Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your take on T-Mobile $30 Prepaid plan (100 min, unlimited text, 5GB of 4G data)

• Something like this would be great for me

Votes: 356 79.1%
  • Not for me

Votes: 94 20.9%

• Total voters

morphodone

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
I have to say it became a quest I didn't expect. I tried to buy the code PsstGreek suggested multiple times, but I just kept on getting errors and wasn't able to buy it. I tried a few different payment options, but my orders just didn't go through. Then I read some recent customer reviews and found out some other ppl had the same thing.

So... I wonder what I should do. Should I buy one of these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Nano-SIM-Activation-Kit/34443772
(but "in-store only", and doesn't even have a price... what is this, anyway?)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-...csepg00000000000000000000000000000101&veh=cse

Or, should I just swing by the nearest Walmart?

Thanks for your advise.

Not sure why you are having so much trouble. You do not need to go to wal-mart to buy the SIM but you can.

I bought a sim kit from Target and activated it online.
You can see the plan here:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Towards the bottom left of the page it reads:
100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds
This plan is only available for devices purchased from
Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com

Perhaps you should set up a new number and then call T-Mobile support and have them port your current number over to the new SIM. This is what I did because I wanted to try out the service before I ported my number from AT&T.

Hope that helps.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Not sure why you are having so much trouble. You do not need to go to wal-mart to buy the SIM but you can.

I bought a sim kit from Target and activated it online.
You can see the plan here:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Towards the bottom left of the page it reads:
100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds
This plan is only available for devices purchased from
Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com

Perhaps you should set up a new number and then call T-Mobile support and have them port your current number over to the new SIM. This is what I did because I wanted to try out the service before I ported my number from AT&T.

Hope that helps.

That's exactly it! This plan is intended only for new T-mobile subscribers, so if you try to port your number over from another T-mobile plan, it won't offer this plan. You need to sign up as a new activation and take a new number (or port a number from a different carrier).

Once you have the plan active on a new number, you can call within 30 days and port your existing number over. I know for sure you can do this from another carrier, and I'm nearly certain you can port your other T-mobile number over and they won't notice it's going to this new plan. Just be aware that if you are porting over another pre-paid number and that account has a credit balance on it, you will lose that credit....so run your credit down before porting the number over.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
That's exactly it! This plan is intended only for new T-mobile subscribers, so if you try to port your number over from another T-mobile plan, it won't offer this plan. You need to sign up as a new activation and take a new number (or port a number from a different carrier).

Once you have the plan active on a new number, you can call within 30 days and port your existing number over. I know for sure you can do this from another carrier, and I'm nearly certain you can port your other T-mobile number over and they won't notice it's going to this new plan. Just be aware that if you are porting over another pre-paid number and that account has a credit balance on it, you will lose that credit....so run your credit down before porting the number over.

It is intended for new customers but the system will not prevent you from porting your T-Mobile # on another plan over to this new $30 plan during the sign up. I've done it twice in the past.

Last year, I opened an account on a new Nexus 4 using the $70 postpaid. A month later, the CS told me I could cancel it by porting my # over to a new account which I did and that was the $30 plan.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

I was on a Simple Choice Plan and transferred over to the prepaid plan (same number) with no issues.

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA

It is intended for new customers but the system will not prevent you from porting your T-Mobile # on another plan over to this new $30 plan during the sign up. I've done it twice in the past.

Last year, I opened an account on a new Nexus 4 using the $70 postpaid. A month later, the CS told me I could cancel it by porting my # over to a new account which I did and that was the $30 plan.

Interesting. Well, I wasn't sure what to do, so I just checked with two local Walmarts. One of them had a T-mobile nano sim starter kit ($38.99) in stock, so I just grabbled it and got it activated for the $30 plan. Yes, because of my lack of knowledge, it was a real hustle, but I am good now. Thanks all for your help!

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Does anyone know how to port a T-mobile post-paid number to this plan? I have the correct SIM purchased from T-mobile.com but I want to keep my post-paid number when i switch.

Can i do this online? Call? Do i need to go to a T-mobile store?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Does anyone know how to port a T-mobile post-paid number to this plan? I have the correct SIM purchased from T-mobile.com but I want to keep my post-paid number when i switch.

Can i do this online? Call? Do i need to go to a T-mobile store?

