Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
Don't know about the D-Links but most manufacturers explicitly advertise their device's time machine capability. Check their website or ask their support.

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
Can I use my D-Link NAS as the drive for a TM backup?
How?

Barney

There might be some unoficial work-around but it is not supportée by Apple, so if you find a way to make it work, at anytime an update could screw it. Sorry

----------

Some manufacturer (don't Knowl about d-link) might have their own back up software that work with macs but not directly with Time Machine

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can I use my D-Link NAS as the drive for a TM backup?
How?

Barney

Is it this DNS-320L model?. It looks like that model does supports Apple's Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) and I see in the reviews on Amazon it has support for Time Machine, so yes it will work.

The downside with any of these NAS solutions is sometimes Apple will update OS X with changes to AFP and that can break Time Machine compatibility until the NAS vendor come out with an update to address the issue.

When Mavericks recently came out there were quite a few forum posts form NAS users who experienced this.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Not sure why you want to trust it but page 90 of the user manual has something like this:

"This.section.allows.the.user.to.configure.the.device.so.that.it.becomes.a.backup.destination.in.the.Mac.OS.X.Time.Machine..In.order.to.use.this. function,.the.AFP.service.is.required..The.AFP.service.will.start.automatically.as.soon.as.this.function.is.enabled..

Enable Time Machine:
Click.this.to.enable.the.Time.Machine.function. to.work.with.a.MAC.OS.X.Time.Machine..The. Time. Machine. Settings. list. will. appear. when. this.checkbox.is.ticked.

A. list. of. destination. folders. on. the. Network. Shares.associated.with.the.Time.Machine. backup.
Click.to.add.a.NAS.folder.as.a.Time.Machine. destination.
Click.to.delete.a.NAS.folder.setup. Deletes.all.of.the.NAS.folders.in.the.list."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.