Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:40 PM   #26
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrode View Post
I find it odd that they don't make it more obvious to non "Apple-obsessive-macrumors-readers". It seems like it takes quite a few days for the badge to come up on the settings app. My parents have no idea what it means and don't update until I do it for them.
I don't find it odd to not want your servers to have a complete meltdown, and Apple is in no race to beat adoption records on a third-party chart.

For those who are antsy like the lot of us here, you just tap software update in settings to invoke the check and get it sooner. Otherwise, I think an OS update rolling out to hundreds of millions of users over the course of a few days works just fine for those who don't read tech blogs.
gatearray is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:40 PM   #27
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

It seems strange that the graph has a couple of dips. What does that mean? Did people uninstall the update or something?
Cuban Missles is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:42 PM   #28
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
It seems strange that the graph has a couple of dips. What does that mean? Did people uninstall the update or something?
That axis designates "time". The dips mean fewer downloads during that time period, not uninstalls.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:44 PM   #29
Simm95
macrumors newbie

I think the #1 improvement in 7.1 is the quicker animation speeds. Macrumors has barely given any credit to that and it makes iOS so much more usable. I can't understand someone not switching because of a slightly darker shade of green since 7.1 makes the animations so fast.
Simm95 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:54 PM   #30
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
What I want to know is how does someone revert from 7.1 to 7.0.6?
You can't. It's a security feature, so that someone trying to break into your iOS device can't downgrade to a lower version with known security bugs.
gnasher729 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:58 PM   #31
Oldfash33
macrumors member

All joking aside I am really appreciating how snappy this update is. And I do enjoy the new look of the keyboard
Oldfash33 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:59 PM   #32
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelpro View Post
Why does a 214 MB update require 1.9 GB of free space? Its so frustrating!
I can't update because of it.
because it is compressed and the space is needed for unpacking the files inside.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:01 PM   #33
terryzx
macrumors member

Caller ID is RUINED in 7.1

NO MORE FULL PHOTOS

Now you can't even see the tiny circle it uses for who is calling

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:07 PM   #34
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
It show's web traffic, so I guess more people running 7.1 were sleeping when the dips occurred.
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:08 PM   #35
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Well we have exceeded 4.4 and halfway to passing 4.4 and 4.3 combined.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:23 PM   #36
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Not surprising since the previous versions were all…crappy
ZipZap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:35 PM   #37
Exotic-Car Man
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
6% adoption in just 24 hours is justin credible.
You can call me credible. Justin Credible.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:37 PM   #38
apolloa
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacreativeguy View Post
It isn't a "minor update" at all. 7.1 actually makes my iPad 3 usable again! 7.0.x was sooooo sloooowwwwww.
Ooohh thanks for that, I'll update the house iPad 3 tomorrow.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:37 PM   #39
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502a

What's frustrating is this would be a lot higher if their servers weren't crap. It downloaded in minutes on my iphone 5S when it first launched but now on my iPad and my moms iphone 5 it's showing 16 hours remaining. (And no, it's not my connection. Uverse 15 mb/s and speedtest shows it's fine and able to download TitanFall update in mins and it was 800mbs)
AppleFan91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:44 PM   #40
Paradoxally
macrumors 6502a

Would be higher if jailbreakable
Paradoxally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:00 PM   #41
patent10021
macrumors 68000

but will it come looking for its parents when its an adult?
patent10021 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:03 PM   #42
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan91 View Post
What's frustrating is this would be a lot higher if their servers weren't crap. It downloaded in minutes on my iphone 5S when it first launched but now on my iPad and my moms iphone 5 it's showing 16 hours remaining. (And no, it's not my connection. Uverse 15 mb/s and speedtest shows it's fine and able to download TitanFall update in mins and it was 800mbs)
Its your connection. Never had and issue at all getting download on 3 devices.
KdParker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:10 PM   #43
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

And the pages still reload in Safari on the Air, just like they did before the update. Very disappointing.
AppleScruff1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:17 PM   #44
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

It's still an unacceptably bad GUI.
dysamoria is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:22 PM   #45
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Upgraded my iPhone and iPads and they're running silky smooth. Can't say enough good things about this update. It's not a huge leap by any means, but the subtle changes/improvements are enough to make the overall experience even better.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:27 PM   #46
Kidder1994
macrumors regular

7.1 not only deserves an award for the new changes, they have done something about the crash issue, and that is very important.... my 5s with 7.0.4 got frozen on some apps like spotify, and springboard crashed while i was changing wallpapers... and in the report logs it appeared some itunes crash and low battery logs... i really gave up on believing it was a software problem after people here in the forums told me that it can be a processor issue... (this iphone was a replacement already)

right now with 7.1 i changed wallpapers like 100 times and no any crash appeared, right now it have over 9 hours in standby and no any crash log appeared (in 7.0.4 i left it on my desk turned on without touching it, and it crashed randomly and i only could verify it checking diagnostics u_u)

So a big YAY for this new update... and i hope my crashing iphone finds redemption :C
Kidder1994 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:29 PM   #47
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
And the pages still reload in Safari on the Air, just like they did before the update. Very disappointing.
They shouldn't be. Did you try quitting all your apps and restarting? I have 5 tabs open on my Air and I can switch between them effortlessly without the pages reloading.
Karma*Police is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:32 PM   #48
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
People don't want to lose their jailbreak :P

I need to hurry and get a 5S before there no longer is a JB
Why even buy a iPhone if all you want to do is jailbreak? Pretty obvious that Apple will stop at nothing to destroy any attempts. Best that people forget about jailbreaking.
cdmoore74 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:33 PM   #49
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
They reloaded on iOS 6 too. I'd love to know exactly what the issue is (hardware or software or both) and why Apple doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it. But I've been using 7.1 on my Air now for a whole day and haven't had a crash yet. So there's that.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:44 PM   #50
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shookster View Post
Why is the chart designed to make 5.9% look like a huge number? It's a small number and a 0-100% scale would show that.
So some 500mil units in circulation that can take advantage of the update...just over 25,000,000 in 24 hours is a 'small number?' Kit-Kat's been out for a bit now. Maybe we've reached a single percentage point? Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm95 View Post
I think the #1 improvement in 7.1 is the quicker animation speeds. Macrumors has barely given any credit to that and it makes iOS so much more usable. I can't understand someone not switching because of a slightly darker shade of green since 7.1 makes the animations so fast.
Agreed. Four finger swipe up to multi task is seemless. No crashing, glitching, or springboard resets for me...iPhone 5/5s, iPad 4, Air and wife's mini. Extraordinary update

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryzx View Post
NO MORE FULL PHOTOS

Now you can't even see the tiny circle it uses for who is calling

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
I respectfully disagree. I think the new dialer UI is exceptional. I don't need more than a dot of a dude

Quote:
I've got four open now on my Air, five on mini. None are reloading. I was able to get a reload on my seventh tab in Safari. But it was an almost instantaneous 'refresh'. LTE rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
It's still an unacceptably bad GUI.
Again. I 'respectfully' disagree. Have you a GUI to show us? Or just fishing? Easy GUI is extremely HARD to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
They reloaded on iOS 6 too. I'd love to know exactly what the issue is (hardware or software or both) and why Apple doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it. But I've been using 7.1 on my Air now for a whole day and haven't had a crash yet. So there's that.
There's only so much RAM. It's a preventative measure so safari doesn't 'crash'. Happens on Android too. I've got a Note 3 and Nex7.2. Anyone that says they don't is full of you know what. What is the need to have so many tabs open anyway? Isn't it hard to read more than three or four sites simultaneously?
akdj is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion