Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Has anyone seen trouble with Communicator in Office 2011? I can not get the "call" feature to work.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
NOTE: MS Office 2011 Mac is NOT compatible with Retina Display of MacBook Pro 2012 Retina!!!

That's disingenuous and deliberately sensationalized.

Compatibility ≠ optimized. Office 2011 works fine on an MBP Retina. Just as non Retina-enhanced iPhone apps work just fine on an iPhone 4/4S. That it does not have Retina graphics does not make it it incompatible.

Look up the word compatible in the dictionary some time, because you don't seem to understand it.

Last edited:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
yes, 2011 is MUCH better than 2008.

I disagree, and I disagree for one simple reason: Ribbons. Like a huge chunk of other Microsoft users out there, I find the entire ribbon concept god-awful.

----------

Sigh. Now I'm gonna have to buy 2011.

Why? Are you still on Office 2004 or older? Because, you know, they clearly said that Office 2008 is compatible with Mountain Lion and I can confirm this based upon my own experience.

----------

On the other hand, much of Office 2011 (excluding Outlook 2011) is written in Carbon 32-bit, which means no retina display support.

At the moment, there are only three or four people out there who would care. It's not that all Macs have magically turned into Macs with Retina displays over night. Heck, it's not even so that Apple would even be able to ship Retina Macs at the moment - look at the estimated shipping times in their online store.

kbade

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
In what way/s is 2011 much better than 2008? Why should I upgrade from 2008? Thanks!

Despite some people not liking the ribbon toolbar, it is much better than the buried tools of 2008. In 2008 I always had to go to obscure, 3rd menu deep places to find even some often used tools... I switched so long ago that I'm struggling to remember a specific example however. I seem to remember the special characters part being buried....

Also, I know that 2008 used to crab on my occasionally which I would prefer to replace with never... so I'll settle for the extremely rarely of 2011

Back to the ribbon, as a Windows user at work, 2011 put the tools in very similar places, which helps me to switch between working at home (mac) and work (pc)

terryblyth

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Walton-on-Thames, UK
I'm glad they're not broken. As much as I love iWork, there are some times when I just have to use Word or Excel because of missing features.

That said, I've not yet had the need to use PowerPoint over Keynote!

What concerns me is when iCloud functionality is built into Office. I can see me having to open both Word and Pages occasionally to find out where I've stored a particular document. As I've got close to hundreds of these, I can't wait for nested folders to happen!

a1exey1azar

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Washington DC
That's disingenuous and deliberately sensationalized.

Compatibility ≠ optimized. Office 2011 works fine on an MBP Retina. Just as non Retina-enhanced iPhone apps work just fine on an iPhone 4/4S. That it does not have Retina graphics does not make it it incompatible.

Look up the word compatible in the dictionary some time, because you don't seem to understand it.

Thank you for your English lesson. English is my 4th one.

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
DO NOT install Mountain Lion with older Macs

I have a 2008 2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon that was running brilliantly and at the very top of the scale for speed.

I installed Mountain Lion and fought for 28 hours to make it work, never could.

First thing is I lost Microsoft outlook. I rebuilt the database a dozen times and it never took.

Microsoft Office 2011 - WITH current updates, did not allow Word to work - it took about a minute to load along with excel. Forget trying to type of calculate it was slow as molasses.

Today I gave up, I reinstalled 10.7.4 from and all is back to normal. Speed is back to 100% and Microsoft and other programs POP again.

That was a close on for me, not being able to access thousands of E-mails.

jfjoyner3

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Spinning color wheel in Outlook (Office) for Mac AFTER Mountain Lion upgrade

After processing a few emails I get a spinning color wheel. The stem hangs for a minutes, then I can resume my activity.

Never happened until the Mountain Lion upgrade.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have experienced some sort of memory leak when using Word 2011. After an hour or so, all of the word menus and pop up have nothing in them (Blank). Its a struggle to get the document saved when this happens so I have to save on my own constantly.

There are ML issues with Office 2011 as this problem NEVER happened under Lion.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
If you want to run Microsoft just buy a pc. I don't understand why you would buy Apple and try and run Microsoft on it and then complain the programes do not work very well:rolleyes:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If you want to run Microsoft just buy a pc. I don't understand why you would buy Apple and try and run Microsoft on it and then complain the programes do not work very well:rolleyes:

Because i bought office MAC 2011 which is designed for Mac OS. Is that not the topic of this thread?

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I have a 2008 2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon that was running brilliantly and at the very top of the scale for speed.

I installed Mountain Lion and fought for 28 hours to make it work, never could.

First thing is I lost Microsoft outlook. I rebuilt the database a dozen times and it never took.

Microsoft Office 2011 - WITH current updates, did not allow Word to work - it took about a minute to load along with excel. Forget trying to type of calculate it was slow as molasses.

Today I gave up, I reinstalled 10.7.4 from and all is back to normal. Speed is back to 100% and Microsoft and other programs POP again.

That was a close on for me, not being able to access thousands of E-mails.

I'm running on a 2008 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with no issues.

Melissa1130

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2014
Microsoft 2008 Disc will not install

This thread say's Microsoft 2008 is compatible with 10.8.5 but I cannot get the disc to run. I have a brand new disc and it sounds like it is going to run then it pops back out. Does anyone know how I get it to run?

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Microsoft 2008 Disc will not install

>>Microsoft 2008 Disc will not install
This thread say's Microsoft 2008 is compatible with 10.8.5 but I cannot get the disc to run. I have a brand new disc and it sounds like it is going to run then it pops back out. Does anyone know how I get it to run?<<

This sounds as if you are trying to put a DVD into a CD player.

I see you are trying to run 10.8.5 and Office 2008. I assume you are using older hardware.

What model of Mac do you have?
Does this mac have a DVD drive, or does it have a CD Drive?
Is your Microsoft Office 2008 on a CD or is it on a DVD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.