Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I wish they would fix the issues I report.

Stop telling me to exit the highway, do a U-turn, get back on the highway going the other way, exit it again, do another U-turn, get back on the highway going the other way (ETC...).

Stop telling me to turn down Street A, do a U-turn, turn on Street B, make a right on Street C, then "arrive at my destination", which is actually back on Street A.

Stop telling me to go down random road X, park, and "prepare to walk" the quarter of a mile through a field instead of having me drive directly to my destination.

Report a Problem -> "Location is missing"

"Drag the pin to the correct location." OK. How? I can drag a pin, but it was placed 20 miles away from the incorrect location. Do you know how long it would take to drag the pin, pan the map, drag the pin, pan the map, etc. Why not just have a "drop pin" button so I can find the spot and then pin it?

Report a Problem -> "My problem isn't listed"

Just fill in some text and hit Send. No, no one will look at it. I've been trying to report the same problems for years. I don't think anyone ever reads what you submit.

Report a Problem -> "Problem with directions"

Please select one of the few listed routes you've taken. The problem route not listed? Too bad. The problem route listed? Just fill in this comments box and hit "Send" to have it promptly deleted. No one will review the issue.

Report a Problem -> "Street or other label is incorrect"

"Tap the incorrectly labeled street or feature"
HA! When it HAS NO STREET LISTED (even though a street has been there for 30+ years), you cannot tap on the "blank" space. You cannot hit "Next" until you tap on the street. You cannot tap on a street that isn't listed. See the problem?

Report a Problem -> "Search results are incorrect"
It simply lists some of your previous searches. How can you search for a street that isn't listed? You have to search for something that isn't there before you can submit a problem that it isn't listed??

Apple Maps are a COMPLETE JOKE

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
For me loosing transit directions was a massive issue in the original change.

Also a search of POIs results in nothing or wrong info. There is no auto correct or nearest match and you can't combine enough terms such as a town name and a business. Hopefully they will address this and get a google like performance in the future.

Right now maps is ok, works but is only improving at a slow rate.

The only way to totally maximise it's data is to open it up to a user base like wikipedia has. I'm sure an access and levels system and add-on part/button for the maps app could create incredible and accurate data for locations. I'm surprised with such a massive user base apple has decided to keep all data entry in house.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
LOL, the fallacy of updating apps that are tied to the OS only once a year. This is why Apple is STILL behind and why people use alternative apps.

Not sure what you are talking about, Apple just gave a number of Apps updates yesterday. It provides minor updates periodically. As far as major updates go, yes it limits this to once a year. This leads to stability because it gives developers time to make needed adjustments. Apple has been making minor changes to its Maps app since inception, however, it has been two years since initially released. I expect Apple has some major changes in mind for the App. Unlike last time, I expect Apple will get it right.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Last night I typed in "Hollywood" while trying to find a map in Los Angeles, and of course Apple Maps took me to Hollywood, FL instead by default.

Is that a first-world problem? Absolutely. But it's little quirks like that which still make it feel like a completely counter-intuitive app. So I hope it does continue to improve.

Edit: I also gave Apple Maps a try while vacationing in San Francisco. I typed in "Golden Gate Bridge" and it gave me directions to a diner. C'mon Apple. You prominently show the GGB in the background of your page for CarPlay, yet can't even take people to it when they type it in?

If I typed in Hollywood with no other identifier, I would expect a city name would be the first to pop up.....if you want directions in LA, type LA....or better yet, just type "Hollywood, CA" and it takes you there....

As for the GGB - I was in San Fran last month and did the same thing. Maps had no trouble directing me to the middle of the Bridge. Just tried it again and it was spot on. Perhaps you're doing it wrong ;):D

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
LOL, the fallacy of updating apps that are tied to the OS only once a year.

7SVF1q8.png

Since iOS 7 was released, we've gotten 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.0.6 and 7.1 so far.
Or has it been seven years already?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is an article because it's all they can talk about. Makes you think they have insider info but they don't. iOS 8 is sure to be far more than just the maps app.

Um, a few weeks back 9to5Mac had a whole article about a "health book" app supposedly coming in iOS 8. Why do people assume an article about ONE THING means that's all that is changing? This wasn't a general iOS 8 article, it was specific to maps. :rolleyes:

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It would be nice if Apple would figure out how to release updates for apps like this more frequently than when a new OS is released. Treat the bundled apps like they do Remote, the iWork apps, etc.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Last night I typed in "Hollywood" while trying to find a map in Los Angeles, and of course Apple Maps took me to Hollywood, FL instead by default.

Is that a first-world problem? Absolutely. But it's little quirks like that which still make it feel like a completely counter-intuitive app. So I hope it does continue to improve.

Edit: I also gave Apple Maps a try while vacationing in San Francisco. I typed in "Golden Gate Bridge" and it gave me directions to a diner. C'mon Apple. You prominently show the GGB in the background of your page for CarPlay, yet can't even take people to it when they type it in?