You do it during the sign up process for the $30 plan.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
You do it during the sign up process for the $30 plan.

Thanks, worked perfectly!

Question: I'm a bit unclear how this works as I've never done Prepaid before. So, I pay $30 at the start of the month but I can also add funds above that amount so that in case I go over the allotted 100 minutes it automatically deducts from that extra balance? I signed up for the auto-pay, so it will charge my card every month, and so I'd only have to add funds if I'm worried about going over the 100 minutes in any particular month?

Edit: Bummer -- looks like there is no tethering included. I knew this was a risk, but heard conflicting things about whether or not this worked. Was hoping to get lucky!

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Edit: Bummer -- looks like there is no tethering included. I knew this was a risk, but heard conflicting things about whether or not this worked. Was hoping to get lucky!
Tethering is an additional $15/month on this plan.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Thanks, worked perfectly!

Question: I'm a bit unclear how this works as I've never done Prepaid before. So, I pay $30 at the start of the month but I can also add funds above that amount so that in case I go over the allotted 100 minutes it automatically deducts from that extra balance? I signed up for the auto-pay, so it will charge my card every month, and so I'd only have to add funds if I'm worried about going over the 100 minutes in any particular month?

Yep. If you go over your minutes you can add more money in and it will deduct from the balance.

Tethering would be an additional $15/month on top.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Yep. If you go over your minutes you can add more money in and it will deduct from the balance.

Tethering would be an additional $15/month on top.

Tethering started working today for apparently no reason. I did not add the service for $15 a month. I did have my phone unlocked via the official route (requested from t-mobile then restored my phone and iTunes told me it was unlocked) so maybe that had something to do with it?

Whatever happened i'm not complaining :)

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Tethering started working today for apparently no reason. I did not add the service for $15 a month. I did have my phone unlocked via the official route (requested from t-mobile then restored my phone and iTunes told me it was unlocked) so maybe that had something to do with it?

Same!!! My tethering started working like a week ago... Interesting I didn't pay extra 15$. Hopefully it'll stay that way

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

Mine shows up that way as well (also went the same route as you). I have the option of turning on wi-fi hotspot and everything. I wonder if we would be charged anything?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I spoke to soon -- so the tethering option is now available but when I try to use it I get redirected to a t-mobile page telling me to sign up for hotspot. Oh well!

beegie

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
USA
Finally Got The $30 T-Mo Plan Going Today

Hello, I was following this thread a few months ago, but haven't kept up recently.

Had previously learned from these forums that even older iPhone-3Gs WILL work w/T-Mo ONLY IF you are in a REFARMED AREA (which we ARE, in FLA), & per their map I sit in their 2nd-to-top VERY GOOD (vs. Excellent) area. But the 3G-internet-speed on this plan is only showing 1-2 bars, pretty bad, sometimes 3. With ATT it was always 5 bars.

But since it's only been a few hours since activation, I'll obviously keep it going for the 1-month already paid & see how it goes. I knew it was somewhat of an "experiment" since I've never had T-Mo Internet w/a Smartphone before (& an older smartphone at that).

Online activation was easy, very clear as to how to do it, no problems at all. I did ask for a new phone # as I could care less about keeping prior #, so that was easy & they just happened to give me a VERY NICE # that I like. :)

I also added the $15 extra for the hotspot/tethering, but after activation & seeing only 1-2 bars for 3G Network Speed, I figure tethering a laptop is probably not going to work very well.

They credited the $30 almost right away that came w/the Activation Kit (previously read others said they had to call or wait a day or so before that $30 showed up in their acct., but that was not the case here today).

The Disappointments So Far (besides 1-2 bars internet speed):

1. Call Forward does not work. I should have figured that. As soon as you fill in the call forward #, it immediately removes it, it won't let it stick.

2. Tried six times to send a text msg. so far today, & every time it would get to near the end of the Send Bar & get stuck & never finish; would say "NOT DELIVERED" with a red exclamation point.

QUESTIONS, please, if anybody knows:

1. What is the max characters for this plan for text messages? I turned on the Character Count/Messages in iPhone Settings & it shows 160. So is that the T-Mo max characters for this plan per text message?

