Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
It's called "Good Parenting" folks. If you don't want your kids to be addicted to something of the nature of a video game, you can simply just take it away.

Of course. Because everything is that simple.

Do you know every app, every person, every single thing your child does on a weekly, daily, hourly, and by minute basis?

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Parents always have and always will be responsible for monitoring their children's activities and the time they spend doing them. Blaming one popular game maker for children being distracted by games is like blaming Magic Johnson for AIDS.

This is a horrendous comparison. :confused:

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Rolling Stone's full interview with Nguyen, which is well worth reading, also includes tidbits on the development of Flappy Bird, details on Nguyen's childhood, his game creating experience, and info on his future plans.

I agree, after reading this the guy's decision to pull the app make more sense. I don't think that just anyone would reach that conclusion, but I can see how he arrived at the decision.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
It's called "Good Parenting" folks. If you don't want your kids to be addicted to something of the nature of a video game, you can simply just take it away.

Most parents these days are pussies. They can't say no. Three year olds with iPhones and five year olds with iPads. Why not have the kid go outside, and maybe climb a tree? Enjoy childhood while you have it? No? Okay....

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Personally I thought it was refreshing to see a person who valued personal peace and a simple lifestyle over piles of money and media exposure. So rare in today's world.

Sad to see so many commenters here believe it to just be a shrewd business ploy. Is this how jaded we've all become?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I agree, he seemed to be motivated by conscience more that money. Truly rare.

Agreed. And the fact that a lot of people here are sledging him about money, fame, fortune, etc., really tells you a lot about the limited thinking and capitalist-bred resolve of the people here.

At least the guy thought about his fellow man; except for when catastrophe happens, could the others here say the same thing, and forgo the money?

BL.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Personally I thought it was refreshing to see a person who valued personal peace and a simple lifestyle over piles of money and media exposure.

If that was true, why would you agree to do an interview with Rolling Stone?

Edit: With that being said, I think it's more likely that he was caught by surprise by the sudden popularity and acted instinctively, rather than this being an elaborate and thought out strategy.

Last edited:

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
$50,000 a day, and he buys a Mini Cooper?! I don't know about you, but if I was making that kind of dough, id be opting for something italian...

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I really respect this guy.

The fact that the Macrumors community so strenuously disagrees with me is maybe a sign that I don't belong here anymore.

Show me an online community not filled with cynical a**h***s and I will gladly transfer there.. to infect them with my negativity and hate :D

But seriously, we don't know if this was a "publicity stunt" or not. It's viable to believe either way. It's all up to choosing to believe in his story or not.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
it's not that simple. People love conspiracy theories and calling this a PR move...

But is he making more or less money by pulling Flappy Bird?
The answer is clearly less.

arn

he's probably making still about 50k/day because i have the game still and there are still ads on it.

----------

Yes, take it out so more people want it and since they cant get it, he makes even more money! Genius move. :rolleyes:

there are other ways to get it besides the app store. i thought that was common knowledge. guess not.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
it's not that simple. People love conspiracy theories and calling this a PR move...

But is he making more or less money by pulling Flappy Bird?
The answer is clearly less.

arn

He'll make more money when he reinstates the app though because people who missed out first time will want to get it, and he's getting so much publicity he'll sell even more.

Was his name on the app listing, or did he have a 'company' name?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Easy solution, put it back on the app store, but make it so difficult it's almost painful to play.

...oh, wait.

I love the spectrum of emotions on the thread though. Everything from 'I don't care' / 'Is this news?' through 'Obviously fake' / 'Good marketing' via 'I blame the parents'. It's like angry forum bingo! :p

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I love the fact that it's the developer's fault that all of these people lost their jobs, didn't do well in school, broke their phones, etc. This guy must be a genius if he can force people all over the world to play his game rather than go to work and school.

I wish the people who contacted him would take responsibility for their own actions rather than blame everyone else.

He could make a 30 minute limit per 24 hours. And not allow IAP for unlocking or asking a friend for a ticket. Leave it as is, add the 30 minute limit and there you go.

$50,000 a day, and he buys a Mini Cooper?! I don't know about you, but if I was making that kind of dough, id be opting for something italian...

And you'd be broke pretty quick once the use of the app disappears.

Soni Sanjay

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2013
Nonsense

This is one of the most stupid things I ever heard, if you are addicted to a stupid app then you got some mental problems, and to the creator, I do not believe a single word he said, so you do not want to be famous but you give an interview to the Rolling Stone magazine?, also why did he quit his job then, to make more apps? that if they go well could make him even more famous...

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Another example of people NOT taking responsibility for their actions. Blaming him for losing their job? Breaking their phone? People need help, badly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.