Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Apple Announces 'CarPlay' iOS Vehicle Integration Feature

How about a shipping example? Mirrorlink. The whole point of Mirrorlink was to provide the head unit to smartphone protocols needed to drive this sort of connectivity.

Samsung actually supports this in the S3/S4 using the Drive Link app.

But the downside is that is about the only devices actually shipping support on the smartphone side. Can buy head units that support it from Pioneer, Sony, and Kenwood's 2014 models support it.

Now, I don't think Apple is copying per se, but I am disappointed that they didn't just license MirrorLink unless it meant all 3rd party apps on iOS would also need to be MirrorLink certified, and create a burden on devs Apple didn't want which would stifle adoption.

Mirror link is basically Nokia's old terminal mode, Nokia abandoned it for good reason. It was slow and clunky when I demoed it back in 2010, at the valmet booth, I believe it was using a n97 or an e7 at the time. From my discussion with the engineer, they did not know how to commercialize it.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
CarPlay looks rather nice on the videos posted by Volvo, Mercedes and Ferrari.

Now that Apple is showing this, I think it is only a matter of time before Samsung present their own offering. I think it will be quite funny if Samsung does it based on Tizen and takes it to market before Google.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
If you cross the road without looking both ways you are either suicidal or an idiot. It's not a gamble between a 2 to 4 ton machine and a person. ELECTRIC VEHICLE OR NOT.

You want to save lives ban electric cars or put a couple of bells in the bonnet.

Qnx had the lead in the connected automotive space and blackberry squandered it.

Look at you grasping for straws, frankly it's pathetic and beyond pitiful.

Haven't I? Perhaps you have a reading comprehension (or just a comprehension) problem which would explain volumes, by the way.

You don't "need to provide" because you don't know what you are talking about sport, this is the moment to ****, politely.

You must be really stupid because Ferrari Volvo and Mercedes just allowed apple's walled garden into thier cars and qnx has nothing to do with it, everything is done on the iPhone, the display is similar to a dumb terminal with a touchscreen qnx is superseded. Furthermore, Volvo implementation of carplay utilizes android not qnx.

I had a demonstration

Unless you want to spread some more FUD claiming the iPhone runs qnx underneath iOS 7.
You really need to SDSTFU.

I'm done with this moron.

As I said, your incredibly arrogant and ignorant and a child. You slander a company for developing life saving technology JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT APPLE! How utterly pathetic is that? Or your somehow so amazing that you can sit their and claim all those people from children to adults run over everyday, and no doubt those that are killed also, are 'idiots'.... so speeding doesn't count, light, a car you cannot hear coming.. everyone that gets run over and killed according to you are idiots.
Yeap you are totally arrogant.

And I also NEVER ONCE stated iPhone runs QNX under iOS7, stop putting words in my mouth, and if you bothered to go and read the front of Mac Rumours, just like the link I POSTED then you would save yourself your utter embarrassment and see it has been CONFIRMED in a news story on the front of this very website that CarPlay will run on QNX enabled systems.

So you are now sat there, slandering and moaning about the very same system CarPlay from Apple works on, your comments are so laughable, you are such a huge hypocrite it's unbelievable.

Oh and how nice you have such an inferiority complex that you feel the need to state to everyone how you are done with me, I'm sure everyone on here cares so much about that.... not.

Last edited:

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Yes, good lord my sync works 100% totally fine! But I'm sure you also believe iOS7 has NO problems too right?

We are talking about ios7 now? Or ford sync?
Hmm:

FACTS would state otherwise of your COMPLETE ARROGANCE on this topic, you are displaying an incredible cavalier attitude to road safety here, look both way's, tell you what, graphical representation, go and stand over the body's of those who get run over daily and shout those very same words to them, see how you feel, because with any luck it'll make you feel as much of an idiot as you are to make that comment, what are you? Ten years old?

Oh and the US government for one has asked for electric cars to make noise for road safety...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-07/electric-cars-must-make-noises-can-hear-under-u-s-rule.html
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/government-requires-quiet-hybrids-to-add-more-vroom/

Oh and using your line of discussion then I must conclude Apple shows NO DIRECTION either when it designs a gear knob for Jaguar.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2007/09/the-apple-izati/

But no doubt you will attempt to defend that one eh, pass it off as some sort of design icon, yet you slander an electronics company for trying to save lives.. jeeesss

You haven't asked for any proof actually. And I don't need to provide you ANY proof of how smartphones are already integrated into car systems, go and google it yourself, it's not hard. Apple hasn't come up with anything new, despite your repeated desperate attempts to state otherwise.

Nothing new bothers me, as I already said and as it was proved today, Apple will NOT be allowed to bring a walled garden into cars. It will utilise other existing systems. Those exact same ones you seem to think Apple isn't copying :rolleyes:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/04/carplay-qnx-integration/

Are you replying to someone else?

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I am surprised that iPhones need to be physically connected via Lightning cables, I thought this would be a wireless solution e.g BlueTooth...

Why miss out on an opportunity to add a new feature in future? If they made it perfect with the first version nobody would ever upgrade. And they can't have that, can they?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
The article said Toyota will receive an update later. Does this mean Scion too?

I hope that it supports any of the existing QNX based car headunits they already have in the wild.

The Camry has had QNX based headunit as STANDARD since the 2012 model. to be honest, if suddenly Toyota gave an update for this, I would honestly consider buying a really cheap used iphone 4s, with a ridiculously cheap data plan, just to permanently have the map functionality as well as some other app support.

The Toyota maps aren't bad. They're just 10 years out of date and don't have any relevant traffic information.

If it somehow allowed me to use Waze on my built in LCD, I would be out in a second buying an iphone for my car

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I just bought a 2014 Nissan, do you think the update will allow me to use Carplay? Someone under another thread said no but this thread mentions Nissan as a partner and the other one didn't.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
30-pin and Lightning are completely different, the former passes along all signals over the 30 pins, but the latter is dependent on a controller on either end to negotiate which of the dynamic pin assignments to use.

good thing you aren't an electrical engineer, or planes would fall out of the sky...

Awesome, so what you did was not read my post, reply to what you thought I said but didn't, and decide to throw down some semi-witty derogatory remark in the process, neither adding to the discussion and completely not relevant to what I said. Would you like a gold star? or perhaps it would behoove you to brush up on the English language.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Apple Announces 'CarPlay' iOS Vehicle Integration Feature

Awesome, so what you did was not read my post, reply to what you thought I said but didn't, and decide to throw down some semi-witty derogatory remark in the process, neither adding to the discussion and completely not relevant to what I said. Would you like a gold star? or perhaps it would behoove you to brush up on the English language.

Mercedes is said to be retrofitting some of their older systems, I don't see why other automotive firms would not be able to do the same

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Mercedes is said to be retrofitting some of their older systems, I don't see why other automotive firms would not be able to do the same

I hope we see more of that. With Bluetooth streaming, which is supported by so many new cars now and their infotainment systems, you can control play/pause, track forward/back, and see artist/album/song data. However, most systems require a USB or proprietary cable connection to your iPhone to get album art as well as playlist control. Which I am assuming is related to the Bluetooth vs. direct connection functionality or limits. CarPlay seems to work via the later.

I think we will see a lot of companies coming out with retrofits for 2012-2014 vehicles, but probably not much further back than that. Honestly, I think that the best part of CarPlay will be access to onscreen Apple Maps and Music apps, as well as Siri integration.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Why miss out on an opportunity to add a new feature in future? If they made it perfect with the first version nobody would ever upgrade. And they can't have that, can they?

