Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmoreau48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a 128gb ipad air and realized that I had over 10gb of other storage. I read online and most of the solution to remove it was to restore the iPad. I tried to remove the synced music/tv shows/movies first and see what the "other" would do. It went down to 1gb after a removed the synced content from itunes. Then I synced back the music only and the other went up to around 4gb.

What do you think the other mean when I sync my music and it goes up? maybe music video?

I will try to resync some movies/Tv shows and see what it does... might also try a restore from backup and see but I don't want to waste too much time to understand if someone can explain it to me here.

Thank you.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
"Other" probably refers to space taken up by temporary files. For example, iOS can automatically download updaters for you so they are ready to go when you press "Install update". The space taken up by the updater probably gets counted in "Other". This space should automatically get cleaned up periodically, but forcing a restore would do it too.

kmoreau48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
"Other" probably refers to space taken up by temporary files. For example, iOS can automatically download updaters for you so they are ready to go when you press "Install update". The space taken up by the updater probably gets counted in "Other". This space should automatically get cleaned up periodically, but forcing a restore would do it too.

Thanks for the response. What could be the temporary files that get on my iPad when syncing music or TV shows?

Nothing synced: other = 1GB
Music (7.77GB) synced: other = 4.68GB
Music (7.77GB) + TV shows (15.89GB) synced: other = 7.36GB

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Thanks for the response. What could be the temporary files that get on my iPad when syncing music or TV shows?

Nothing synced: other = 1GB
Music (7.77GB) synced: other = 4.68GB
Music (7.77GB) + TV shows (15.89GB) synced: other = 7.36GB

Wow, that does seem like a lot. I don't know. Anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.