Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft OneNote Going Free with Mac Launch Later This Month

Microsoft is working on a version of OneNote for the Mac that will debut later this month, claims The Verge. This release will expand the note-taking software beyond its roots as a paid desktop app for Windows users and will complement the mobile apps that exist on iOS and Android.

According to The Verge's report, Microsoft will drop the price on the note-taking app and release it for free to both OS X and Windows owners. The latest version of OneNote also may include companion web-clipper extensions that plug into popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer. These plug-ins will make it easy for people to grab snippets from web pages and immediately share them with the OneNote app.

Microsoft hopes the price drop along with new web-clipping feature will make OneNote attractive to customers who currently use competing note-taking apps such as Evernote.
Quote:
We understand that Microsoft will release the OneNote for Mac app for free, and the company is also planning to make the Windows desktop version available at no extra cost. This marks a significant change in the way Microsoft manages OneNote, unbundling it fully from the cost of Office. We're told part of this free approach is targeted at competitors like Evernote, but Microsoft is also adding additional features to entice people away from the competition.
The launch of OneNote is part of a larger push by Microsoft into the Apple ecosystem. The company is rumored to be working on a new version of Office for the Mac that may debut later this year as well as Office for the iPad that allegedly is coming soon.

Article Link: Microsoft OneNote Going Free with Mac Launch Later This Month
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:01 AM   #2
DavidG328
macrumors regular

In the thread yesterday, weren't people saying this was never going to happen?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:02 AM   #3
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

As I've already mentioned I'm great with Evernote. Works on my Macs, iPhone, iPad and works with Windows machines. Syncs everything together. Just a hunch based on history One Note on Mac won't be as good as One Note on Windows.....that's just one of the reasons I won't leave Evernote.
HenryDJP is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:05 AM   #4
minhvn
macrumors newbie

"Free is good" - Craig Federighi
minhvn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:07 AM   #5
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhvn View Post
"Free is good" - Craig Federighi
Only if the product works like you need it to.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Nikiaf
macrumors member

This is great. I much prefer OneNote to Evernote, but since I have an Apple laptop that I use at school, OneNote was pretty much out of the question.
Nikiaf is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Crispy Duck
macrumors regular

Now that's a nicely designed icon/logo.

Much better than the sparse Apple Notes icon.
Crispy Duck is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:12 AM   #8
RyanFromQA
macrumors member

This is good news - I was reticent to drop money on something like Outline for both Mac and iPad, because Microsoft's iPad OneNote was free and very good. Now I don't have to. To be honest, though, I would have been willing to drop $20 or more on the Mac version of OneNote.
RyanFromQA is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:15 AM   #9
scotty321
macrumors regular

No thanks, Microsoft. I'll stick with Evernote.
scotty321 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Razeus
macrumors 68040

OneNote. The only MS product I use and care about.

Evernote is such a mess.
Razeus is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:17 AM   #11
seamer
macrumors 6502

Will probably appeal to users who haven't used Evernote yet and become embedded in the hipsterality that comes with using something the mainstream haven't discovered yet.

That being said, we're already investigating Evernote for Business. Dropping the price to "free" on a tool not on our radar doesn't really do much for us.
seamer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:18 AM   #12
LagunaSol
Banned

Evernote Forever. Until the weasels at Google buy them up. (You know it's coming - how can they resist the opportunity to suck all that juicy personal data into their servers?)
LagunaSol is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:18 AM   #13
aloshka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikiaf View Post
This is great. I much prefer OneNote to Evernote, but since I have an Apple laptop that I use at school, OneNote was pretty much out of the question.
I am with you. I like Evernote, and use it right now, but always felt the interface to be cluttered and confusing. Nothing beats just having folder looking tabs for sections / notes. Maybe that is just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFromQA View Post
This is good news - I was reticent to drop money on something like Outline for both Mac and iPad, because Microsoft's iPad OneNote was free and very good. Now I don't have to. To be honest, though, I would have been willing to drop $20 or more on the Mac version of OneNote.
Yeah me too. If one note is going to be good and well thought through, I'm thinking office will be awesome. As much as I love numbers, I still prefer excel. Numbers seems to be too focused on presentation, I just need a place to dump data, analyze, email and move on.
aloshka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:19 AM   #14
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Meh. I think that ship sailed for me. You'll probably need SkyDrive, or OneDrive, or whatever they call it now. I've been on Evernote forever and a day now, and it works fine. Unless I need to start sharing with other ON users, I don't have a need for it.

Glad they're coming around though. Hopefully they'll do the same with other apps [paid for is fine] like Project, etc.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:19 AM   #15
hagar
macrumors regular

I never used OneNote. Currently I'm on Evernote and it's a mess indeed. Far too cluttered interface, slow, too much friction.

