Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hi,
Since I'll soon be loosing my iMac and with it some nice handy features like an sd card reader at the back of my display or 4 USB 3 ports directly on my desk, I need something to compliment my nMP.

I plan to eventually store it away in a cabinet together with the TB raids. Sadly the old tb display that I got to replace my iMac has no SD slot nor USB 3.

Is there any hub that combines those two requirements and looks adequately nice?

Should I consider maybe a TB docking station in order to fuel the entire power of a fast sd card? Or is that overkill? I can never copy pictures down the card fast enough..

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
It doesn't have an SD card a lot though.

Interesting is the audio out option. Do you know if it's optical?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Turns out the Caldigit dock, otherwise a nice option, is not only missing an SD card slot, but also has no optical audio out :(
Useless for me.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hm it's been frustrating for me.. My solution now is two usb 3 hubs at different locations, one leaving the nMP for hard drives that are stored in one place hidden away, and another one that goes to my cabinet where I have my raids, next to my desk at hands reach. There I have attached a very simple usb 3 card reader.
I find now in day to day business that this solution kinda works.

Actually I could even attach a usb 2 card reader just to my TB display because my fastest SD card tops out at 45mb/s anyway ;)

Here are some pix of my setup (cant see the card reader though) https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18801103/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.