Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbutlerk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
If i am using microsoft word for example i have a separate window open where there is no word file open. So let says window 2 is blank and window 1 has a word document. Is there a way to open a new word document in window 2 without the word document opening back in window 1? Id like word or any new files to open in the new windows rather than where the opened program is. It becomes incredibly annoying when i'm opening and closing multiple files.

Thanks

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm not understanding the situation, maybe others are having the same reaction, thus no responses. What does "window 2 is blank" mean? If it's a window in Word, it's a document regardless of whether or not you've entered any text or saved the file.

I just tried to replicate what I think your scenario is. I had a Word file open, then I opened a "new blank document" and then I went to File>Open and selected another document. This resulted in a third window, as I expected.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I too, have no idea what the question is. Word documents always in their own "new" windows.

dbutlerk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
Maybe window was the wrong word, i should have used desktop. If have 5 desktops windows open (the ones you see when you press F3) 1-5 lets say. I have microsoft word open in desktop one and the rest are blank. If i open a new document in microsoft word in desktops 2-5 it will automatically open in desktop one, it goes to whichever desktop the program is open in. Its like that for almost any open program on mac, whether its safari, chrome etc. The only one i've noticed that doesn't do that is preview.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I'm guessing you have changed very recently from Windows to a new Mac - is that correct? You are describing characteristics of windows when used in a MS Windows system, which is a major difference on OS X.

f3 will show all of your open windows (regardless of the app that uses those windows), but just for one screen (one space)
In your example of Word, each window is a separate document. There's no particular reason to keep blank documents open, as you can always select New, under the File menu in Word, which creates a new document for you to use as you need it.
If you open a new Word document, it appears in a new blank document window, and not replacing one that you already have open.
But again, there's no reason to keep several blank documents open.
One difference that may be throwing you off, is that Word is designed to be used in a multi-window setup. Each document, including new blank documents, that you have in use are in separate windows, and are all linked to the Word app. You can easily see what windows you have from the Windows menu in Word. Other apps, such as iTunes, are, by the intended use, a single window design. That is, you would only expect to have one single window with iTunes running.

dbutlerk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
I'm guessing you have changed very recently from Windows to a new Mac - is that correct? You are describing characteristics of windows when used in a MS Windows system, which is a major difference on OS X.

f3 will show all of your open windows (regardless of the app that uses those windows), but just for one screen (one space)
In your example of Word, each window is a separate document. There's no particular reason to keep blank documents open, as you can always select New, under the File menu in Word, which creates a new document for you to use as you need it.
If you open a new Word document, it appears in a new blank document window, and not replacing one that you already have open.
But again, there's no reason to keep several blank documents open.
One difference that may be throwing you off, is that Word is designed to be used in a multi-window setup. Each document, including new blank documents, that you have in use are in separate windows, and are all linked to the Word app. You can easily see what windows you have from the Windows menu in Word. Other apps, such as iTunes, are, by the intended use, a single window design. That is, you would only expect to have one single window with iTunes running.

see post below

Last edited:

dbutlerk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
should have done this in first place

http://imgur.com/o7SZp1E

so if i want to open a new word document in window 3 and the program is already open in window 1 it will automatically open the new word file in window 1. so if i am on window 3 it will drag me back to window 1 as the new file opens which is super annoying. i have a feeling this cant be disabled but just want to make sure.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's several possible solutions (or workarounds) that may help you with using spaces.
Here's an example: http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-mavericks-keeps-jumping-to-the-first-desktop

I don't know which OS X version you are using, as that will make a significant difference. Also, if you are using more than one display, that has changed with Mavericks - and, I think, is still undergoing changes as new updates appear with Mavericks.

dbutlerk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
There's several possible solutions (or workarounds) that may help you with using spaces.
Here's an example: http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-mavericks-keeps-jumping-to-the-first-desktop

I don't know which OS X version you are using, as that will make a significant difference. Also, if you are using more than one display, that has changed with Mavericks - and, I think, is still undergoing changes as new updates appear with Mavericks.

thanks ya thats not the problem. i had that problem described in that link on an older version but this is definitely built in.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
should have done this in first place

http://imgur.com/o7SZp1E

so if i want to open a new word document in window 3 and the program is already open in window 1 it will automatically open the new word file in window 1. so if i am on window 3 it will drag me back to window 1 as the new file opens which is super annoying. i have a feeling this cant be disabled but just want to make sure.

But? that's what you described in this post ^^^ !
Let me phrase how I thought you described it (and it remains a little fuzzy to me)
I try to open a new document, for example in Word, which is opened in space 3. I don't want the new document window to appear on space (screen)1, but on the same screen as the Word app.

Also, please tell what OS X version you have… (again, Mavericks made big changes in Mission Control, compared to previous OS X versions, along with other improvements to multiple displays)
Do you have only one display, or using more than one hardware display?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
thanks ya thats not the problem. i had that problem described in that link on an older version but this is definitely built in.

I think you might find it useful to go to Apple.com and click the Support tab. Then enter Mission Control, and follow links to articles explaining how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.