Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc8081

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
I really want to get ipad data but it's pointless if I cannot get 10gb+ of 4g lte because I plan on streaming movies and other things.
So my question is do any of you have any ideas of how to go about getting a lot of data whether it be an actually plan or giving my ipad a hotspot through a device or phone. I seen tmobile and metropcs offer a unlimited data plans on their phones with limited hotspot is there a way around that?

Also i will only need the data in one location (my work) but wouldn't be able to hook up to a phone line if that helps. Thanks

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Buy an ATT unlimited SIM card from eBay or Craigslist. They run from $200-700 usually.

jc8081

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks! I actually just found that right after I typed this post. Do you know how those work? Is it easy to transfer? I read it needs to be a prepaid account? Is that what they all are on eBay?

Sorry I'm just really new to this....I don't want to buy one then not be able to transfer it or lose the grandfathered plan for some reason on accident

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Very easy to transfer. The person selling it needs to give you access to the AT&T account management page. From there you can attach the plan to your iPad's SIM and change the payment method to your own card.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Something to keep in mind, at least from AT&T is that they will throttle you and send nasty emails when you exceed 4gb. I think their "unlimited data" cap is 5gb.

I still have a grandfathered unlimited LTE data plan for my phone, and I rarely use beyond 1-2gb, but I did get a nastygram for going over 4gb once, with threats of cancelling my plan.

I'd like to think the original iPad unlimited plan is different, since mine is a phone LTE unlimited plan, but it's something you might want to keep an eye out for.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Something to keep in mind, at least from AT&T is that they will throttle you and send nasty emails when you exceed 4gb. I think their "unlimited data" cap is 5gb.

I still have a grandfathered unlimited LTE data plan for my phone, and I rarely use beyond 1-2gb, but I did get a nastygram for going over 4gb once, with threats of cancelling my plan.

I'd like to think the original iPad unlimited plan is different, since mine is a phone LTE unlimited plan, but it's something you might want to keep an eye out for.

Is that even legal? I mean unlimited is pretty self-explanatory to me. Have you consulted an attorney? You may have a case.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

I think they have backed off on the throttling a little. I have the grandfathered unlimited plan on my iPhone 5 and I am at 36gb this month. No throttling yet. I used to get throttled so much that my data was pretty much unusable.

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I have used more then 5gb on my unlimited iPad data plan and have never seen where I have been throttled.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I think they have backed off on the throttling a little. I have the grandfathered unlimited plan on my iPhone 5 and I am at 36gb this month. No throttling yet. I used to get throttled so much that my data was pretty much unusable.

Glad they're not throttling. I don't think I've ever been throttled on my phone since I'm not a high gb user. But 36gb wow! :) Have you gotten their warning texts at 4gb or 5gb though? I try not to push their "limits" so I've only exceeded 4gb once.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Glad they're not throttling. I don't think I've ever been throttled on my phone since I'm not a high gb user. But 36gb wow! :) Have you gotten their warning texts at 4gb or 5gb though? I try not to push their "limits" so I've only exceeded 4gb once.

I used to get them, not anymore. Maybe they gave up on me haha.

I don't usually use this much, but I've been streaming Netflix a lot lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.