Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Payments are for idiots who like funding the banking industry.

Wow, that's quite a mean thing (not to mention elitist) to say. You do realize that while a person may be able to afford monthly car payments they may not be able to purchase a car paid in full upfront. :rolleyes:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
New cars only...... Stuff the manufactures... how about a stand-alone solution the user can do it (not professional install) but like the stand-along DIY hands-free installations Car-Kits everyone is used to installing themselves.

Same could easily be done with CarPlay, i'm sure...

Not as good as CarPlay in the Dash, but its better than nothing, and everyone would have access to be, even the very old models of cars.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I honestly don't see the appeal. That UI is hideous. It's bad enough on my phone where thankfully I don't notice it with all the other apps I use but having to look at it all the time in my car. No thanks. Looks like something from a kids toy. There's no way I would swap my current in car system for that.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
New cars only...... Stuff the manufactures... how about a stand-alone solution the user can do it (not professional install) but like the stand-along DIY hands-free installations Car-Kits everyone is used to installing themselves.

Not as good as CarPlay in the Dash, but its better than nothing, and everyone would have access to be, even the very old models of cars.

why not just install an aftermarket head unit like he ones Pioneer sells and this article is about? if you aren't nut doing the install yourself you can bring it to an installer.

----------

I honestly don't see the appeal. That UI is hideous. It's bad enough on my phone where thankfully I don't notice it with all the other apps I use but having to look at it all the time in my car. No thanks. Looks like something from a kids toy. There's no way I would swap my current in car system for that.

good things opinions are free. mine says the UI is sweet. much easier to use than current crummy products like AppRadio and others.

phillypharm

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
If it's anything like my avh-x7500bt from pioneer with appradio mode, i'll pass.

the quality of the screen/interface is terrible and i don't use appradio mode anymore.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wow, that's quite a mean thing (not to mention elitist) to say. You do realize that while a person may be able to afford monthly car payments they may not be able to purchase a car paid in full upfront. :rolleyes:
A new car? Maybe not. But thats not necessary, especially if you didn't plan and save for it.

If you have $2k, the 10% or so downpayment for a well equipped Civic with fancy upgrades like Nav. There are plenty of preowned cars on the marker that obviously fit your budget better.

----------

Thats what this entire article is about.

A Pioneer (and other) branded aftermarket deck for $300-600 that you can install yourself. They've been in this business for years.

Last edited:

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I'll just wait until this can be installed separately like the Harmon/Kardon Drive+Play device I had years ago.

Attachments

• 32431899-2-440-overview-1.gif
    32431899-2-440-overview-1.gif
    34 KB · Views: 281

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
----------

[/COLOR]

if you cant afford a $300 Pioneer AppRadio double-din head unit, then you arent in the game. sorry.

I guess prices for these have gone way down then. I was thinking a stereo with a touch screen would be much more expensive, and to install the interface would be a big labor charge.

If the price is under $500 with professional install, maybe I will pick up a carplay stereo model once the system matures in a couple of years.

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004

Well, that really depends. High interest rates are for idiots or people who truly need something and can't afford it without spending a few years saving. (Yes, that happens.) However, a lot of banks these days are practically giving smaller loans (e.g. car loans) away, potentially making them a good investment if you're already looking for a car. Just do something smart with the money that you would have spent up front.

felixgun

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
REALLY hoping they update the flagship pioneer avic z150bh to work with CarPlay!! The features it has currently for my iphone 5s is pretty worthless.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Pioneer? Every radio I have had from them has needed software updates to deal with, among other things, iPhone bluetooth reception issues and error 19's. NEVER EVER do they issue a firmware update.

And yet I keep buying them because they work great with factory speakers.

defboob

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
It's true...don't expect Pioneer to release CarPlay on ANYTHING already released to market.... at least anytime soon. It took them MONTHS to release a bloody fix for a bluetooth audio streaming bug that happened when iOS 6 came out.

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
This would be perfect as I'm in the market for a touchscreen aftermarket car head unit, but I'm looking to buy one this week and not at the end of the year or later.

Check out Kenwood. I'm buying a DDX8901HD this week, it'll work with quite a few apps including Waze.

Sadly though, Kenwood support emailed me that they have no plans of integrating CarPlay into 2014 products.