I like simplenote a lot but obviously it can only take plain text.
hagar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:19 AM   #16
aloshka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
Only if the product works like you need it to.
If microsoft's release of Remote Desktop is any indication of their new software quality, I think I'm in.
aloshka is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:20 AM   #17
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Just a hunch based on history One Note on Mac won't be as good as One Note on Windows.....
I think you can take that to the bank.
LagunaSol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:24 AM   #18
aloshka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
I think you can take that to the bank.
I'm not trying to be an MS advocate, but I think this is turning around. Their Remote Desktop for mac recently released, gets more updates, more polished, supports remotefx and faster than it's now 4-year old same-version windows counterpart.

I get that everyone hates Microsoft because they were the big guys back then and didn't care. They are no longer the big guys, they are under new management that doesn't seem to spit when they talk. Their software quality is going up as they are trying to get back into the market. I think anything that is new and wasn't made when Balmer was in charge may be really good. The entire apple division as an example.
aloshka is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:25 AM   #19
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Yes!

It's going to be difficult for MSFT to stay competitive with cheaper/free software alternatives. At least Apple makes money off hardware and Google off search. Microsoft has to be careful where they choose to loose their profits.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:29 AM   #20
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloshka View Post
I get that everyone hates Microsoft because they were the big guys back then and didn't care. They are no longer the big guys, they are under new management that doesn't seem to spit when they talk. Their software quality is going up as they are trying to get back into the market. I think anything that is new and wasn't made when Balmer was in charge may be really good. The entire apple division as an example.
Unfortunately, we've been hearing for years that the Mac unit inside Microsoft marches to the beat of their own drum, is not beholden to the Windows side of the house, blah blah blah. But time and time again it has proved to be a lot of hot air. Mac Office products are clearly designed to be inferior feature-wise (and compatibility-wise) to the Windows version. Yes, Lord Ballmer is gone, but I don't see that corporate strategy changing.

I like your optimism, but I'll believe it when I see it.
LagunaSol is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:33 AM   #21
aloshka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Yes!

It's going to be difficult for MSFT to stay competitive with cheaper/free software alternatives. At least Apple makes money off hardware and Google off search. Microsoft has to be careful where they choose to loose their profits.
Google makes their profit from ads, not search. They mine users interactions with any of their services and hardware and are able to give advertisers analytical data that NSA can only dream of- or they use google data already. That's why google services are free; you are paying for them with your usage, data, emails, and privacy.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Unfortunately, we've been hearing for years that the Mac unit inside Microsoft marches to the beat of their own drum, is not beholden to the Windows side of the house, blah blah blah. But time and time again it has proved to be a lot of hot air. Mac Office products are clearly designed to be inferior feature-wise (and compatibility-wise) to the Windows version. Yes, Lord Ballmer is gone, but I don't see that corporate strategy changing.

I like your optimism, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I get your point, maybe it's more hopeful than reality. But to be fair too, MS has no choice but support OSX now ; I can't think of any business that doesn't have at least a few macs, whether personal or business. MS can no longer hold people hostage because there are no alternatives. They have to do something now or die.
aloshka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:44 AM   #22
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I am with you. I like Evernote, and use it right now, but always felt the interface to be cluttered and confusing. Nothing beats just having folder looking tabs for sections / notes. Maybe that is just me.
No offense but it really doesn't sound like you've really used Evernote. Cluttered and Confusing are two words that hardly describe it. If anything One Note has a steep learning curve.

----------

Quote:
I'm not trying to be an MS advocate, but I think this is turning around. Their Remote Desktop for mac recently released, gets more updates, more polished, supports remotefx and faster than it's now 4-year old same-version windows counterpart.

We'll have to cross that bridge when it gets here because MS's poor reputation with the Mac community isn't going to go away instantly just because the company is under new management and them not "necessarily" the Big Guys anymore.

I mean honestly, on the slowest, oldest, ram-constraint Windows PC, Office launches instantly. On an i7 Mac with 16GB ram it damn-near takes an SSD to launch MS Office fast. Uh I certainly don't think it has anything to do with the Mac being slow.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:46 AM   #23
MyopicPaideia
macrumors 6502a

This may be the wrong place to bring this up, and if it is I am sorry, but what is the draw of these note apps? What makes them particularly productive? Or more productive than say the Apple Notes App?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:49 AM   #24
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Google makes their profit from ads, not search. They mine users interactions with any of their services and hardware and are able to give advertisers analytical data that NSA can only dream of- or they use google data already. That's why google services are free; you are paying for them with your usage, data, emails, and privacy.

----------

I get your point, maybe it's more hopeful than reality. But to be fair too, MS has no choice but support OSX now ; I can't think of any business that doesn't have at least a few macs, whether personal or business. MS can no longer hold people hostage because there are no alternatives. They have to do something now or die.

Obviously. But you get the idea.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:52 AM   #25
MacVista
macrumors regular

Great alternative to the pale-white Notes app of iOS7.
MacVista is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion