Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Except apple would never make a phone so fat. I like the lumia phones but they are thick!

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
The article clearly states it would NOT be plastic. I don't know where everyone is getting this (perhaps not reading the whole thing). They said it would be the same design as the 5c, with the rounded edges, but in anodized aluminum.

Basically it's going to be a downsized version of the current-gen iPads; because that's exactly what they look like.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Haha thanks for the Tuesday morning laugh MR. :)

By the way, whatever happened to that "iPhone Math" we heard about last year?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Everytime I hold the 5c, I'm impressed with its designed. Feels much nicer in my hand than my 5S. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

cannot agree more with this. I really would like the 5s to be the same as the 5c is terms of body, but also keep the specs of the 5s.

I hope they make a "C" version of the 6 that is not short-sided in terms of specs.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I call BS. I like the 5C, but it did not sell. I find it more likely that Apple is coming up with a design that's not closely based on either the 5S or the 5C -- they have to redesign it to fit a bigger screen on there, so why base it on a previous model, especially one that didn't sell?

Ditto, but even though it has been documented and in the news a lot there are still people that cant get past the 5C not being a great seller.......It's a little buyers remorse sprinkled with a touch of denial:)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Would love an iPhone inspired by the iPad Air and retina Mini design....

But for the love of God....please, please, PLEASE - no protruding camera. It is the absolute WORST design decision they could make.....

I use both the 5C and 5S daily - and I really dig the 5C's curves. Give it to me in metal and at 7.5 mm thin and I'll be all over it.

Also, for those who thumb their nose up at the 5C - it may not have sold as well by Apple's standards, but I've started to see a lot more 5Cs in the wild than 5Ss....actually was somewhat surprised by all the 5Cs I see.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Cue the posts about how they don't want larger phones...

In reality apple need to make the best phone and i'm sorry but there are definitely two phones out there at least that people want.

The larger two handed, very comfortable to use for large hands 5inch plus iPhone

And the smaller 4 plus inch iPhone for one handed use, small pockets etc.

This is apple making the best products not following android in any way.

Steve had some odd presumptions often he changed his mind and was a bit of a goof on this stuff, a lot of the bad designs in the software came from his head. Ive is the real hardware powerhouse and you can see him saying yes to larger phones for sure!

I hope that the larger iPhone does come in a metal case of some kind with a design that allows for a reduced chin and forehead and maybe even remove that home key or place it at another location or require a swipe. Although the key press is satisfying and well placed the desire to push forward with better design must make Ive question it's place and function when a larger screen could really move forward the design.

I don't see a touch ID in the screen being possible but something has to be done about the quantity of space just hanging out on the 16:9 screen, it was fine with the 3:2 but it's gotta go somewhere next.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Ditto, but even though it has been documented and in the news a lot there are still people that cant get past the 5C not being a great seller.......It's a little buyers remorse sprinkled with a touch of denial:)

I always hear the 5c does not sell well, but I have never seen numbers to support this. IRL, I see way more 5C's than 5S', so I just cannot accept this is true.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
So something like this?? Meh, I hope I don't have to get a colored phone. lol

Attachments

• iphone_6.jpg
    iphone_6.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 111

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I actually love the 5C's bodystyle, just wish it didn't have inferior hardware.

I'm all for the return of the tapered chassis.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I like the idea of the 5c's curves in metal with a bigger screen. I wonder how they will get the cell signal out.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Interesting that it will be neither a 5s nor 5c replacement. Maybe it's a phone with high-end internals but cheap casing? People don't seem to mind paying more for a plastic Note 3 than for a 5s because of its large screen and high specs. Maybe Apple is aiming for something similar? That would surprise me but you never know.

The Note feels very high end though, it has a metal bezel along with some kind of rubberized back like the Nexus 7. Compared to a GS3 it feels much better constructed.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
The main reason the 5c is not selling well is the price and features. Why buy the 5c when you could get the 5s with updated processor, camera etc for just a $100 more?

5c is ridiculously priced.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Mac Rumors still believe Apple will be stupid enough to release a phablet?
Hahaha, very nice joke. I laughed.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
While I still think that the iPhone 4 / iPhone 5 design is superior, one have to admit that they aren't particularly nice to hold in your hands. I mean, the rigid build quality is superb, of course (that is what made the iPhone 4 almost unbelievable compared to every other handset at that time)... but the iPhone 5 is so thin that it's simply hard to pick up from a flat surface. Suspecting that that the next iPhone will be even thinner, I don't think Apple will maintain the angular design, they are likely to build something that's much more rounded. I'm curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.