Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armalite

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
NE Ohio
It won't let you download Win 8.1 or ISO to Maverick. I watched a tutorial on youtube and it was great until the guy said "use a pc" I have a flashdrive and downloaded some of the stuff through bootcamp then it says installer disc cannot be found. I don't have a disc I'm trying to download the damn thing. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Can someone please point me in the right direction?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
It won't let you download Win 8.1 or ISO to Maverick. I watched a tutorial on youtube and it was great until the guy said "use a pc" I have a flashdrive and downloaded some of the stuff through bootcamp then it says installer disc cannot be found. I don't have a disc I'm trying to download the damn thing. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Can someone please point me in the right direction?
As already pointed out by the previous post, you need to download the Win 8.1 ISO through a computer running Windows. If you already have a Boot Camp Windows partition in another Mac, that's where you run the WindowsSetupBox.exe program and it will download the ISO that is over 3GB in size and then you copy the ISO to the Mac Pro to prepare for the USB installer under Boot Camp Assistant.

Follow Option 2 from this tutorial to download Win 8.1 ISO.

armalite

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
NE Ohio
thank you for the help I have an imac maybe I can run bootcamp on that one and install Win 7, will try

armalite

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
NE Ohio
This little computer is a huge pain in the ass. I put Win 7 on my imac then did what I was supposed to make the iso image for Win 8.1 then put that image on my usb flash all formatted but when I tried to install on the little PITA I now get a message saying that there's no windows support on the drive and to go back and install it, I go back and now the ****** thing says I have to format the damn thumb again. I'm not the brightest person but I am really losing it today trying to get Win 8.1 installed on this thing. Am I the only one?

lupinglade

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2010
This little computer is a huge pain in the ass. I put Win 7 on my imac then did what I was supposed to make the iso image for Win 8.1 then put that image on my usb flash all formatted but when I tried to install on the little PITA I now get a message saying that there's no windows support on the drive and to go back and install it, I go back and now the ****** thing says I have to format the damn thumb again. I'm not the brightest person but I am really losing it today trying to get Win 8.1 installed on this thing. Am I the only one?

First you need to choose option one (and two if you want i think) in bootcamp to generate an installation thumb drive using the downloaded ISO. Then choose option three to begin installation with the thumb connected.

Before you proceed with option 3, make sure you quit all other open programs as there is a possibility that the shutdown can get cancelled (if there are unsaved documents/prompts) and then the bootcamp installation will not proceed, requiring you to undo the bootcamp partition and repeat step 3.

PS. This does work with upgrade versions of Win 8 as well.

Last edited:

ogilloire

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2014
Forgive my basic question, what do you need windows for generally?

In these past few years I never had the need once for a windows dual boot, just curious if i'm missing out on something!

Games perhaps?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
What? You can't download Windows 8 from Microsoft official site unless you're using Windows? That's terrible! :mad:

armalite

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
NE Ohio
Thanks and I will try again today. I don't understand why I'm having such a hard time with this but I am.

I use Win for gaming.

If this nMP would have let me load up Win7 then all would have been well but NOOOOOOO it said only Win 8 or higher. I'm buying a Microsoft product so you would think they would make it easier.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks and I will try again today. I don't understand why I'm having such a hard time with this but I am.

I use Win for gaming.

If this nMP would have let me load up Win7 then all would have been well but NOOOOOOO it said only Win 8 or higher. I'm buying a Microsoft product so you would think they would make it easier.

There may be some way to get it to work, but Apple only organizes bootcamp drivers for the latest OS. It's probably a smaller overall market for MS.

armalite

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
NE Ohio
I don't get it, I follow the directions and create the image on my iMac in Win 7 then burn it to thumb drive then take the drive and insert it in nMP, open bootcamp and try downloading windows support software only to get a box that says the thumb has to be formatted which means I lose everything on it again. WTF am I doing wrong??? I wasted the whole day yesterday on this and now again. I read that tutorial so many times and I will be dreaming about it but everything seems to be going wrong with my thumb drive San Disk 64gb 3.0 and it not being formatted. If I format it on my nMP then when I bring it to the iMac it has to be erased before the ISO image file gets loaded on.

I'm going crazy here, sorry for these posts but I'm stumped

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I don't get it, I follow the directions and create the image on my iMac in Win 7 then burn it to thumb drive then take the drive and insert it in nMP, open bootcamp and try downloading windows support software only to get a box that says the thumb has to be formatted which means I lose everything on it again. WTF am I doing wrong???
First, you don't burn the ISO downloaded to the thumb drive on your iMac. You just need to copy the ISO from iMac to nMP, and Boot Camp Assistant will do the "burning" part for you. Just format the thumb drive as FAT 32, and only copy the downloaded ISO to your nMP.

armalite

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
NE Ohio
I followed that tutorial then downloaded the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.

So I just copied from imac to thumb and now copied from thumb to nMP and now bootcamp is copying the ISO. OH I hope this works. Sorry for being a PITA on here

armalite

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
NE Ohio
OMG this Win 8.1 is God Awful!!!! They are such idiots over there at Microsoft with this ridiculous tablet design for desktops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.