Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 7.1 Includes Warning Message About 15-Minute In-App Purchase Window

Along with several visual tweaks, CarPlay support, and Touch ID enhancements, iOS 7.1 also brought some changes to the way in-app purchases work. When making an in-app purchase for the first time after updating, users are notified via a pop-up window that additional in-app purchases can be made for 15 minutes without reentering a password.

The message also points to an existing option in the Settings menu that allows users to require a password with every in-app purchase.

First uncovered by AppleInsider, the new message is likely the result of an agreement between Apple and the Federal Trade Commission, which required the company to implement measures to obtain express consent from consumers before billing them for an in-app purchase.

According to the consent decree that was initially signed in January, Apple had until March 31 to make the necessary changes, which may or may not be completed with the inclusion of the new message that requires users to acknowledge the possibility of additional in-app purchases.

While the pop-up is new, Apple has always had a 15-minute purchase window allowing additional in-app purchases to be made without reentering a password, a policy that landed the company in hot water in 2011 after parental complaints about children over-spending in apps sparked the FTC's interest.

Apple made some changes to in-app purchases following the complaints, requiring a separate password entry specifically for in-app purchases, but the company was still forced by the FTC to to provide full refunds to parents whose children purchased unauthorized in-app items.

In addition to implementing the required changes to the App Store, Apple will refund approximately $32 million to parents.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Includes Warning Message About 15-Minute In-App Purchase Window
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:12 PM   #2
applesith
macrumors 68000

This is a win for lazy un-involved parents everywhere.
applesith is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:12 PM   #3
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Parents are still going complain because parents for others to do their jobs even if Apple improves the security for app purchase from minors. Lets make this simple stop letting your kids accessing your account and than the problem is easily solved.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:13 PM   #4
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
God forbid parents pay attention to what their kids are doing! Of course not all parents are like this, there are responsible ones of course!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:13 PM   #5
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
A lot of people are not aware of the default 15-minute open purchase period and have paid the price (literally). I was burned by this snafu myself. Glad to see the new alert.
LagunaSol is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:13 PM   #6
ryansimmons323
macrumors regular

But it'll be amazing how many parents won't understand that (or just ignore it completely) and then complain to Apple about how their kids spent thousands in 15 minutes.
ryansimmons323 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:15 PM   #7
snappyfool
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansimmons323 View Post
But it'll be amazing how many parents won't understand that (or just ignore it completely) and then complain to Apple about how their kids spent thousands in 15 minutes.
Apple would love that to happen. All the revenue and none of the blame!
snappyfool is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:15 PM   #8
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
Parents are still going complain because parents for others to do their jobs even if Apple improves the security for app purchase from minors. Lets make this simple stop letting your kids accessing your account and than the problem is easily solved.
I side with the parents on this. There was no warning of the 15 minute window previously, so after they enter their password allowing their child to download an app, how would they know it remains password free for 15 minutes?

I don't expect every parent to be technologically literate, and with Apple marketing themselves as family friendly, they should've tried harder to make the App Store family friendly ages ago.
Kilamite is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:17 PM   #9
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
how would they know it remains password free for 15 minutes?
They wouldn't. There's nothing "lazy" or "uninvolved" about it. It's a dangerous default setting that needed to be explained (or changed).
LagunaSol is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:18 PM   #10
ineedamac
macrumors 6502

Agreed

Quote:
I guess it is too much to pay attention to your kids these days. Just give them an iOS device and you have an instant baby sitter.
ineedamac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:23 PM   #11
jonnyb
macrumors 6502a

Homer:

"Now because of me they have a warning!"
jonnyb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:24 PM   #12
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

This is a good message. But I have never made an in app purchase before.
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:29 PM   #13
himanshumodi
macrumors member

Just to be clear, there will be an option to increase the window for in-app buying without passwords? I am hoping that changing that requires a password as well. Of course it would... folks at apple arent that dumb that they'd allow doing that without a password.
himanshumodi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:29 PM   #14
MacrumoursUser
macrumors regular

Just drop this nightmare called in app purchase at problem will be solved. This is the worst think Apple has done in years.
MacrumoursUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:30 PM   #15
nagromme
macrumors G5

How's Android doing with getting out a fix for their 30-minute spending window? What happens if they don't make the March deadline Apple was given?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/01/...ntal-controls/

(If a warning like this is so vital to hordes of people... even though Apple was already giving refunds as needed... then where would the warnings end? Still, this is a user-friendly change for the better.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrumoursUser View Post
Just drop this nightmare called in app purchase at problem will be solved. This is the worst think Apple has done in years.
You are confusing In-App Purchases with consumable IAP. Consumable IAP is like virtual coins/gold/gems, timers, and the like.

But if you eliminate IAP entirely, not only do some developers and great apps go away, but you lose the ability to buy add-on level packs, ad removal, full versions after trying limited versions, and other very useful, consumer-friendly payment models.

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Luckily, the App Store shows exactly what the IAP is. So if you see coins/consumables, you can stay away. I do! Because when it comes to consumables, I'm with you. A few games have done them in an OK, nicely optional way, but they're the exception in my view.

Last edited by nagromme; Mar 12, 2014 at 02:36 PM.
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:31 PM   #16
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

It's fun to think of how negligent parents will read that warning…

Last edited by AngerDanger; Mar 12, 2014 at 02:48 PM.
AngerDanger is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:35 PM   #17
puma1552
macrumors 68040

You know what was even better?

When there was no in-app purchase crap.

Free apps suck because they are loaded with ads and possibly in-app purchases, therefore free apps = no download

Paid apps increasingly suck because more and more of them have in-app purchases, therefore paid apps = fewer and fewer worth buying

What happened to when you plunked down your $1-$5 and got an app with no ads, and didn't need any in-app purchases to have a full feature set? Can't remember the last time I bought an app since everything is either cluttered with ads or has in-app purchases to take full advantage of the app.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:39 PM   #18
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Good on Apple. Although this should have been the default setting all along (IMO). It's done and it's for the better.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:41 PM   #19
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor11 View Post
This is a good message. But I have never made an in app purchase before.
Actually this is not a good message. It says go to Restrictions in Settings. In reality you have to go to General in Settings and then to Restrictions. For those that don't know this will be a frustrating message in my opinion.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:41 PM   #20
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrumoursUser View Post
But it's not just in-app purchases. In my case, my kid asked for a $.99 game. Sure, no problem. I put in my password, the game started downloading, he went on his merry way. And by "on his merry way" I mean "went to the other room where he managed to buy another dozen games because the 15-minute purchase window was still open, unbeknownst to me."

I'm not sure how some commenters here consider that laziness on the parents' behalf. How are we supposed to know the shopping spree continues unabated for 15 minutes by default?
LagunaSol is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:42 PM   #21
distemp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
I side with the parents on this. There was no warning of the 15 minute window previously, so after they enter their password allowing their child to download an app, how would they know it remains password free for 15 minutes?

I don't expect every parent to be technologically literate, and with Apple marketing themselves as family friendly, they should've tried harder to make the App Store family friendly ages ago.
If I hand a child a device worth hundreds of dollars, I'm going to watch them while they use it. If a parent can't be bothered to watch their kid then why is that anyone else's fault?
distemp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:43 PM   #22
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

How about a 15 minute window where you can buy an app and then "unbuy" it if it turns out you don't want it? I'd buy a lot more apps if I had the chance to do this.
SHirsch999 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:44 PM   #23
brianvictor7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
God forbid parents pay attention to what their kids are doing! Of course not all parents are like this, there are responsible ones of course!
While it is easy to say that parents should pay attention, it is not like they can be looking over the kid's shoulder at a 3.5" screen all the time or even most of the time. They should, however, be able to have a feature that insists on the password for each purchase, which is what, unless I am mistaken, this does but after 15 minutes. I would rather it be immediately every time, but that is me.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:44 PM   #24
distemp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
But it's not just in-app purchases. In my case, my kid asked for a $.99 game. Sure, no problem. I put in my password, the game started downloading, he went on his merry way. And by "on his merry way" I mean "went to the other room where he managed to buy another dozen games because the 15-minute purchase window was still open, unbeknownst to me."

I'm not sure how some commenters here consider that laziness on the parents' behalf. How are we supposed to know the shopping spree continues unabated for 15 minutes by default?
Did it occur to you that maybe...I dunno...you could have...again, I dunno...talked to your kid and told him or her not to do anything but play the game?
distemp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:47 PM   #25
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by distemp View Post
Did it occur to you that maybe...I dunno...you could have...again, I dunno...talked to your kid and told him or her not to do anything but play the game?
Why should I have assumed he had an open 15 minute buying period without my consent??? Why would I talk to him about something I wasn't even aware he was able to do?

It's a stupid default setting that consumers were not made aware of. Apple really should change the default setting, but the new alert is better than what we had before.
LagunaSol is offline   10 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion