Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAPfeiffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I just upgraded my Mac Pro early 2008 with the Geforce GTX 680 Mac edition. Works great on the mac side but when I tried booting up to my windows bootcamp drive it would lock up on start up after entering the password in Windows 7. I then loaded the windows drive through parallels and ran all the windows updates. After another restart it would load windows all the way to the desktop but then start updating all kinds of USB drivers and would lock up and blue screen of death. Now when I try and start up windows it goes straight to the blue screen of death.

Has anyone had trouble or have a work around or a set of procedures for loading in the graphics card so that my windows drive will still work.

I am using Windows 7 and OS X 10.9.2

Any help would be much appreciated.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I just upgraded my Mac Pro early 2008 with the Geforce GTX 680 Mac edition. Works great on the mac side but when I tried booting up to my windows bootcamp drive it would lock up on start up after entering the password in Windows 7. I then loaded the windows drive through parallels and ran all the windows updates. After another restart it would load windows all the way to the desktop but then start updating all kinds of USB drivers and would lock up and blue screen of death. Now when I try and start up windows it goes straight to the blue screen of death.

Has anyone had trouble or have a work around or a set of procedures for loading in the graphics card so that my windows drive will still work.

I am using Windows 7 and OS X 10.9.2

Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't use pure windows anymore but I'll take a stab at it since no one else has. Can you boot windows into safe mode? If so, I would try that and remove the video card drives currently installed, and reboot. If that gets you to the BIG UGLY desktop screen, then I would install the latest drivers for you card, reboot and see what happens.

I don't use boot camp so there may be other considerations I'm not aware of. I run winxP win7 and win8.1 through VMFusionware. I don't really want to dedicate an actual drive to windows since I don't do gaming.

JAPfeiffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for the help.

I ended up pulling everything and resetting it, then pulling extraneous peripherals which i should have done to begin with. Something along the process and it finally booted. It didn't recognize that i had a Nvidia card until I manually loaded the drivers but everything is working now.Silly windows always making things solo complicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.