Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFO 1K

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
Several questions and some mis-information - here are some answers:

If you're on a contract currently, with 2GB, you need to request the migration to the new plan. When you do that, your smartphone will rerate at $25/mo. If you do nothing, your rate will not change.

You'll get tethering/hotspot, International Texting from domestic locations.

You still have to fulfill your two year agreement but you do get the lower per month line charge. When your two year agreement is over, you can get a new device using Next, BYOD or get a new subsidized smartphone which would rerate the line at $40.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
No kidding; it's shocking how much they pay over there! :eek:

The grass is greener on the other side.

Cable, internet, and phone are awful in the United States but at least we have..... uh..... you know I am not quite sure these days. Public transportation is awful, taxes are high, education and health are bottoming out.

Well, we do have Pabst Blue Ribbon. 'Murica..... Hell yeah!

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
Because I can't bring my device of choice. They refuse to allow iPhones on that plan. Why? I have no idea.

What...lol...this isn't 2009.

I have used my iPhone 5S on it successfully as well as iPhone 5 without issues....never needed to configure any APN settings or anything.

Full MMS, Data, Texting etc all worked without issues....I even called in and told them to update my IMEI on the account to my iPhone 5 when I had it, didn't do it for iPhone 5S as all I had to do was insert the SIM and move on with life....

and whose "they"? I did my activation online, 0 issues and then called them to initiate port from Straight Talk at the time. I recently switched back to straight talk because It wasn't worth for me to pay $54 when I can pay $42 and have that extra 500MB Data...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Overages means customers swearing they didnt do it and wanting credits. And hiring more csr agents

Does this plan allow tethering?

(I've always wondered why the smaller plans don't! Tethering uses a lot of data, and if the plans did AT&T would probably make even more money from overages! I wonder if they just don't want to deal with people calling and complaining about said overages.)

iPhil

macrumors 68040
So, if I'm reading AT&T's website correctly, for someone who is mid-contract, switching to the new 2GB plan would be:

$40 for the plan (unlimited talk, text, 2GB data)
+ $40 for being under contract
_____
$80 per month (plus taxes/fees)

And this includes unlimited international texting and tethering.

If this is all correct, I'll be switching to this tomorrow.

if your in mid-contract - you can upgrade now but if you want iPhone 6 wait or you'll trade current phone in - then pay the difference on the 5s ( 16- $300 + the iPhone 5s "9 months remaining" on the year next plan ) so on ..

if you go family share plan its $15 per smart phone .. only way to "lose" the $15 promotion per phone is keep on doing 2yr contract way ..

the plan below would be $260 per month if we stay 2 yr plan

With the Family share promotion $160 per month
my family just switched to Family 10 GB share plan (unlimited talk / text (including intl ) and 10 GB of data = 4 Smartphones - 3- iPhone 4s & 1 iPhone 5 (mine) ...

Had total combined 1 GB data per month with couple overCharges of Data before switched each bill would be 180+ on those months..

I can turn my iPhone 5 into LTE hotspot when ever I want to for free...

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
If this is for off contract phones only I'm not sure what, if any, advantage there is to a post-paid plan for $65 plus about $12 in taxes versus a pre-paid plan with same unlimited talk/text and 2GB for $60 all inclusive?

Edit: Just saw this post.

So why not just go with AT&T's GoPhone plan of $60?

$60/month 2GB Data, Unlimited Calling + Texting [International included], Full 4G + LTE Data [Not throttled by any proxy or anything so it does have the same low ping rates as the Post-Paid plans] and can actually be had for $54/month via Callingmart.com -- they have their 10% off just about every month and no tax or fees.

Last edited:

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
$65 :eek: i couldnt afford an iPhone in the US. i have 4.6 GB lte + hotspot for free, in fact i make 25 cent after two years thx to 3rd party providers living of off signing phone contracts over here (commission)

How much would you pay to make phone calls if you traveled 1000 miles in any direction? You would end up in another country and be paying much more, where as these plans cover a much larger area.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
This is for no contract only. AKA AT&T next or paying full price. Therefore it's $65 plus the monthly phone cost. Which brings it to about $90/month.

Still a rip off. Nice try. Stop tricking people with this AT&T Next ********.

Buy a nexus 5 or Moto X instead of an overpriced iPhone than. At&T is tired of subsidizing apples business model. All the carriers are.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
The grass is greener on the other side.

Cable, internet, and phone are awful in the United States but at least we have..... uh..... you know I am not quite sure these days. Public transportation is awful, taxes are high, education and health are bottoming out.

Well, we do have Pabst Blue Ribbon. 'Murica..... Hell yeah!

At least we don't have socialized medicine.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
2GB / unlimited tal and text. / $60

Verizon.

That is insane pricing.

In Australia I pay $40 a month for unlimited talk, text and 5GB of data.

This is the main problem with US customers.

You've all been screwed for so long you cheer about a deal that is still 50% more expensive than the rest of the world, for half the service.

Shift your attitudes. Companies charge these prices because people think they're getting a bargain, when they are being screwed. They charge the price that the market will accept.

Threaten to change carriers. Tell them what you're willing to pay. If they won't deliver then leave. Market competition only works if you force them to compete.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
That is insane pricing.

You've all been screwed for so long you cheer about a deal that is still 50% more expensive than the rest of the world, for half the service.

That is easy for you to say. ;)

Seriously, until now, there wasn't any real competition. So, everyone is excited because they are finally seeing real competition. It may be 50% more expensive than what you experience, but, it is about 1/3 what people were paying a few years ago.

Shift your attitudes. Companies charge these prices because people think they're getting a bargain, when they are being screwed. They charge the price that the market will accept.

Threaten to change carriers. Tell them what you're willing to pay. If they won't deliver then leave. Market competition only works if you force them to compete.

Until the last 2-3 years, such threats were idle, because there wasn't anywhere else to go. Now, people have options.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
That is insane pricing.

In the UK, I can pay £15 and get unlimited everything. Sure, that's without a phone, but it's still way cheaper.

You poor Americans :(.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Buy a nexus 5 or Moto X instead of an overpriced iPhone than. At&T is tired of subsidizing apples business model. All the carriers are.

Don't be such a hater!! This has nothing to do with the iPhone. With that line of thinking the carriers are tired of all flagship phones which is absurd!

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
At least we don't have socialized medicine.

That's right. You have a lot of sick people who can't afford to get healthy.

Here in the UK, you need a hip replacement, you get one. Doesn't depend on you being rich.

We also don't pay the ridiculous kind of money that you put up with for your phone 'plans'. Strike that - I mean stupidly ridiculous kind of money.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
That's right. You have a lot of sick people who can't afford to get healthy.

Here in the UK, you need a hip replacement, you get one. Doesn't depend on you being rich.

We also don't pay the ridiculous kind of money that you put up with for your phone 'plans'. Strike that - I mean stupidly ridiculous kind of money.

100% agree.

TiBook550

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Atl, GA
Gotta love it whenever the international crowd stop by in these U.S. carrier threads to spout off on how much better they are in only paying a fraction of the cost for cellular service.:rolleyes:

News flash: We get it!

Don't be so smug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.