Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:19 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Shortens iPhone Return Window to 14 Calendar Days




Customers who purchased an iPhone from an Apple Store in the U.S. had a 30-day period to try out the phone and return it for any reason. Starting March 13th, this return window is being shortened to 14 calendar days, claims 9to5Mac.
Quote:
According to an internal document provided by one of our retail sources, Apple plans to change its iPhone return policy to just 14 days beginning on March 13th. However the return policy currently published on Apple.com already reflects this change.
This change brings Apple's return policy in line with U.S. carriers, which offer a 14-day return period for customers who buy an iPhone from a carrier's website or retail store. Previously, Apple would accept returns beyond the carrier's 14-day period, but within the company's 30-day return window. These customers would be credited for their iPhone purchase, but they still had to pay an early termination fee and any other associated charges to the carrier. This policy often was confusing to customers who expected to return their phone without penalty.

This change also standardizes Apple's return policy across all product categories. Starting March 13th, customers who purchase an item from Apple will have 14 days in which to make a return, regardless of what they purchased.

Article Link: Apple Shortens iPhone Return Window to 14 Calendar Days
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:20 AM   #2
Fondaparinux
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Getting a little greedy there, eh, Tim?
Fondaparinux is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:22 AM   #3
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000
 
BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
I think this is a good move on Apple's part. It brings consistency in policy across the board. Less confusion for consumers. Also, it could mean less wear and tear on items returned.

In my opinion, 14 days is long enough to determine whether one likes an item or not.
__________________
The Bill of Rights is not a Bill of Loopholes.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Lefty21
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lexington, KY
Still plenty of time.
__________________
13" Late 2009 MacBook, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM ; 16 GB iPhone 4S ; 30 GB 5th Generation iPod Classic
Lefty21 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:30 AM   #5
SJism23
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
I think this is a good move on Apple's part. It brings consistency in policy across the board. Less confusion for consumers. Also, it could mean less wear and tear on items returned.

In my opinion, 14 days is long enough to determine whether one likes an item or not.
Completely agree. No need to test a phone for one whole month.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
Getting a little greedy there, eh, Tim?
How is this greedy?
SJism23 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:31 AM   #6
ssl0408
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Well, now there's no incentive for me to purchase iPhones directly from Apple. I preferred their return policy, but now that it's the same, I won't mind buying from the carrier or big box store.
ssl0408 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:35 AM   #7
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
Getting a little greedy there, eh, Tim?
I don't see it that way and 14 days was the original return window even under Jobs. I'm not even sure how you can call this greedy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
I think this is a good move on Apple's part. It brings consistency in policy across the board. Less confusion for consumers. Also, it could mean less wear and tear on items returned.

In my opinion, 14 days is long enough to determine whether one likes an item or not.
I agree. Far too many people have openly discussed how they kept a phone for nearly a month and decided they wanted the color or size they truly wanted. Many have come here bragging about their basic rental or saying how they wanted a certain model but it was not available so they just bought whatever and now intend to return it. I loved it in one way because the refurb store was riddled with these returns that had nothing wrong with them. However, this 14-day window will reduce the people who abused the previous return policy.
GoCubsGo is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Bare
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Giving people less time to buy the phone before the new one is announced, then return it when the new phone is released.

Better be really sure you want to buy that discounted 5S from walmart in August.
Bare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:40 AM   #9
seecoolguy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
Completely agree. No need FOR ME to test a phone for one whole month.[COLOR="#808080"]
fixed that for you. You may not need a full 30 days but I'm sure there were customers who exercised that option, I'm curious what the need to shorten it to be in line with the carriers?

