Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
My new camera Sony A7 is supposed to be able to transfer photos wireless to my Mac.

But the application from Sony is unable to find my camera after I connect it to USB. Despite OSX picking it up both as a memory device, and iPhoto as well.

I have tried the different USB modes as well. But nothing works. It is simply unable to set it up.

Wat do?

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2013-12-08 kl. 14.30.34.png
    Skjermbilde 2013-12-08 kl. 14.30.34.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 416

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Maybe nobody here has an A7. For info on camera related issues try dpreview.com, and go to the Sony Alpha NEX forum. There's a good amount of A7/A7r activity there. Of course, you will need to set up an account to post in the forums. They also have a photography related Mac forum.

johnsonk47

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
I Have an A7

....and I'm having the same problem. I can't get through to Sony support. I've found nothing so far on the Sony site and current forums.

johnsonk47

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
Update

I finally got through to Sony. The person I spoke to researched it and reported that they are aware of the problem, which is with Wireless Auto Import and OSX 10.9. He said to watch their web site for a software update. He said they are "working on it" and that the update should be coming soon.

So, at least we know that the problem is not due to some convoluted configuration that we haven't figured out because the manual doesn't give you enough information.

Ambulater

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Well, I don't think that 10.9 is the specific problem because it didn't work under 10.8 either....at least not for my Sony NEX-6. I've never had any success in getting wireless transfers to work.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I finally got through to Sony. The person I spoke to researched it and reported that they are aware of the problem, which is with Wireless Auto Import and OSX 10.9. He said to watch their web site for a software update. He said they are "working on it" and that the update should be coming soon.

So, at least we know that the problem is not due to some convoluted configuration that we haven't figured out because the manual doesn't give you enough information.

Great answer. Thanks for posting this.
I emailed with a nordic customer support. And all they could do was confront me with "that´s not play memories, why are you not using play memories?". Which is kind of an insult to a professional photographer. They hadnt even heard of Wireless Auto Import.

I hope someone takes notice of the update when its ready. Mention it here!

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Totally off-topic, but since you guys have the A7 I was wondering if I can get your view on it please? I am getting slightly tired of lugging round a DSLR and am looking at smaller options where I can still take great 'snapshots' with a walkaround lens, but slap on a longer/wider focal length when required. This isn't the only reason I'm looking at the A7 (in case anyone chimes in with some of the usual advice), but can I ask you guys what you had beforehand, and why you moved over?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Totally off-topic, but since you guys have the A7 I was wondering if I can get your view on it please? I am getting slightly tired of lugging round a DSLR and am looking at smaller options where I can still take great 'snapshots' with a walkaround lens, but slap on a longer/wider focal length when required. This isn't the only reason I'm looking at the A7 (in case anyone chimes in with some of the usual advice), but can I ask you guys what you had beforehand, and why you moved over?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

I went from a compact DSLR (Pentax) to NEX to A7. Compared to my NEX-5N the thing is surprisingly heavy and, while I love the extra controls, the grip feels less ergonomic. However, I'm coming from several years of NEX usage so I'm sure I'm biased. Went shooting yesterday with several people with 6D's and D600's and I'm amazed how small and light the camera is by comparison. Also it doesn't give up anything in the way of control. Personally I've never found Canon's very ergonomic so I'd put the A7 somewhat below Pentax and about on-par with Nikon and definitely better to hold than any Canon I've used. (personal preference, not trying to start a fan-boy war)

I shoot almost exclusively manual focus so I can't speak to the speed there. However, manual focus is so much easier on this camera. Which seems strange to me because the depth of field is much thinner. Even without focus peaking I am getting mostly hits wide open at 1.4 or 2.0 in low-light!

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008

Thanks in advance,
Alex

I had a Canon 30D that I used for seven years. And it was hard to give up Canon in favour of Sony, especially since I had three great lenses, but it ended up being worth it.

The A7 is so light that dragging around a camera+bag for two hours no longer makes my neck and shoulders tired. The quality of the photos are exceptional, and I think Carl Zeiss Sonnar optics is sharper than Canons L optics.

Small details like the flippable screen gives me new advantages to composing pictures. And the focus is fast. Im a journalist and require fast focus. And the A7 is faster than most people can ask for. Using locked focus with speed priority is also great, and more than suitable for action photography. Filming is also great. I dont see how anyone would need anything better really. You could make a movie with this thing.

The large sensor gives pictures of such high quality that if you can crop your photos far in, you still keep high quality for print and web publishing. The camera really makes it clear to you what is in focus and what is not. Much clearer than my old DSLR.

I am never going back to DSLR, and Im confident that I´ve made an investment that will last for many many years. I honestly dont see how cameras can be better. Its full format, which is a standard that has been the same for years, and will be the same in the future.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Thanks for the couple of responses, I appreciate it. This caught my eye though...

