Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Samsung official contradicts report that Samsung is having problems. Big surprise. Are they having actual issues? We don't know because a person from inside Samsung talking up Samsung isn't particularly reputable. I'm also suspicious of the anonymous bit. Why does he need to be anonymous if he's not reporting a problem? Needless to day, my interests would have been piqued a little more if the report had been, "Anonymous Samsung Official says that Samsung is totally screwed."

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Also known as, just making stuff up.
Obviously none of these so called reporters have any idea what is going on.

If you pay attention to the language of the quote:

These "manufacturing issues" were "exaggerated claims"

This wan't made up out of thin air. Someone knew something and perhaps exaggerated it because they have an ax to grind? Or Samsung is just trying to cover their butts?

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
So the rumour about the rumoured production of the rumoured component has been superseded by another rumour which is in opposition to the original rumour making it clear that rumour mungers have no idea what is going on. :D

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
From a consumer perspective it really doesn't matter as long as it works

That's usually true, but for some here it's of utmost importance that Apple doesn't use Samsung for anything at all, even thought they produce some of the best components in the industry.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That's usually true, but for some here it's of utmost importance that Apple doesn't use Samsung for anything at all, even thought they produce some of the best components in the industry.

There are those that hate Samsung with all the passion in the world. Except that won't ever stop them from saying they will never buy ANYTHING made by Samsung. You know. Unless it just happens to be INSIDE an Apple device. But Samsung MUST die. :eek:

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
There are those that hate Samsung with all the passion in the world. Except that won't ever stop them from saying they will never buy ANYTHING made by Samsung. You know. Unless it just happens to be INSIDE an Apple device. But Samsung MUST die. :eek:

Here we go again with this inane argument. It is possible to loathe Samsung, swear to never own a Samsung branded product and still have an iPhone while being true to your convictions.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Here we go again with this inane argument. It is possible to loathe Samsung, swear to never own a Samsung branded product and still have an iPhone while being true to your convictions.

First of all - I was being sarcastic.

Second - the last sentence was the satirical one. There are several on here who wish Samsung's demise at any cost yet fail to accept the fact that a) Samsung is more than a phone manufacturer and b) such demise would cause quite a problem for their lovable tech.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
First of all - I was being sarcastic.

Second - the last sentence was the satirical one. There are several on here who wish Samsung's demise at any cost yet fail to accept the fact that a) Samsung is more than a phone manufacturer and b) such demise would cause quite a problem for their lovable tech.

Yes, I recognized the regurgitated sarcasm.

For the record, I'm not advocating or wishing for the death of Samsung but if the company did die, I'm not so sure it would affect Apple all that much. Someone else would certainly pick up the supplied component slack, like TSMC.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Nope! Mid September as usual. :D

Would they introduce it in June and sell them in September? I personally would just like to see what Apple has been working hard at since the 5S and of course upgrade to the 6. Please, please, a larger screen (4.7" - 5") and an iPad mini phablet and the iwatch.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
From all the lawsuits between Samsung and Apple, it is clear that it has all been about the OS and Software related patents. I have yet to see any issues or concerns with Samsung stealing hardware designs (other than the exterior/visible aspects). So, I doubt that Samsung making chips is as big a concern for Apple. Where I am going is that I am sure that on principle, if nothing else, Apple wants to get rid of Samsung, but there is no major urgency and I think Apple will do it as other plants come up to speed and can handle the volume and quality requirements. In the meantime, Apple will continue the relationship to use Samsung for chips.

Apple would like nothing better than to catch Samsung stealing chip designs. Then they could get a total ban on Samsung products. It would be a slam dunk.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live

yeah, these nerds need to get a life...

Why should they care more than Apple does?

EDIT: I apologize to nerds for calling Apple Zealots nerds...

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Phew that was lucky, Samsung would've been toast if they were truly sidelined by their unwitting mentor. Who would they copy [cough], I mean draw inspiration from if they had been?

It's a full time job copying the competition and rerouting your R & D budget into marketing, to ram your products down consumers throats. Genius business tactic - cheaper to copy and pay for patent infringement in court than to spend on original R & D.

Samsung are the equivalent of those dodgy market places in south east asia where you can buy cheap knock offs of anything from Armani suits to televisions. When are the courts going to stop this? I guess there is a political and economic motivation behind allowing Samsung to get away with this consistently - other than last year's victory.

No, they're not.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Just curious, but how can you say you will not give a company money by buying their products then turn around and willfully buy something containing their products and say your convictions are true?

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
From all the lawsuits between Samsung and Apple, it is clear that it has all been about the OS and Software related patents. I have yet to see any issues or concerns with Samsung stealing hardware designs (other than the exterior/visible aspects). So, I doubt that Samsung making chips is as big a concern for Apple. Where I am going is that I am sure that on principle, if nothing else, Apple wants to get rid of Samsung, but there is no major urgency and I think Apple will do it as other plants come up to speed and can handle the volume and quality requirements. In the meantime, Apple will continue the relationship to use Samsung for chips.

You do realize that corporations don't take things personally, right?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
On a semi-side note, is this future power necessary for a smart phone like the iPhone?

I wonder if these next rungs of A-chips might be better suited for larger formats like iPads and laptops. Sooner or later this tech will become unnecessarily powerful for such small screens and limited input/output.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
You do realize that corporations don't take things personally, right?

Corporations do not, but Officers of Corporations indeed do. Steve Jobs certainly did with his quote of going "nuclear" over Samsung. I suspect that Tim has a cooler head, but I would not be surprised if he also wants to get rid of Samsung.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013

I agree...Apple chooses not to get into making stuff that it can source from areas and companies that make it as good as they themselves could hope to make it..Samsung does great at producing high quality tech for apple and unless there is a dip in quality and/or an increase in the price charged by samsung, apple has really no reason to change its relationship with samsung. I have seen no reports claiming that samsung has infringed upon apple's design for its chips or other components. For apple the important thing is to increase its mobile business, they got over 150million mark this year with the iPhone. They will be looking @ 200 mill annual sales for the iPhone and 100 mill annual for the ipad in the comming years. Apple cannot do this without its partners that need to ramp up production for current and future devices. Samsung has delivered for them at every step.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
so, if the rumours about A8 production starting soon are true, do you think that it is actually possible that iPhone will get launched sooner than september? You know, getting back to the original june/july schedule?

That would be nice...except we aren't seeing the leaked parts yet.

Last edited:

philips

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
This Apple love/hate relationship with Samsung is nothing short of bizarre. :eek:

The level of publicity is unusual. And that's pretty much it.

The spats between CE (consumer electronics) companies are nothing new. And that - while they go on renting/lending manufacturing capacities from/to each other. In other words, the legal cases or corporate deals or aggressive marketing campaigns affect very little the day-to-day work. (Unless of course, the company is rotten to the core and there is no other day-to-day work but watching the C*O/VP politicking.)

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Just curious, but how can you say you will not give a company money by buying their products then turn around and willfully buy something containing their products and say your convictions are true?

Easy. You aren't buying a Samsung Branded product.

You have no idea what parts are in anything.

Using your logic, if I bought a product that was branded as Samsung, but Samsung didn't make any of the parts in the product, then I would not be supporting Samsung.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

Because there's a difference between a Samsung branded product and a product that may or may not have a Samsung produced component. I suppose you could go as far as boycotting absolutely everything that might have a Samsung component but my point of contention is for those that label anyone a hypocrite because they may swear to never buy a Samsung (branded) product but still own an iPhone, an iPad or whatever.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Using your logic, if I bought a product that was branded as Samsung, but Samsung didn't make any of the parts in the product, then I would not be supporting Samsung.

I am not sure how you came to that conclusion from my post as what I said wouldn't fit that statement at all. Not once did I say that if you are buying an Apple product with Samsung components you wouldn't be buying an Apple product.

----------

Because there's a difference between a Samsung branded product and a product that may or may not have a Samsung produced component. I suppose you could go as far as boycotting absolutely everything that might have a Samsung component but my point of contention is for those that label anyone a hypocrite because they may swear to never buy a Samsung (branded) product but still own an iPhone, an iPad or whatever.

There is that. These days not everything is a Samsung component since Apple has moved to different parts instead of Samsung Branded NAND, SoCs, HDD, SSD, displays and DRAM modules. However, with how much vitriol some of the users spit about Samsung here. One would think they would instantly ensure their devices have zero Samsung "taint" by taking them apart as soon as they buy them.

I just find it slightly amusing about how adamant some people are about a boycott but will take that risk just because of well... Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.