It's a bit of a piss off that Apple didn't launch CarPlay at CES when every 12V supplier launched their 2014 product lines.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
for anybody interested in Pioneer's email, i had asked them about CarPlay and whether they would support it w/ say a new AppRadio model. this is what they said:
Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.

At the Geneva Motor Show, Apple announced CarPlay and has finalized and shared the CarPlay specification.

Currently, Pioneer is studying the possibility to implement CarPlay compatibility with both existing and future products.

Sincerely,

[redacted]
Customer Service Representative

I seriously hope that's not what this entire MR story is based on. Not to burst your bubble, but that's the most empty canned-PR response I ever heard.

Something new has been announced that has people talking -- and it's relevant to their industry. Of course they're going to say they're "looking into it". If they said anything more concrete they'd be on the spot if they actually didn't deliver, and if they said they weren't looking into it, it tells investors "we're resting on our laurels and will miss the boat to capitalize on this" and customers "stop paying attention to our company's products, we have nothing you'll be interested in".

They said exactly what they needed to to not really give a response one way of the other. "Studying the possibilities" was probably Palm's code word for "Deer caught in headlights" when the iPhone was released.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I still think the long term future will be a standard spot on the dash to just stick my phone in. Manufactures have been refusing to do this because they have been making so much money on buggy POS in-car nav and the like, but eventually some car company is going to do it, probably Toyota, and everyone else will be forced kicking and screaming to do the same.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Not if you make greater returns on your investments than the cost of finance.

And also, sometimes you get weird tax advantages for doing it.

Not to mention, ‘payment’ doesn’t necessarily imply interest - plenty of offers [in the US] for 0% financing. That’s “free money”, why pay cash? Keep you cash on hand (Cash is King). Heck, even non-zero rates - particularly, the low options like 0.9% - are inconsequential when you factor in things like warranty, free service, etc. :)

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Does apples carplay have any caveats that they require to let automakers use carplay integration? I would really love if they got rid of resistive touch screens... and were actually responsive within like 100ms of being touched rather than a second delay.

I think they use resistive touch screen because a lot of people wear gloves while driving.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Check out Kenwood. I'm buying a DDX8901HD this week, it'll work with quite a few apps including Waze.

Sadly though, Kenwood support emailed me that they have no plans of integrating CarPlay into 2014 products.

It's a bit of a piss off that Apple didn't launch CarPlay at CES when every 12V supplier launched their 2014 product lines.

Hopefully they consider it for 2015. I may finally upgrade my DDX6019 in my truck, or add a new one to my wife's Expedition.

I do wish they would start putting blu-ray drives in them instead of just DVD though. I don't need a true HD screen, just the ability to play blu-ray discs downscaled would be fine by me. I have way too many blu-rays now days that I can't play in my truck since they didn't come with DVD versions (and not all of them come with digital copies either). I guess this is more of a discussion for car audio forums though, ha ha ha.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
check out Pioneer App Radio.

App Radio is a horrendous failure, see reviews. I personally own a unit with it and its pure garbage.

----------

Not to mention, ‘payment’ doesn’t necessarily imply interest - plenty of offers [in the US] for 0% financing. That’s “free money”, why pay cash? Keep you cash on hand (Cash is King). Heck, even non-zero rates - particularly, the low options like 0.9% - are inconsequential when you factor in things like warranty, free service, etc. :)

Nobody gets "0%" on a car unless they are rich and already had enough money to pay cash anyway.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

The entire point of the article is about your pending ability to retrofit CarPlay (via Pioneer and others) into your current car, or a preowned car you can actually afford.

so i'm guessing you have absolutely no debt, never did, and never will? Mortgage fully paid in cash?

with car loans so low....why would anyone blow all their cash at once?

hell....here's a 0% interest loan....man...those idiots!!

https://slickdeals.net/deals/financial-tools/

----------

Well, that really depends. High interest rates are for idiots or people who truly need something and can't afford it without spending a few years saving. (Yes, that happens.) However, a lot of banks these days are practically giving smaller loans (e.g. car loans) away, potentially making them a good investment if you're already looking for a car. Just do something smart with the money that you would have spent up front.

but car loans are for idiots! ;)

----------

App Radio is a horrendous failure, see reviews. I personally own a unit with it and its pure garbage.

----------

Nobody gets "0%" on a car unless they are rich and already had enough money to pay cash anyway.
huh?

https://slickdeals.net/deals/financial-tools/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.