2. Might the low 1-2 bars be causing text msgs NOT to go through?

3. Is there any reason this $30 plan (if I get another kit) would NOT work on an iPad-Mini-Retina (which has cellular & wifi)? (they use Nano sims). I was thinking to maybe buy an iPad-Mini-Retina-w/Cellular+Wifi in future months.

4. Is there any reason NOT to just buy Sims from the T-Mo site itself, whether just the Sim or a "Starter Kit" (just to get a Nano sim to use w/iPad-Mini-Retina-Cellular) but use the $30 Plan MICRO-KIT Activation Card/#'s etc. that I have 2 extra of those from Walmart?

PRIOR HASSLE Just to Get the SIMS for This $30 Plan, FWIW

From March 11 through last week, just about six weeks, we tried repeatedly to get the STANDARD Sims from Target, like so many had mentioned in this thread & others, even providing the link @ Target for that exact product (I had already bought the $30 T-Mo Plan Micro Sim Kits from Walmart last October, just needed T-Mo Standard Sims).

What a royal hassle Target was. Even though we would check their site & do the "Store Locator/In Stock" check, copy that out, & go to the various Target Stores, every single time they said they did NOT have STANDARD sims, even though their website would show that store DID have them IN STOCK. So we did the same routine for numerous Target stores, even though their site said YES they DID have them, the stores would say NO they didn't. This went on for six weeks, numerous Target stores. So I would NOT recommend Target/T-Mo sims if you're looking for a STANDARD for a 3Gs! Can't trust what their website says re which stores in your location actually has them in stock!

Finally, totally by accident, I discovered that Walmart Online actually had what they call a COMBI-Sim for this exact same $30 T-Mo Plan. The sim is a combination Micro + STANDARD sim, total price w/taxes was like $42, ship to store, make sure they SCAN the bar code on the back of the pkg when you go to pick it up, or it won't activate online (the Walmart guy/clerk was NOT planning to scan it because he said it had already been paid for via ship-to-store, so we had to tell him to scan it, so then he did & it worked fine setting it up online @ T-Mo site.)

End of Story! ;)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
160 characters I believe is the world standard for text messages, it's not a T-Mobile limit. The $30 phone plan will not work in a iPad, you will just get directed to the T-Mobile site to login and create a data plan.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
if it had about 500 minutes i would be all over it. Does it work with a 5s? I really don't use a lot of minutes and then i would be able to use face time audio more. I wish carriers would go back to limited minutes again. or let you build your own bundle of some sort.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
if it had about 500 minutes i would be all over it. Does it work with a 5s? I really don't use a lot of minutes and then i would be able to use face time audio more. I wish carriers would go back to limited minutes again. or let you build your own bundle of some sort.
Asking as the 5S is unlocked or is a T-Mobile phone, it wil work as with any other phone.

I just keep this plan activated on a Nexus 4 for people that I don't want to have my every day number.

beegie

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
USA
160 characters I believe is the world standard for text messages, it's not a T-Mobile limit.

Thanks Jackie. When I had ATT, there was no trouble sending text msgs, even VERY VERY LONG ONES with Tons of Paragraphs. But with the T-Mo $30 plan & trying to send even short text msgs this morning, NONE of them would go through (tried 6 times; have not tried again yet today). Hopefully things will improve!

The $30 phone plan will not work in a iPad, you will just get directed to the T-Mobile site to login and create a data plan.

Awwwwww bummer. Maybe the next gen of ipad-mini's will have phones built in so any phone/data/text plan would work on them same as phones. I see T-Mo does have "tablet" plans, one for 3gig/mo $20 sale for now.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013

I doubt this plan would ever go to 500 minutes, because it would end up destroying Tmo's $50/$60/$70 unlimited plans.

The vast majority of people I know could easily get by on 500 mins/month. The other plans would quickly become niche options for those who need a lot of airtime.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
I doubt this plan would ever go to 500 minutes, because it would end up destroying Tmo's $50/$60/$70 unlimited plans.

The vast majority of people I know could easily get by on 500 mins/month. The other plans would quickly become niche options for those who need a lot of airtime.

its funny how times change when the limit you on minutes and texts while giving you unlimited data. now they limit data and give you unlimited minutes and text. I remember my first Verizon plan was 450 minutes with like 1000 texts and unlimited data on a flip phone and was like $50 a month . I forget what kind of data it was. I remember I needed to select the minutes and text I wanted now I need to select the data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.