Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Wow, I thought I texted a lot :eek: I've been using the same backup since 2010 and have thousands of messages and they only take up 590MB

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
did you try a reboot?

Rebooting won't do anything. Its a bug in the file system that we do not have access to. Therefore, deleting the messages, rebooting and syncing will not fix the problem.

Wow, I thought I texted a lot :eek: I've been using the same backup since 2010 and have thousands of messages and they only take up 590MB

Well the issue would have only occurred while you were on iOS 6.0. Before you updated to 6.0 and after you updated to 6.1, the bug was not occurring, so only attachments sent/received during that 3-4 month time frame would have affected you.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Here is the bigger question...

Do you send and receive pics/video constantly? If not, I have a VERY hard time believing that you have 10+ gigs of messages. No, I am not calling you a liar. I am suggesting there may be some sort of glitch involved here...

It's the photos/videos. I regularly build up gigs of iMessage convos that I have to clear out.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
There's a good thread on here on how to clear it out. It had to do with some backups carrying over messages that were deleted. I had 6gb of messages that I had to delete through a process a user on the forums outlined.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
did you try a reboot?

Of course. This issue has been following me through different iPhones.

I deleted them manually on my Mac with ibackupbot then restored to the edited back up. All is well, got the 1.7 gb of space back on my phone and iCloud.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Believe me, Ibackupbot is the easiest way to clear down the storage taken up with deleted messages. Only takes a couple of minutes and works every time for me. There is still a bug in IOS with clearing down of old messages and so I do some housekeeping every couple of months to clear out the saved messages on both my iPhone and iPad

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Not seeing this as an issue on my phone.

I thought I text a lot, but compared to you all. I practically don't even use my messaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.