Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler'

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
Dear MacRumors users,

I'm going to USA this summer for a Work&Travel Program and the first thing I'm doing when I arrive in Michigan - is buying an iPhone 5s 32gb for myself and as I'm not that used with iPhones - I would like to ask you some questions. By the way, I'll be staying in the US for 4 months. From the middle of May to September.

As I read - there is possibility to unlock the iPhone by IMEI, so here comes the first question:
  1. Should I buy the unlocked iPhone and SIM card separately so I could use the phone in my country (Republic of Moldova) with my native carrier - "Orange" for $750 when I come back? If yes - what operator would you recommend me for the light purpose (to be available on the phone, light amount of calls, a little 3g data)?
  2. Or should I buy locked iPhone for $300 and pay extra ~$50 to unlock it? If yes - what operator is easier and less complicated to unlock? Or I can unlock it only after ~6 months?
  3. Due to the above - is the next idea possible to implement: buying iPhones, unlocking them for total of ~$350 (if talking about 5s 32gb), sending them to Moldova where they are being sold for like $800+. Profit?
  4. And finally, if there's no mistake above and all of this is possible - do the IMEI's on the sealed package and the iPhone itself always match so I can send the IMEI to unlock without breaking the package itself?
Alternative suggests are welcome.

Thank you for your attention and help in advance and have a nice day. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.