

StangGT909

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks
With the $100 new line credit, that takes my signed up for in September ETF 350-50-100 = $200
Not too shappy

serega

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Seattle
Pretty sure, just want to confirm,

If I cancel Verizon, can I take my 5S to ATT and just insert one of their same size SIM cards?

I switch my Verizon 5S to ATT just less then week ago. Absolutely seamless. Only what they did is put different phone ID in their system (brought new 5C and put that ID) because according to the guy it did not accept it. All works perfect, call and LTE. On my page in ATT it doesn't know what my phone is however. It shows my sisters ATT iPhone 5 correctly. It doesn't show my wife's Verizon Note 2 correctly also, but phone works fine after two, almost sleepless night messing with APN settings and listening her voice that if I will not make it work she will get a new phone soon.

StangGT909

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Hmm weird story about the note but since the 5s model is the same, I assumed it should just work

On a 4 line plan so $40x4=160 on verizon
$15x4=60. On att

That's a hundred a month!

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
I just purchased a used Vzw 5s and it works flawlessly with TMO. Enjoy the cheaper payments!

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Tmobile still has a pathetically small network that sucks outside of major cities. I wouldn't trade my Verizon signal for anything. I can go anywhere and am on rock solid LTE!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Hmm weird story about the note but since the 5s model is the same, I assumed it should just work

On a 4 line plan so $40x4=160 on verizon
$15x4=60. On att

That's a hundred a month!

Don't you still have to add the 10GB data plan to qualify for the $15/mo for each additional line? Since the 10GB is $100, you're practically paying the same amount but you do have free tethering now and AT&T's network :).

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Tmobile still has a pathetically small network that sucks outside of major cities. I wouldn't trade my Verizon signal for anything. I can go anywhere and am on rock solid LTE!

Agreed 100% for my area.

Tmobile did just sweeten the plans today too
Hmmm

I transferred my Verizon 5S to T-Mobil, and than back again after seeing what rockitdog mentioned. If you even think of T-Mobil, you better find out the speeds in your area first or be prepared to go back to Verizon or AT&T.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
great decision ... i have nothing but good things to say about AT&T, at least in NY.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I switch my Verizon 5S to ATT just less then week ago. Absolutely seamless. Only what they did is put different phone ID in their system (brought new 5C and put that ID) because according to the guy it did not accept it. All works perfect, call and LTE. On my page in ATT it doesn't know what my phone is however. It shows my sisters ATT iPhone 5 correctly. It doesn't show my wife's Verizon Note 2 correctly also, but phone works fine after two, almost sleepless night messing with APN settings and listening her voice that if I will not make it work she will get a new phone soon.

U have to root the verizon note 2 to change the apn especially for mms settings. Verizon makes it a pain.

Only Verizon other windows phone like the HTC 8x it's not even possible to change the apn. Gotta love Verizon doing a half baked process making their 4g lte devices "unlocked" per FCC agreement. They throw many road blocks on all their non apple lte devices.

Notice I said non apple devices. Cause apple don't let Verizon mess around. So iPhone 5, 5c and 5s from Verizon works perfectly with ATT with nothing to do from the user end point since apple controls the settings and it's automatically configured when SIM card is put in.

StangGT909

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Don't you still have to add the 10GB data plan to qualify for the $15/mo for each additional line? Since the 10GB is $100, you're practically paying the same amount but you do have free tethering now and AT&T's network :).

Already paying a lot for 4 lines, the $100 base rate doesn't kill the deal, it's still a HUGE savings for the line prices.

If you had to buy new phones, it wouldn't be a great deal but if the phones just instantly work with a new SIM from ATT, it's a no brainer

serega

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Seattle
U have to root the verizon note 2 to change the apn especially for mms settings. Verizon makes it a pain.

Only Verizon other windows phone like the HTC 8x it's not even possible to change the apn. Gotta love Verizon doing a half baked process making their 4g lte devices "unlocked" per FCC agreement. They throw many road blocks on all their non apple lte devices.

Notice I said non apple devices. Cause apple don't let Verizon mess around. So iPhone 5, 5c and 5s from Verizon works perfectly with ATT with nothing to do from the user end point since apple controls the settings and it's automatically configured when SIM card is put in.

Sadly my wife discovered that she can not use mms, it's not working. I have never root a phone but I guess it's something I need to learn. I would get her iPhone but I'm waiting for a next one if it will be bigger, she wants bigger phone. I will google around tonight for website that would give me directions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.