Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:40 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Flappy Bird Creator Reveals Why He Pulled the App, 'Considering' Returning Flappy Bird to App Store

When Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen removed his ultra popular app from the App Store back in February, he gave little explanation for the surprising decision, aside from a short message stating he could no longer take the attention.

In a new interview with Rolling Stone, Nguyen explains why he pulled the app, pointing to extensive press coverage and unwanted attention in his home town of Hanoi. While Nguyen enjoyed his early success, he was swarmed by the media after news of his monetary success was revealed. At the height of its popularity, Flappy Bird was generating upwards of $50,000 per day.

Quote:
As news hit of how much money Nguyen was making, his face appeared in the Vietnamese papers and on TV, which was how his mom and dad first learned their son had made the game. The local paparazzi soon besieged his parents' house, and he couldn't go out unnoticed. While this might seem a small price to pay for such fame and fortune, for Nguyen the attention felt suffocating.
Even more troubling were the messages he began receiving from parents and Flappy Bird players who had become addicted to the game. One woman told him he was "distracting the children of the world," and Nguyen worried the game was too addictive.
Quote:
Another [message] laments that "13 kids at my school broke their phones because of your game, and they still play it cause it's addicting like crack." Nguyen tells me of e-mails from workers who had lost their jobs, a mother who had stopped talking to her kids. "At first I thought they were just joking," he says, "but I realize they really hurt themselves."
According to Nguyen, who had trouble in school because of his own addiction to Counter-Strike, those messages were a major reason why he opted to put an end to Flappy Bird. When asked by the interviewer why he ultimately pulled the app, he said "I'm master of my own fate. Independent thinker."

With Flappy Bird's removal from the App Store, hundreds of clones have popped up. While Apple initially attempted to stem the flood of Flappy Bird-style games, the game's success has continued to tempt developers into creating clones. At the end of February, one-third of new games released over a 24-hour period ended up being games that were heavily inspired by Flappy Bird and Nguyen's success. "People can clone the app because of its simplicity," Nguyen said, "but they will never make another Flappy Bird."

Flappy Bird clones
Nguyen told Rolling Stone that removing Flappy Bird from the App Store has been a "relief," but he is also contemplating returning the app to the App Store.
Quote:
"I'm considering it," Nguyen says. He's not working on a new version, but if he ever releases one it will come with a "warning," he says: "Please take a break."
Though Flappy Bird is no longer available for download, it continues to make money for Nguyen, "generating tens of thousands of dollars." The app's success has led Nguyen to quit his job, and he's considering purchasing both a Mini Cooper and an apartment as he continues to develop new games.

Rolling Stone's full interview with Nguyen, which is well worth reading, also includes tidbits on the development of Flappy Bird, details on Nguyen's childhood, his game creating experience, and info on his future plans.

Article Link: Flappy Bird Creator Reveals Why He Pulled the App, 'Considering' Returning Flappy Bird to App Store
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Epic marketing haha. Reminds me of New Coke lol awesome
Z400Racer37 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:42 PM   #3
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
Really rolling stone interviewed this guy? he took it outta the app store so more people would want it. its just that simple
ZacNicholson is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:42 PM   #4
seble
macrumors 6502a

Front page news. Really? Really? It's a game of which there are (or perhaps were) many on the App store...
seble is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:42 PM   #5
pk7
macrumors 6502

He's doing all this for media attention. Which is exactly what he's getting.
pk7 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:43 PM   #6
SoldOnApple
macrumors member

Mac users might be pleased to know that all the retail verisons of Counter-Strike are now available on Mac, you can get them all through Steam and see for yourself why the Flappy Bird creator was so addicted to it that it caused trouble for him at school.
SoldOnApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:44 PM   #7
pmz
Banned

It is either all PR stunt, or the dumbest story I've ever heard. People don't actually care that much about a moderately successful developer. We usually learn about them in Apple-keynote video edits.
pmz is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:45 PM   #8
BryanElliott
macrumors newbie

It's called "Good Parenting" folks. If you don't want your kids to be addicted to something of the nature of a video game, you can simply just take it away.
BryanElliott is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:45 PM   #9
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Parents always have and always will be responsible for monitoring their children's activities and the time they spend doing them. Blaming one popular game maker for children being distracted by games is like blaming Magic Johnson for AIDS.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:46 PM   #10
TsunamiTheClown
macrumors 6502a

The real question here is will MR give us the "Flappy Bird" roundup section that the masses are eager for?

