Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
The best idea for a lot of reasons is to use BOTH iCloud Keychain and 1Password or LastPass.

This means that the iCK will work inside the browser on iOS (due to sandboxing, other apps do not, so you have to copy/paste from outside iOS Safari), while also having backup copies in 1P/LP, which are also available for cross-platform use.

256-bit AES encryption is fine for this type of storage, we're not talking about national security here, where professional (often state-sponsored) hackers are continually making attempts to gain national secrets, but just passwords to average joe's logins!
256 is still VERY VERY hard to break, so give yourselves a break and go with it's ease of use... :rolleyes:

Also, it is strongly suggested to use LONG random alpha-numerical pw's anyway, as normal words can be guessed using software. And storing them 'in my head' &/or on paper is a bad idea logically – a bang on the head or simply forgetting them, or losing the paper/book, and you're entirely screwed! (do people REALLY still do either of these, or are they joking...as they cannot be serious in the year 2014, can they?!?!)

Last edited:

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
I use it in conjunction with 1Password4 - and it works surprisingly well...

I was initially hesitant to purchase 1Password, given it's cost. And the fact that the new Keychain worked quite well at saving my passwords, and syncing across all my devices seamlessly.

What I did find problematic with Keychain, was that certain websites caused problems. Those 'pop-up' log-in sites, were sometimes not recognised by the Keychain. So when I inserted a Keychain password suggestion, it was sometimes not recognised, and thus - the password (as suggested), was never saved - forcing a Forgot Password reset through the site.

I was furthermore a bit concerned about getting in too deep with Keychain, since I also use a work pc - and travel frequently. I was nervous at being locked out, were I to use devices where iCloud couldn't cover [I might have missed something here - or something might have changed since looking the 1st time, so not sure if this is still (or ever was) an issue].

So when 1Password4 went discounted after Heartbleed - took the plunge on the Mac and iOS. The Dropbox feature will help if I'm traveling - although, might need to simplify its password before hitting the road - since imagine having my laptop bag stolen, along with my iPhone - would not be able to lookup my password to open DB, to unlock all the others!!

I therefore use 1Password to create/monitor/change/reveal my passwords - but also update Keychain across all devices, which mostly allows me to log-in, without having to open/unlock 1Password each time.

Kind of think the above gives me the best of both worlds - so very happy I bought it.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I use it in conjunction with 1Password4 - and it works surprisingly well...

I was initially hesitant to purchase 1Password, given it's cost. And the fact that the new Keychain worked quite well at saving my passwords, and syncing across all my devices seamlessly.

What I did find problematic with Keychain, was that certain websites caused problems. Those 'pop-up' log-in sites, were sometimes not recognised by the Keychain. So when I inserted a Keychain password suggestion, it was sometimes not recognised, and thus - the password (as suggested), was never saved - forcing a Forgot Password reset through the site.

I was furthermore a bit concerned about getting in too deep with Keychain, since I also use a work pc - and travel frequently. I was nervous at being locked out, were I to use devices where iCloud couldn't cover [I might have missed something here - or something might have changed since looking the 1st time, so not sure if this is still (or ever was) an issue].

So when 1Password4 went discounted after Heartbleed - took the plunge on the Mac and iOS. The Dropbox feature will help if I'm traveling - although, might need to simplify its password before hitting the road - since imagine having my laptop bag stolen, along with my iPhone - would not be able to lookup my password to open DB, to unlock all the others!!

I therefore use 1Password to create/monitor/change/reveal my passwords - but also update Keychain across all devices, which mostly allows me to log-in, without having to open/unlock 1Password each time.

Kind of think the above gives me the best of both worlds - so very happy I bought it.

I'm doing the same thing as well and got 1Password on sale at the same time. I love iCloud Keychain, but it's lacking a lot of features. When I need to access a password thought iCloud Keychain, it's a pain to scroll through all the password.
One issue I came across was making a password for Best Buy (I believe) and it won take symbols as part of the password. 1Password can use all letters and numbers if I wanted too.
It seems you and I have the same set up here and it's working great for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.