Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Understandably they're not happy but are their actions illegal or are they just taking advantage of existing tax codes?

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Loopholes like such need to be closed and business need to be forced to pay the tax owed. In my opinion tax avoidance is a very dirty business practice and needs to be stamped out as quickly as possible.

If I didn't pay all my tax, they'd be hell to pay.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Understandably they're not happy but are their actions illegal or are they just taking advantage of existing tax codes?

Apparently it's legal. And I agree -- the problem is with the laws, not Apple itself. I'm wondering if Oppenheimer's departure will bring a change in how Apple deals with those laws.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Loopholes like such need to be closed and business need to be forced to pay the tax owed. In my opinion tax avoidance is a very dirty business practice and needs to be stamped out as quickly as possible.

If I didn't pay all my tax, they'd be hell to pay.

As an American citizen who takes every deduction I possibly can I see nothing wrong with what Apple does. Now if governments want to close loopholes and then lower everyone's tax rates I would support that. But honestly businesses shouldn't pay taxes, individuals should. A business isn't an individual and every individual that works for a business pays taxes. Besides when businesses are taxed they just pass in on to the consumer. I know first hand as I work for an insurance company and all the new Obamacare taxes levied on us are just being passed on to the consumer in the form of rate increases/higher premiums.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
As an American citizen who takes every deduction I possibly can I see nothing wrong with what Apple does. Now if governments want to close loopholes and then lower everyone's tax rates I would support that. But honestly businesses shouldn't pay taxes, individuals should. A business isn't an individual and every individual that works for a business pays taxes. Besides when businesses are taxed they just pass in on to the consumer. I know first hand as I work for an insurance company and all the new Obamacare taxes levied on us are just being passed on to the consumer in the form of rate increases/higher premiums.

how on earth can you you find tax deductions and tax loopholes (either lobbied for or through investigative work which both equal a lot $) comparable? its as relevant to me as bringing in automobiles in the gun debate.

and higher taxes for individuals (salary or goods) would not require a higher cost on the businesses themselves?

fact of the matter is that any cost on businesses is too much for them and for them enough is never enough no matter the collateral damage.

countries/governments on this planet need to stick together. there needs to be balance.

and for reference or disclosure i live in a country with universal healthcare and worked over 5 years in a primary vendor to government run hospitals and healthcare industry.

Last edited:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
But honestly businesses shouldn't pay taxes, individuals should.
. They do on an individual level.

A business isn't an individual and every individual that works for a business pays taxes.
Nonsense, legally speaking business are entities just like humans and in many cases they are set up very specifically legally so that individuals of the company are not as affected. But businesses are a legal entity that make money and therefore, it’s considered taxable income. The individuals of the company get money from the companies profits and income, but not all of those monies are in people’s hands.

If what you would propose is true, than all companies would be are shells to avoid people paying taxes personally since they could keep all of their money in a business they have sole control over.

Besides when businesses are taxed they just pass in on to the consumer.

All business pass on their expenses to consumers and they will raise their prices to make a buck. That’s just the reality of things. They aren’t going to lower prices if they could avoid taxes, they would just record more profit.

I know first hand as I work for an insurance company and all the new Obamacare taxes levied on us are just being passed on to the consumer in the form of rate increases/higher premiums.

New flash. Insurance companies raise their rates all the time. They never needed the affordable care act to raise rates before. Insurance companies raising rates is standard operating procedure.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

So you're okay with the rich corporations and companies getting away with paying less than the fair amount of tax to support the country they work and operate in, simply because they are rich and can get away with it? Seriously?

If you ask me, it has been getting beyond being funny and now its time for the money. I'm glad the UK government has been putting pressure on companies such as Google and Starbucks who get away with paying next to no tax at all. It is time this nonsense was stopped.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
So you're okay with the rich corporations and companies getting away with paying less than the fair amount of tax to support the country they work and operate in, simply because they are rich and can get away with it? Seriously?

If you ask me, it has been getting beyond being funny and now its time for the money. I'm glad the UK government has been putting pressure on companies such as Google and Starbucks who get away with paying next to no tax at all. It is time this nonsense was stopped.

not that i disagree with you but fair is subjective and can mean whatever you want.

as i say its time regulators on this planet stick together. if apple wont pay tax in australia then give put up some tariffs ala brazil. same with every other country and every other company. there is not an unlimited number of countries and people on this planet.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

No I specifically said individuals should pay taxes and corporations are not individuals. Let Bill Gates pay taxes not Microsoft. Let Warren Buffett pay taxes not Berkshire Hathaway. And all these rich liberals that think the government should take care of people cradle to grave, let them pay more in taxes. Nothing, absolutely nothing is stopping them from writing a big fat check to the government.

----------

not that i disagree with you but fair is subjective and can mean whatever you want.

as i say its time regulators on this planet stick together. if apple wont pay tax in australia then give put up some tariffs ala brazil. same with every other country and every other company. there is not an unlimited number of countries and people on this planet.

Stop making corporations pay taxes is a good start. Then people will get cheaper products because no taxes are being passed on to them.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Stop making corporations pay taxes is a good start. Then people will get cheaper products because no taxes are being passed on to them.

Thats a laugh. If companies has to pay less tax, they would just add it to their profits - especially if they have shareholders demanding high profits. Reducing prices is the last thing they would do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.