Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:44 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's iTunes Radio Becomes Third Most Popular U.S. Music Streaming Service

Less than six months after its launch alongside iOS 7 last September, Apple's iTunes Radio has become the third most popular music streaming service in the United States, according to a new report from Edison Research and Statista (via Fortune).

While Pandora and iHeartRadio took first and second place with a 31% and 9% share of the market respectively, iTunes Radio accounted for an 8% share with over 20 million users, passing Spotify's 6%. Apple's streaming service also passed the likes of competitors such as Google Play All Access, Rhapsody, Slacker, and TuneIn Radio.
Quote:
While users can hop between services freely (and at least one report has suggested that 92 percent of iTunes Radio listeners also find time for Pandora), that figure would suggest that iTunes Radio is growing at the fastest rate of the top three services, and is likely to overtake iHeartRadio in the next quarter or two.
Apple launched iTunes Radio in Australia last month, as the company looks to ultimately have the service "in more than 100 countries," according to senior vice president of Internet software and services Eddy Cue. The company will be able to roll out its service to additional countries more quickly than competitors due to its existing international rights deals with Universal Music Group and other record companies.

Article Link: Apple's iTunes Radio Becomes Third Most Popular U.S. Music Streaming Service
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Lapidus
macrumors regular

Not in Belgium.
Lapidus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:45 AM   #3
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

Yeah the US, now make it available in other countries please.
RoelJuun is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

Now if only they could launch in Canada....
Rudy69 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:47 AM   #5
keterboy
macrumors regular

Is pandora really that strong? I seem to see that everyone uses spotify. Thought spotify was much stronger in the numbers...
keterboy is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:49 AM   #6
SvP
macrumors regular

Where's the love for the netherlands?

As early founders of at least parts of the U.S, we expected and hoped for a bit more love from you people. Years and years go by, and the hope for a dutch speaking Siri, or the release of iRadio, are painfully absent.

We're disappointed, people.
SvP is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:52 AM   #7
Imory
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keterboy View Post
Is pandora really that strong? I seem to see that everyone uses spotify. Thought spotify was much stronger in the numbers...
To be fair though, Pandora and Itunes Radio don't really offer what Spotify does. Spotify is the biggest streaming service in terms of letting you listen to exactly what you want. It's not an internet radio unlike the previously mentioned services.

Spotify should be compared to Google Play All Access and Rdio.
Imory is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:52 AM   #8
bushido
macrumors 601

why did i think Spotify would be number one for sure ^^ guess the US prefers to skip through random songs
bushido is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:01 AM   #9
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
why did i think Spotify would be number one for sure ^^ guess the US prefers to skip through random songs
1. Takes too much effort to build a specially catered playlist.

Pandora's algorithms are second to none in mine and many people's experience. And they've developed a reputation around this. I rarely felt the need to skip.

Still I have dropped it, for iTunes Radio...

2. Spotify is incredibly expensive. Even for people who pay the 'Apple Tax'. And have the ability and time to dedicate to building their own playlists... In order to build a playlist from songs and store for offline usage on your mobile, Spotify wants $120/yr... and you lose it all if you ever stop paying.

iTunes Match with ad free iTunes Radio is $25/yr and leaves you a leftover $95 budget for 73-95 new DRM free songs licensed to you, perpetually and not tied to a subscription service.

That's 2, maybe 3 whole completely new playlists.

In reality, can spend a fraction of that to merely bolster, rework and refresh current playlists.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:01 AM   #10
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

This is just a snapshot. It would be interesting to see User Base vs. Time for each of these services.
bpcookson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:22 AM   #11
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

I had been using Slacker, but I'm enjoying iTunes radio. I will not renew Slacker in the fall.
DudeDad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:23 AM   #12
RabbitLuvr
macrumors member

Interesting. I spent a lot of time rating songs, and Pandora still played a lot of music I didn't want to hear. I deleted it from my phone the day iTunes radio was announced.

Unfortunately, iTunes Radio doesn't register scrobbles with my Last.fm account, so I listen to either my own library or Spotify 98% of the time.
RabbitLuvr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:27 AM   #13
dragje
macrumors 6502a

Not in Holland

I'm pretty sure Spotify is nr1 in Holland as the pictures shows out, and the rest falls very very deep when it comes to second place in the charts, including iTunes which I found one the worst music apps ever made.

dragje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:34 AM   #14
RichardI
macrumors 6502a

Why is Pandora not available in Canada??