On second thought I might never get any work done as I would be constantly pressing CMD-R...

[Related Roundup: Flappy Bird]
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:46 PM   #11
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Well, he definitely got the attention by removing it. Before it was removed, I had never heard of this game.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:46 PM   #12
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

What a tear-jerking story
VanillaCracker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

This is all hilarious. This guy got caught in the middle of a perfect social media storm.

He made a crappy game that was difficult and people started to post about their frustration, which made more people download it to see what the fuss was.

Then it became a contest to see who could make the most outrageous reviews. While I don't doubt there were some people who had a real issue with the app, I think the majority were just playing the whole thing up. My guess is that the sarcasm and humor were lost in translation on this guy.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:48 PM   #14
malexandria
macrumors 6502

Please Explain

why this crappy app and whiny developer has received so much attention?
malexandria is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:48 PM   #15
Haynzee
macrumors member

Didn't I read an article that said Apple have stopped allowing apps called "Flappy..." into the App Store now? Just wondered would that effect the original guy or not? Well if he had to rename it!
Haynzee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:49 PM   #16
lulumink
macrumors member

simply money issue. guy couldn't resist that money. no one can.
now he repents from it and wanted to come back.
lulumink is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:49 PM   #17
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
Really rolling stone interviewed this guy? he took it outta the app store so more people would want it. its just that simple
it's not that simple. People love conspiracy theories and calling this a PR move...

But is he making more or less money by pulling Flappy Bird?
The answer is clearly less.

arn
arn is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:49 PM   #18
Haynzee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexandria View Post
why this crappy app and whiny developer has received so much attention?
I'd love to know that too? I installed it, and removed it within 20mins, it was just boring imo and it seems like it wasn't just kids addicted to it.
Haynzee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:49 PM   #19
elvetio
macrumors member

with a warning I am sure all those problems will be fixed!

at least he got that working for him

what an *ss
elvetio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:51 PM   #20
cwwilson
macrumors 65816

He misses that money.
cwwilson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:51 PM   #21
MacLC
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
This is all hilarious. This guy got caught in the middle of a perfect social media storm.

He made a crappy game that was difficult and people started to post about their frustration, which made more people download it to see what the fuss was.

Then it became a contest to see who could make the most outrageous reviews. While I don't doubt there were some people who had a real issue with the app, I think the majority were just playing the whole thing up. My guess is that the sarcasm and humor were lost in translation on this guy.
Maybe the sarcasm and humor were lost in translation, but the money he made and is making is real.
MacLC is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:51 PM   #22
bigrustyjc
macrumors newbie

Take Responsibility for your own actions

I love the fact that it's the developer's fault that all of these people lost their jobs, didn't do well in school, broke their phones, etc. This guy must be a genius if he can force people all over the world to play his game rather than go to work and school.

I wish the people who contacted him would take responsibility for their own actions rather than blame everyone else.
bigrustyjc is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:53 PM   #23
Chatter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
Yes, take it out so more people want it and since they cant get it, he makes even more money! Genius move.
Chatter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:53 PM   #24
KindredMAC
macrumors 6502a

Oh no... Someone better call

F this guy and F everyone who was possibly blaming him for ruining their lives.

#1- I feel so bad for him... making $50,000 a DAY at one point.

#2- I feel so bad for him... that idiots were opening their stupid mouths complaining about the addiction level of the game.

#3- I feel so bad for him... that he possibly now realizes that he isn't making money anymore because it is not in the App Store.

/rant
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:54 PM   #25
futbalguy
macrumors regular

I really hope he is just trolling the media and he didn't believe stories of people being addicted to the game and it ruining their lives. Just sounds like those would be made-up exaggerations from normal trolls. I don't think this is the type of game people get addicted too. At least compared to other games that actually addictive. Anyways, this is such a weird story.
futbalguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion