Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Along with several visual tweaks, CarPlay support, and Touch ID enhancements, iOS 7.1 also brought some changes to the way in-app purchases work. When making an in-app purchase for the first time after updating, users are notified via a pop-up window that additional in-app purchases can be made for 15 minutes without reentering a password.

The message also points to an existing option in the Settings menu that allows users to require a password with every in-app purchase.

inapppurchasenotification.jpg
First uncovered by AppleInsider, the new message is likely the result of an agreement between Apple and the Federal Trade Commission, which required the company to implement measures to obtain express consent from consumers before billing them for an in-app purchase.

According to the consent decree that was initially signed in January, Apple had until March 31 to make the necessary changes, which may or may not be completed with the inclusion of the new message that requires users to acknowledge the possibility of additional in-app purchases.

While the pop-up is new, Apple has always had a 15-minute purchase window allowing additional in-app purchases to be made without reentering a password, a policy that landed the company in hot water in 2011 after parental complaints about children over-spending in apps sparked the FTC's interest.

Apple made some changes to in-app purchases following the complaints, requiring a separate password entry specifically for in-app purchases, but the company was still forced by the FTC to to provide full refunds to parents whose children purchased unauthorized in-app items.

In addition to implementing the required changes to the App Store, Apple will refund approximately $32 million to parents.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Includes Warning Message About 15-Minute In-App Purchase Window

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Parents are still going complain because parents for others to do their jobs even if Apple improves the security for app purchase from minors. Lets make this simple stop letting your kids accessing your account and than the problem is easily solved.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
This is a win for lazy un-involved parents everywhere.

A lot of people are not aware of the default 15-minute open purchase period and have paid the price (literally). I was burned by this snafu myself. Glad to see the new alert.

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom
But it'll be amazing how many parents won't understand that (or just ignore it completely) and then complain to Apple about how their kids spent thousands in 15 minutes.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
But it'll be amazing how many parents won't understand that (or just ignore it completely) and then complain to Apple about how their kids spent thousands in 15 minutes.

Apple would love that to happen. All the revenue and none of the blame!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Parents are still going complain because parents for others to do their jobs even if Apple improves the security for app purchase from minors. Lets make this simple stop letting your kids accessing your account and than the problem is easily solved.

I side with the parents on this. There was no warning of the 15 minute window previously, so after they enter their password allowing their child to download an app, how would they know it remains password free for 15 minutes?

I don't expect every parent to be technologically literate, and with Apple marketing themselves as family friendly, they should've tried harder to make the App Store family friendly ages ago.

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Just to be clear, there will be an option to increase the window for in-app buying without passwords? I am hoping that changing that requires a password as well. Of course it would... folks at apple arent that dumb that they'd allow doing that without a password.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
How's Android doing with getting out a fix for their 30-minute spending window? :p What happens if they don't make the March deadline Apple was given?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/01/17/apple-google-parental-controls/

(If a warning like this is so vital to hordes of people... even though Apple was already giving refunds as needed... then where would the warnings end? Still, this is a user-friendly change for the better.)

Just drop this nightmare called in app purchase at problem will be solved. This is the worst think Apple has done in years.

You are confusing In-App Purchases with consumable IAP. Consumable IAP is like virtual coins/gold/gems, timers, and the like.

But if you eliminate IAP entirely, not only do some developers and great apps go away, but you lose the ability to buy add-on level packs, ad removal, full versions after trying limited versions, and other very useful, consumer-friendly payment models.

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Luckily, the App Store shows exactly what the IAP is. So if you see coins/consumables, you can stay away. I do! Because when it comes to consumables, I'm with you. A few games have done them in an OK, nicely optional way, but they're the exception in my view.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's fun to think of how negligent parents will read that warning…

or9Qdyp.png

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
You know what was even better?

When there was no in-app purchase crap.

Free apps suck because they are loaded with ads and possibly in-app purchases, therefore free apps = no download

Paid apps increasingly suck because more and more of them have in-app purchases, therefore paid apps = fewer and fewer worth buying

What happened to when you plunked down your $1-$5 and got an app with no ads, and didn't need any in-app purchases to have a full feature set? Can't remember the last time I bought an app since everything is either cluttered with ads or has in-app purchases to take full advantage of the app.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is a good message. But I have never made an in app purchase before.

Actually this is not a good message. It says go to Restrictions in Settings. In reality you have to go to General in Settings and then to Restrictions. For those that don't know this will be a frustrating message in my opinion.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Just drop this nightmare called in app purchase at problem will be solved. This is the worst think Apple has done in years.

But it's not just in-app purchases. In my case, my kid asked for a $.99 game. Sure, no problem. I put in my password, the game started downloading, he went on his merry way. And by "on his merry way" I mean "went to the other room where he managed to buy another dozen games because the 15-minute purchase window was still open, unbeknownst to me."

I'm not sure how some commenters here consider that laziness on the parents' behalf. How are we supposed to know the shopping spree continues unabated for 15 minutes by default? :confused:

distemp

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
I side with the parents on this. There was no warning of the 15 minute window previously, so after they enter their password allowing their child to download an app, how would they know it remains password free for 15 minutes?

I don't expect every parent to be technologically literate, and with Apple marketing themselves as family friendly, they should've tried harder to make the App Store family friendly ages ago.

If I hand a child a device worth hundreds of dollars, I'm going to watch them while they use it. If a parent can't be bothered to watch their kid then why is that anyone else's fault?

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
How about a 15 minute window where you can buy an app and then "unbuy" it if it turns out you don't want it? I'd buy a lot more apps if I had the chance to do this.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
God forbid parents pay attention to what their kids are doing! Of course not all parents are like this, there are responsible ones of course!

While it is easy to say that parents should pay attention, it is not like they can be looking over the kid's shoulder at a 3.5" screen all the time or even most of the time. They should, however, be able to have a feature that insists on the password for each purchase, which is what, unless I am mistaken, this does but after 15 minutes. I would rather it be immediately every time, but that is me.

distemp

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
But it's not just in-app purchases. In my case, my kid asked for a $.99 game. Sure, no problem. I put in my password, the game started downloading, he went on his merry way. And by "on his merry way" I mean "went to the other room where he managed to buy another dozen games because the 15-minute purchase window was still open, unbeknownst to me."

I'm not sure how some commenters here consider that laziness on the parents' behalf. How are we supposed to know the shopping spree continues unabated for 15 minutes by default? :confused:

Did it occur to you that maybe...I dunno...you could have...again, I dunno...talked to your kid and told him or her not to do anything but play the game?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Did it occur to you that maybe...I dunno...you could have...again, I dunno...talked to your kid and told him or her not to do anything but play the game?

Why should I have assumed he had an open 15 minute buying period without my consent??? Why would I talk to him about something I wasn't even aware he was able to do? :mad:

It's a stupid default setting that consumers were not made aware of. Apple really should change the default setting, but the new alert is better than what we had before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.