I had a Canon 30D that I used for seven years. And it was hard to give up Canon in favour of Sony, especially since I had three great lenses, but it ended up being worth it.

The main thing that's holding me back is the lack of glass available. I have a wide-angle, a prime portrait and great telephoto lens that I would like to find the equivalent of. Photography isn't a cheap hobby by any means, but having Zeiss glass without much competition for the a7 seems to keep prices quite high for the moment. Sure there are adapters, but then you lose autofocus and the like. Still in two minds tbh. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Alex

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks for the couple of responses, I appreciate it. This caught my eye though...

The main thing that's holding me back is the lack of glass available. I have a wide-angle, a prime portrait and great telephoto lens that I would like to find the equivalent of. Photography isn't a cheap hobby by any means, but having Zeiss glass without much competition for the a7 seems to keep prices quite high for the moment. Sure there are adapters, but then you lose autofocus and the like. Still in two minds tbh. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Alex

The 35mm is very versatile. You have to move around more, but with 2,8 it gives you the ability to do amazing portraits. You just need to experience the awesome defocusing ability of this camera and lens. I honestly think any bigger focal length would be too much. F2.8 already gives you blurry skin and sharp eyes here.

But for your use they have launched the 50mm F1.8. Which should cover your needs. And Im unsure if they have launched their G-lens 70-200mm. But I had a telelens too, and this time around I had to ask myself, do I really use it? Do you? I didn´t, so Im not missing that.

The lack of wideangle is however something I miss. I had the Sigma 10-20 EX lens, and I used it more than anything else. I hope they release something like that for E-mount. You can just stand farther back with the 35mm, but it doesnt give you the same experience and quite the same composition either.

Mike2011xxx

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Hi folks, just wondering whether this problem still persists. I have a Sony RX 100 II and have exactly the same problem. So, it's the Wireless Auto Import software rather than the camera I guess.

I've tried out PlayMemories, but that is not doing at all what I want.

Now very much relying on Wireless Auto Import and I find it very annoying that no one seesm to take an interest to get this working.

Doesn't Sony care about its reputation?

twideman

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
Possible solution for Sony Wireless Import

After beating my head against Sony support for a while, I think I've got the solution...
First, I set Setup/Access Point Settings to join my wifi network.
Then, and here's the key, USB Connect Setting must be set to "MTP" (instead of Auto, which normally selects Mass Storage).
Now, Wireless Auto Import setup should proceed normally (designation of the computer to transfer to, and verifying you have the desired directory selected).
To actually send the files to the Mac, select Edit/Copy from the main menu, and "Send To Computer."
To regain USB functionality, change the USB Connect Setting back to Auto.
Worked for me!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Pop the card

HI Ramius,

Same here. Gave up and just pop the card out into side of Macbook Pro instead.

Also, for reference NFC doesnt work on A7 or RX100 III since Android update so hopefully fixed soon....

:-(

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Hi Alex. The reason you put here is exactly why I went A7. It is a great camera, takes fantastic images but is slightly slower than a DSLR to turn on and to focus. I love the focus peaking and the use of legacy glass. The evf was alien at first for me but I got used to it. It does still irk me in low light as the evf gets grainy.

Now the new one us out the image stabilisation in body is going to massively improve it.

I had canon dslrs and a few select L series lenses before. I now have the A7, 70-200 G, FE 55 and 35 and a range of legacy glass.

Very happy amateur here.

Ken.

Mike2011xxx

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Hi twideman,

I was really hopeful when I saw the outcome of your interaction with the Sony helpdesk and tried it out immediately for my RX 100 M2. However, with negative result. The step "Send to Computer" results in a message "Connecting", which stays in the screen for a minute or so, before an error message pops up that a connection with the access point has been established, but a connection with the computer was not possible.

I found it unbelievable that Sony does not take any action here to come up with a solution that works. Maybe it has worked in the lab once or twice, but it definitely does not work in real life situations.

Mike2011xxx

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Update:
I got it a kind of working now. This is what I've done:
- Reset the connection details at the camera. Entering the password (WPA2) manually did not work! I tried 2 different SSID access points (each with its own password), and both attempts were unsuccesful. Finally, used the WPS option and that worked.
- However, picture transfer still interrupted at the first .MTS file. Interstingly, I couldn't find this .MTS file on the card at all
- Have deleted all videos manually via the camera interface and checked the integrity of the picture database. Still the same; transfer started, but crashed after a while.
- Restart of camera (taking out the battery for a while) and rebooting the laptop did not help either.
- Finallly, copied all pictures from the card manually and reformatted the SD card (via the camera option).
- Rebooted again and took 1 picture.
- This time the transfer completed! Then tried with 2-3 pictures and 2-3 videos. This also worked, as it did originally when the camera was new and I tried the wireless transmission with a small number of pictures.

Now curious to see what will happen when I'm not in test mode but in real-life mode with 100's of pictures and 10-'s of video's. Will it start to break again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.