In my opinion this is the biggest problem that Apple has now their basic map data has improved. Searching for locations often produces the most bizarre results. Also the integration with Siri is a nightmare to use as basic instructions like 'How do I get from xxx to yyy' is just not understood at all. That said Apple maps is improving fast and if they can keep up the momentum for another couple of years they should have a solid offering.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
In the US where I use iMaps, I have had little trouble for turn by turn directions. Only one in Indianapolis did it take me to the wrong side of a highway. But I could see my destination so not too big of a deal. I have heard the problem outside the US is much worse. I hope it continues to improve because I do love the integration with contacts and appointments in calendars.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Report here http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/ Apple maps based on TomTom maps. I have reported via Apple maps 100 times and nothing. Reported via TomTom, they verified and after two weeks it was on Apple maps

I don't see any way to report POI issues on there - Address, Street, Block/Unblock, Traffic circle, Traffic direction, Turn restriction, Bridge, Toll, Highway Ramp, Speed Camera, Other.

How do I let them know about McDonalds? (And more to the point, why should I, given I've been telling them and they've been ignoring me for over a year...)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
LOL, the fallacy of updating apps that are tied to the OS only once a year. This is why Apple is STILL behind and why people use alternative apps.

Apple Maps quality varies around the world. But actual facts don't always fit the hand-wringing "narrative" ;)

Apple maps: how Google lost when everyone thought it had won
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/11/apple-maps-google-iphone-users

"But a year on, a total of 35m iPhone owners in the US used Apple's maps during September 2013, according to ComScore, compared to a total of 58.7m Google Maps users across the iPhone and Android base."

Those users matter to future quality: they are feeding data to Apple that used to go to Google.

(Even if the majority in the US are happy, it's only natural for people with complaints to complain, and people without to stay silent. And it's strange how the errors we all had--and still do--with Google Maps were just shrugged off. How about accessing my Contacts for navigation without copying the whole list to your servers, tied to my account, Google? Such complaints aren't tasty for the media. But any errors with an Apple logo? Bring the pitchforks!)

And of course Apple's maps are updated far more often than once a year. It's a remote service: the data can change at any moment. That's why the new restaurant down the road from me already shows up.

Last edited:

Puponautas

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
I don't see any way to report POI issues on there - Address, Street, Block/Unblock, Traffic circle, Traffic direction, Turn restriction, Bridge, Toll, Highway Ramp, Speed Camera, Other.

How do I let them know about McDonalds? (And more to the point, why should I, given I've been telling them and they've been ignoring me for over a year...)

Register and login, then you can report it.

It's up to you, if you don't want, keep it like it is. If i knew this from beginning, i would report directly to TomTom, not bothering with Apple maps report tool

designaholic

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
In the UK, right now. The business listings are absolutely APPALING for Apple Maps.

It's a deal breaker for me. They need to have the same coverage as Google for it to work out!

Yeah I agree. This + Street View is where Google will always have one-up on Apple maps for the foreseeable future. You just cannot beat the always up-to-date integration with Google's colossal search db.

Personally, I mainly use Apple maps for driving directions to places I know, have stored, or have the postcode for, which it handles fine. When you're searching for a business's name though, it fails miserably.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Personally, Apple maps has worked very well for me over the past year or so. I would like to see more business listed, but otherwise, Apple maps has been pretty accurate and useful for me.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007

Some rules (that I use) when using gadgets:

1. I usually try to be smarter than the device I use.

2. It would we wise to verify the gadget's answer at least once to build confidence in said gadget within a particular context.

3. When I doubt, go back to 1.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
This "failure" will probably ensure that Apple Maps for iOS 8 will be better than it ever could have been if they did OK from the start.

Hopefully your right. Either Apple Maps becomes the best or they need to allow me to set another certain maps app as my default...

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Register and login, then you can report it.

It's up to you, if you don't want, keep it like it is. If i knew this from beginning, i would report directly to TomTom, not bothering with Apple maps report tool

I am registered, I am logged in. But the reporting options are those that I listed in my post. None of them relate to POIs.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Keep with your US-only stuff and you're gonna make me very angry... and sad :C

Antares

macrumors 68000
How many people actually search for places/business within a mapping app? I personally have always first looked up the place where I’m going, online, to get the address and make sure that’s where I want actually to go. I then plug the address into a dedicated GPS, online map, or map app on a phone. As long as the directions are correct for the address I typed in, that’s all I care about.

All this niggling about trying to find a business or point of interest within an app seems a bit too much. This search ability is a nice feature but that is not what’s really important. This is not the primary purpose of a “road map.” Businesses open and close at a constant rate…at a thousandfold rate or greater than roads change. No app or map (Google, Yahoo, Apple, NavTech, etc.) will ever be able to keep up with these changes at a fast enough rate to trump searching for your destination, online.

S3R6i0

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
I wish Apple would just go back to using Google Maps. Their maps app is just ridiculous.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Glad to see the same people who don't use Apple Maps are still loudly complaining about them and being proven completely wrong..... :rolleyes:

For the record, the "disaster" of Apple Maps at launch was an entirely blog driven sensationalised story. Those that actually USED them, know it was fine.

I wish Apple would just go back to using Google Maps. Their maps app is just ridiculous.

No thanks. I don't want to have to sign up for a terrible social network just to get directions......

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I can't wait until Apple adds transit directions and allows us to set it as a default. Then those of us who don't drive, wont constantly be told how long it would take us to drive home in Notification Centre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.