This country is run by IDIOTS!!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:39 AM   #15
Nevaborn
macrumors 6502a

well I don't have access to Apples offering. I have always happily used Tunein and find it really good.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:43 AM   #16
gluckett
macrumors member

Like everyone else, I'm surprised Spotify is as low as it is compared to the rest. Oh well, those of us who use it know better
gluckett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:44 AM   #17
Janichsan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapidus View Post
Not in Belgium.
…or most other parts of Europe.
Janichsan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:45 AM   #18
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

I tried Pandora a year or two back...hated it. I had to skip too often with it.

I started Spotify last year but when trying to use my headphones to pause it, I'd end up starting iTunes. (this is on a Mac)

Then switched to iTunes Radio once it came out...that has been really good, much better than Pandora. I still like Spotify when I actually want to hear a Specific song. and can easily save a playlist/album and listen FREE on the Mobile App.
BJMRamage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:51 AM   #19
Mockenrue
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keterboy View Post
Is pandora really that strong?
And yet Apple didn't put it in CarPlay. Of course we don't know what kind of negotiations did or did not happen, but it makes you wonder. I hope this isn't another example of Apple telling people what they should want, rather than allowing people to pick what they DO want.

That said, I much prefer a service like Spotify where I can listen to algorithm radio, curated playlists, or any album that I pick. I use all three regularly.
Mockenrue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:52 AM   #20
Imory
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
1. Takes too much effort to build a specially catered playlist.

Pandora's algorithms are second to none in mine and many people's experience. And they've developed a reputation around this. I rarely felt the need to skip.

Still I have dropped it, for iTunes Radio...

2. Spotify is incredibly expensive. Even for people who pay the 'Apple Tax'. And have the ability and time to dedicate to building their own playlists... In order to build a playlist from songs and store for offline usage on your mobile, Spotify wants $120/yr... and you lose it all if you ever stop paying.

iTunes Match with ad free iTunes Radio is $25/yr and leaves you a leftover $95 budget for 73-95 new DRM free songs licensed to you, perpetually and not tied to a subscription service.

That's 2, maybe 3 whole completely new playlists.

In reality, can spend a fraction of that to merely bolster, rework and refresh current playlists.
I've never used Itunes Radio, seeing as it's not available in where I live. Nevertheless, correct me if I'm wrong but you can't listen to a specific song whenever you want, right?

How is $120/yr expensive for listening to exactly what you want whenever and wherever you want? I honestly don't get the point of iTunes Radio. How is it different to Pandora and what does it do that other simplistic internet radios don't already offer?
Imory is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:56 AM   #21
cwwilson
macrumors 6502a

I have been a subscriber to both Pandora and Spotiify for years and I put them way ahead of iTunes Radio. There is no diversity on iTunes Radio and it consistently plays the same tracks over and over. I picked one particular "featured station" once and it literally played Song A followed by Song B and back to Song A and then back to Song B. Are you serious? If it's one thing that annoys me, it's when streaming music repeats tracks.

It just doesn't seem like iTunes has the library some other services have.
cwwilson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:57 AM   #22
crsh1976
macrumors regular

I don't get why Pandora and Spotify are so popular, they were innovators back then but they've been lagging behind - I'm surprised Rdio isn't even mentioned on that chart, too.
crsh1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:57 AM   #23
JerryCards
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to JerryCards
For those outside US, you can create a free US iTunes account and get access to iTunes Radio. Create US account is easy and no credit card necessary
JerryCards is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:58 AM   #24
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvP View Post
As early founders of at least parts of the U.S, we expected and hoped for a bit more love from you people. Years and years go by, and the hope for a dutch speaking Siri, or the release of iRadio, are painfully absent.

We're disappointed, people.
Was that you guys? I thought they were from Holland. We named a tunnel after them.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:58 AM   #25
JerryCards
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to JerryCards
Create a US itunes account, problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapidus View Post
Not in Belgium.
JerryCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion