Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Version of Microsoft Office for Mac Slated for 2014 Release

Microsoft is planning to introduce an updated version of its Office productivity suite for the Mac in 2014, according to Thorsten Hübschen, Business Group Lead at Microsoft Germany, who gave Computerwoche (via Macworld) the news at the Cebit trade fair in Hanover.

While there's little information available on a possible release date, Hübschen said more news on the product should come during the second quarter of 2014. Microsoft's current Office software for the Mac was released more than three years ago in October of 2010.
Quote:
At the Cebit trade fair in Hanover, Hübschen told Computerwoche that there are now development teams for each of the Office applications, which each produce versions of their product for different platforms. In addition to MacOS, other possible targets for the future may include tablets running iOS and Android.
Microsoft originally had plans to release Office for Mac in the spring of 2014, but it appears the company will miss that timeline, instead planning for a release later in the year. According to a representative from Microsoft, the company is indeed working on the next version of Office for Mac.
Quote:
"The team is hard at work on the next version of Office for Mac," she said in an email. "While I don't have details to share on timing, when it's available, Office 365 subscribers will automatically get the next Office for Mac at no additional cost."
The company is also said to be working on an iPad version of Office, but it remains unclear when that app might arrive.

Article Link: New Version of Microsoft Office for Mac Slated for 2014 Release
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Derekeys
macrumors member

Not for iPad? I hope they fix the formatting issues I have at my office. Whenever a colleague opens a word doc on their windows PC that I made on my mac the fonts and formatting is all over the place. grrrr
Derekeys is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:32 PM   #3
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekeys View Post
Not for iPad?
I would imagine the iOS apps will be released at the same time.
larrylaffer is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Nimrad
macrumors regular

OneNote for Mac PLEASE!
Nimrad is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:33 PM   #5
keterboy
macrumors regular

Dont know about you guys but im SO tired of Microsoft's products...

#msannoying
keterboy is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:33 PM   #6
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

I'm sure Microsoft will wait until just after their TechNet program finally expires before releasing a new version of Office for the Mac
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Frizers
macrumors member

Wish they'd fix full screen mode on Word 2011. Seems to be a 50/50 chance of documents opening on top of each other when using it.
Frizers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:33 PM   #8
Sky Blue

Hope the Mac version has some basic feature parity with the Windows version of Outlook this time.

Also, support for 10.9 features (Notification Center etc.)
Sky Blue is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:33 PM   #9
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

I don't care about MS Office as much as I used to. Maybe because most of what is done in the business world today doesn't necessarily require using Microsoft's software. Today my entire office is happily Microsoft-free.
HenryDJP is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:33 PM   #10
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
In my experience, MS Office for Mac is a very poor piece of Software.

It comes with so much bloat (all I really want is Word, PowerPoint and Excel!) and it's extremely slow and laggy. It crashes all the time, takes forever to load files, and just doesn't seem like the usual polished "Mac app".

I hope this version is better! (Saying that, the only part of MSO I use is Excel)
MasterHowl is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Southshore
macrumors member

Pricing

I hope it's less than $30. Or maybe free, they can always load it on to every surface they sell.
Southshore is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:34 PM   #12
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

What, Microsoft miss a release date
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:35 PM   #13
OctagonA
macrumors newbie

There must be a bug in Safari

It says there is no word "Cloud" in this page.
OctagonA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:35 PM   #14
Derekeys
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
I don't care about MS Office as much as I used to. Maybe because most of what is done in the business world today doesn't necessarily require using Microsoft's software. Today my entire office is happily Microsoft-free.
Wish I could say the same! Good on ya.
Derekeys is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:36 PM   #15
Alumeenium
macrumors regular

who even buys this junk ?

worst software on the planet
Alumeenium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:36 PM   #16
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
But everyone said businesses can only function with Microsoft Office?
LagunaSol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:37 PM   #17
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Will it beach ball when you copy things in Excel like the current version does on all Mac hardware?

Or a version of Outlook for Mac that supports things like a full calendar and sync instead of having to manage it using the Apple Calendar.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:37 PM   #18
William Gates
macrumors regular

I deleted Office for Mac 2011 a few months back. So far it has been the smartest move I have made with my Air since I bought it in 2011.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:38 PM   #19
DragoniteD
macrumors newbie

Don't care very much, I use iWork & LaTeX
DragoniteD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:39 PM   #20
Tmelon
macrumors 6502a

I just hope they include OneNote and Access.
Tmelon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:40 PM   #21
phillytim
macrumors 6502a

And what did you replace it with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gates View Post
I deleted Office for Mac 2011 a few months back. So far it has been the smartest move I have made with my Air since I bought it in 2011.

----------

What did you guys replace it with?

Quote:
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:41 PM   #22
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

Whoopdie doo. 2004 still works fine. Hell, 2001 was fine.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:41 PM   #23
drewyboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekeys View Post
Not for iPad? I hope they fix the formatting issues I have at my office. Whenever a colleague opens a word doc on their windows PC that I made on my mac the fonts and formatting is all over the place. grrrr
PDF my friend. I told my professors because I was docked for format errors, I would no longer be providing them a doc format because it was produced on office 2007 but they opened it on 2010. So MS's own fault.

Save as a pdf and lock that crap in. Same thing for business use. At least for use I've experienced before is that if it's going to a client, it's PDF. If it's within the office, whatever program your using since the whole company is going to have that.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:41 PM   #24
numlock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
wish my past workplace wasnt so microsoft centric.

what do you use instead?
numlock is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:42 PM   #25
Nickpocalypse
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keterboy View Post
Dont know about you guys but im SO tired of Microsoft's products...

#msannoying
lol only on this forum would meaningless hate-for-non-Apple-company be so popular.

I'm a huge user of Apple products, but have you tried to use Numbers? I know they're re-adding functionality over time, but to use it now for anything even remotely professional is a waste of time. In this case you get what you pay for.
Nickpocalypse is offline   34 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion