Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sunflowerchild

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
Come on, you guys!

Seriously, not one of these posts is worth the time it took to type it. If you don't have something useful to say, google before you reply! I am honestly shocked at how many useless replies have been posted here! Adjust the screen brightness, yeah, no duh.

Ok, enough ranting- here is the likely solution:

Macbook screen is dim- probably the problem is that either the inverter is dying or the CCFL bulb is wearing out. You can actually repair this yourself, if you are so inclined.

According to my research, there is about a 75% chance that it is the inverter and not the bulb, which is good because the bulb needs to be soldered, whereas I believe the inverter does not.

So, here is what you do:
1. Get this guide on disassembling your macbook
2. Decide if you can do this yourself or not.
3. If you decide you can, google "macbook CCFL inverter" and find a place to buy a replacement inverter. One site I looked at indicated the inverter would run you about $50. The bulb, should you need to replace that should cost around $10-15. Try the inverter first, though.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

clouty

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
As usual, when I have a problem with my 2.1 macbook, Mr Google directs me here ;) and I find the answer. It was not the one above this post, it was this bit of advice
To at least get the brightness set to a higher level do the following:

Go to your system preferences section and click on displays. You will notice that this is usually set to a low level and you can manually set it to a higher brightness.

I'm sure it used to be set in the centre of the available range, but it was down in 1/4 brightness. My Macbook is four years old.

Works for me!

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
DIM- Macbook(White '06-08) Display after replacement

I work at a High School as a Tech and have replaced MANY broken screens... we have about 1000 in the school. It seems that when we replace the screen, the new one is Dark. I have even gone back and used the original broken screen and a comparison and the replacement is DARK. Resetting PRAM, and checking the brightness... still real dark. A very few are normal, but most all are just DARK. We get them from Amazon to get the best price but and are making sure to get the ones that are for the exact model. Seeing this thread, I thought I would throw my findings into the mix. Any help is appreciated.

GabiKas

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2017
Hi, mine was very dim too, so I went to settings --> System --> Display, and selected off to ' Change brightness automatically when lighting changes' ! And it go so bright, had to lower it! Hope it helps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.