I don't believe that this is why Apple is not going wireless in the beginning. Some other commenters have raised the legitimate point of battery life, and how iOS devices might run low on battery power while sending video and audio to the dashboard. Apple likely has a solution to this up its sleeve, but the technology is not mature enough at this time for a public rollout. Apple has made clear that this is an evolutionary technology and they will be introducing it over time, both in the number of car manufaturers that will offer it, and in the technology itself. Patience is a virtue ;) :cool:

----------

Mirror link is basically Nokia's old terminal mode, Nokia abandoned it for good reason. It was slow and clunky when I demoed it back in 2010, at the valmet booth, I believe it was using a n97 or an e7 at the time. From my discussion with the engineer, they did not know how to commercialize it.

On the smartphone side, iOS is the operating system used, but on the in-dash console, it is QNX, which is what the newest BlackBerry devices run. Actually, QNX is fantastic software, it is lightweight and flexible too, there is a development environment based on Eclipse that makes it easy for developers to write apps for.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I don't believe that this is why Apple is not going wireless in the beginning. Some other commenters have raised the legitimate point of battery life, and how iOS devices might run low on battery power while sending video and audio to the dashboard. Apple likely has a solution to this up its sleeve, but the technology is not mature enough at this time for a public rollout. Apple has made clear that this is an evolutionary technology and they will be introducing it over time, both in the number of car manufaturers that will offer it, and in the technology itself. Patience is a virtue ;) :cool:

----------

On the smartphone side, iOS is the operating system used, but on the in-dash console, it is QNX, which is what the newest BlackBerry devices run. Actually, QNX is fantastic software, it is lightweight and flexible too, there is a development environment based on Eclipse that makes it easy for developers to write apps for.

You do understand qnx is basically the mouse?

As I understood it form the engineer at the Geneva auto-show, it is basically like connecting a peripheral (iPhone) to a tv (car display). Qnx isn't even required, Volvo doesn't utilize qnx for their solution and it is by far the smoothest of the three different implementations.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
You do understand qnx is basically the mouse?

As I understood it form the engineer at the Geneva auto-show, it is basically like connecting a peripheral (iPhone) to a tv (car display). Qnx isn't even required, Volvo doesn't utilize qnx for their solution and it is by far the smoothest of the three different implementations.

What operating system did Volvo say they use on their in-dash console? QNX is run on the consoles of some cars, not on the iPhone, so for users, it is totally transparent.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
What operating system did Volvo say they use on their in-dash console? QNX is run on the consoles of some cars, not on the iPhone, so for users, it is totally transparent.

Android.
Qnx in not instrumental, in fact compared to volvo's android implementation, which is smooth and fluid, qnx is clunky and slow.

Yes but iOS 7 soon to be iOS 8 is what's running carplay.

Bb stock took a hit when this was better clarified in the media.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I thought it was pretty obvious who I was replying to in my comment, looking at the quotes I used, and I was also stating how iOS7 is riddled with bugs so is hardly a better OS.

What has the problem with ford sync got to do with ios7 other than an attempt to deflect? Nobody that rented fords that I know could get the things to pair, let alone work in any intuitive way.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
What has the problem with ford sync got to do with ios7 other than an attempt to deflect? Nobody that rented fords that I know could get the things to pair, let alone work in any intuitive way.

I am not deflecting, merely pointing out iOS is not perfect, plus as I said, I have never had any problems, nor do I know anyone who has with Fords Sync. I have not said it doesn't have any problems as per my previous posts, but neither will I accept, and not point out, how it is wrong to generalise all Ford Sync systems as faulty because of a few who have had problems.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I am not deflecting, merely pointing out iOS is not perfect, plus as I said, I have never had any problems, nor do I know anyone who has with Fords Sync. I have not said it doesn't have any problems as per my previous posts, but neither will I accept, and not point out, how it is wrong to generalise all Ford Sync systems as faulty because of a few who have had problems.

I have rented dozens of them on travel, they are unfriendly and confusing to use, particularly the bluetooth features. I don't know why nor do I care really. You can extend this experience to hundreds as my teammates have had similar problems with their rentals of various ford sync variants.

All of this came back to haunt ford's rep. Nobody wants a system like that in 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.