I don't think Apple is being any more greedy by shortening the length of time, but if they want to really make things simple, then they could just let the carriers sell the devices exclusively...
seecoolguy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:53 AM   #10
unplugme71
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
The 30 day was because carriers offered 30 days (ie AT&T). Now they offer 14 days so Apple no longer needs to have a 30 day return policy anymore.
unplugme71 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Nimrad
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
Getting a little greedy there, eh, Tim?
Wow, you're far off
Nimrad is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:12 AM   #12
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Seems like this didn't go in the right direction where carriers would have changed to 30 days instead like they had before. Certainly becoming less consumer friendly as time goes on.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:18 AM   #13
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
It used to be 30 days in California by law, but they recently changed it to 14 days.
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4 | 15" MB Pro & 13" MBA | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:23 AM   #14
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
2 weeks is more than enough time. Don't really see why people would even return it if they made that expensive investment in the first place.
dannyyankou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:30 AM   #15
ssl0408
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
2 weeks is more than enough time. Don't really see why people would even return it if they made that expensive investment in the first place.
Maybe because the device doesn't work properly? I find your post to be silly.
ssl0408 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:30 AM   #16
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
Getting a little greedy there, eh, Tim?
How is it greedy? A customer should know if the phone they bought is going to work for them within 2 weeks. I bought an iPad Air the other day. I just knew for sure the 16GB storage was going to be plenty enough for work purposes. Took me all of 2 days to realize that 16GB was not going to work at all. Exchanged it for a larger storage. I actually thought all Apple purchases had a 14 day return policy anyway.
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:31 AM   #17
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
Getting a little greedy there, eh, Tim?
Don't you think feeling entitled to rent a phone for two weeks without payment is greedy?
gnasher729 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:31 AM   #18
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
Getting a little greedy there, eh, Tim?
Far too many people abuse Apple's return policy. This is the inevitable by-product of that.
ugahairydawgs is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:32 AM   #19
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssl0408 View Post
Maybe because the device doesn't work properly? I find your post to be silly.
That's warranty, not a return. Even with a "no returns" policy, you can return devices that don't work.
gnasher729 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:42 AM   #20
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
That's warranty, not a return. Even with a "no returns" policy, you can return devices that don't work.
Yep, every iPhone comes with a one year warranty and you could exchange it if it doesn't work. A bit different than spending $800 on a phone and deciding two weeks later "eh, I don't want this."
dannyyankou is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:46 AM   #21
numlock
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Don't you think feeling entitled to rent a phone for two weeks without payment is greedy?
apple charges your credit card right? i mean apple is not lending it without collateral or payment.

i assume prices will be lowered to reflect apples savings here.
numlock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:05 AM   #22
ricktat
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
So the next conspiracy will be that the Iphone 6 is coming out in 15 days
ricktat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:07 AM   #23
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I think this change is acceptable. The 30 day time period was often confusing when combined with carrier's 14 day return policies. AT&T claims you are in a contract after 14 days even if you return the phone.
I barely ever return things myself anyway. If you don't want it then don't buy it. If there are issues there is a warranty.
dave420 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:11 AM   #24
869639
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Earth
Send a message via Skype™ to 869639
Quote:
Originally Posted by numlock View Post
apple charges your credit card right? i mean apple is not lending it without collateral or payment.

i assume prices will be lowered to reflect apples savings here.
At the same time apple doesn't charge you anything even when you return it on the 28th, 29th or 30th day....No one is going to lend anyone anything without collateral...thats a given fact....and your argument would be valid if Apple took even a penny after the 14days from you....because you couldn't make up your mind.

Be glad they let you have 14 days which is plenty, think about this when you buy a car...you won't even get 14 days...just an hour [if lucky] test drive and thats it.

----------

30 day policy definitely was abused all due to people's mind taking too long to get convinced regarding color....majority of the cases were returning due to color rather than capacity.
869639 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:12 AM   #25
KALLT
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
That's warranty, not a return. Even with a "no returns" policy, you can return devices that don't work.
He still has a point though. Suppose your iPhone is not working properly and you are trying to get it solved. It is not unlikely that you may think at some point: this is going nowhere, I've had it, I want my money back. Two weeks can be very short. A warranty does not necessarily entitle you to a refund.
KALLT is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Changes iPhone Return Window - Now 14 Days madsci954 iPhone 2 Mar 12, 2014 10:42 AM
All iPads: Return window, return shipping, other costs? skiltrip iPad 4 Jun 23, 2013 02:24 PM
Apple Return Policy Now 14 Days? 9th Wonder iPhone 23 May 12, 2013 08:01 PM
Is it too late to return my iPhone 5. 14 days have passed jigmeister iPhone 20 Oct 5, 2012 05:37 PM
When you buy an iPhone 5 on contract and return it within 30 days, what happens? petrucci666 iPhone 5 Oct 4, 2012 10:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC