Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Titanfall Creators in Talks With Aspyr, Mac Version May Be in the Works

Titanfall, the multiplayer first-person shooter developed by Respawn Entertainment exclusively for Windows, Xbox 360, and Xbox One, may be coming to the Mac in the future.

In a post on Twitter last night (via Polygon), Respawn Entertainment co-founder Vince Zampella said the company is in talks with Mac game publisher Aspyr over possibly bringing Titanfall to Mac. "We are talking to Aspyr," he told a fan asking about a Mac version. "They should do it."

Back in February, Zampella expressed similar sentiments, telling fans that he would like to see a Mac version happen after the game launched for Xbox and PC on March 11.

In Titanfall, players fight in six-vs-six online multiplayer matches, controlling mech-style Titans and pilots to complete team-based objectives. The game won more than 60 awards when it was revealed at E3 and has received largely positive reviews.
Quote:
Crafted by one of the co-creators of Call of Duty and other key developers behind the Call of Duty franchise, Titanfall is among the most highly anticipated games of 2014, having been shrouded in mystery for nearly three years. The visionaries at Respawn have drawn inspiration from their proven experience in first-person action gaming, and are building on that pedigree by taking a new approach to game design and creating an all-new universe with Titanfall.
Aspyr has published multiple major gaming titles for the Mac, including Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, and more. There is no word on when a Mac version of Titanfall might be released.

Article Link: Titanfall Creators in Talks With Aspyr, Mac Version May Be in the Works
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:03 PM   #2
JerryCards
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to JerryCards
Anybody play this game before? Is it good?
JerryCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Icaras
macrumors 601

Bring it please!

However, isn't this an Origin exclusive title? I thought EA was adamant about distributing their games only through their service and not through anywhere else?

Would this be a new method where Aspyr makes the Mac version but EA keeps it on Origin?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:06 PM   #4
critter13
macrumors regular

credit for pc version

I bought the pc version and currently play it in bootcamp but obviously I would prefer a mac version. I wonder if I will be able to download the mac version for free since I purchased the pc version?

And yes this game is a blast to play, the movement is spectacular
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:09 PM   #5
davelanger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryCards View Post
Anybody play this game before? Is it good?
Its like COD WM with robots.

Its bare bones but its a great starting point. I hope they keep patching new stuff in.

I am playing on XB1
davelanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:10 PM   #6
nicroma
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post
Its like COD WM with robots.

Its bare bones but its a great starting point. I hope they keep patching new stuff in.

I am playing on XB1
I think it doesn't feel like Call of Duty. The pacing of the game feels different and refreshing.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Ayr
macrumors 6502

Have the PC version on Bootcamp, just waiting until tomorrow to be able to play (UK).

That said, if a Mac version comes, and by that I mean a proper job, not some half-assed port, then I would buy again, simply to support Mac gaming. There needs to be more of a push in this area.
Ayr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:15 PM   #8
chfilm
macrumors 6502a

Am playing it now under boot camp, it really is fun!! Having this under osx would definitely make me play it more frequently on the future!!
chfilm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Djtrackie
macrumors member

sure i believe that titan fall to mac, it'll probably take 4 years though
Djtrackie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:17 PM   #10
davelanger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicroma View Post
I think it doesn't feel like Call of Duty. The pacing of the game feels different and refreshing.
It feels like the infinity ward COD games when they were good. Not the crap COD games that have come out the last few years. But I agree the pacing is good, the maps are great and I love the robot play.

i just wish I was better when I am a pilot with just a gun ha.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:18 PM   #11
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter13 View Post
I bought the pc version and currently play it in bootcamp but obviously I would prefer a mac version. I wonder if I will be able to download the mac version for free since I purchased the pc version?

And yes this game is a blast to play, the movement is spectacular
If it's distrusted through Origin, then through their policy, then the Mac version should be free automatically. It was for my copy of Dragon Age ultimate.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:20 PM   #12
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post
COD WM
I assume you mean Modern Warfare, let me flip that for you.

(\□)\ WM
(╯□)╯︵ WM

Well... that didn't work.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:21 PM   #13
davelanger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post

(\□)\ WM
(╯□)╯︵ WM

Ha yes sorry. Modern warfare not wrestle mania . ha ha
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:23 PM   #14
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Great news, in my opinion. Mac gaming has been getting better and better over the last few years, much of which is thanks to Aspyr doing such a good job. It's great that many major titles are coming out either at the same time as on PC or not that long after. For example, Tomb Raider (2013) and Metro: Last Light run surprisingly well, and The Elder Scrolls Online has a brilliant native client ready for launch.

I finally ditched Boot Camp last year and I haven't had any desire to reinstall Windows. All the major games I want to play are either on Mac or PlayStation, which is perfect for me.

I know Aspyr has some staff who hang around the forums, so if you see this, thanks a lot for being the driving force behind Mac gaming!
MarcBook is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:26 PM   #15
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502

possibly blasphemy, but...

...what controllers do you all use?

I'm not a M+K fan for gaming. I would buy Titanfall on Mac if it could feel like a console experience.
willcapellaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:46 PM   #16
iLilana
macrumors 6502a

this is where gaming developers bug me.

Why is there a necessity to outsource a port? why can't they develop along side the main teams. This has been the sole reason mac gaming has never been taken seriously by apple or the gamers. Why make a community wait 6 months to a year to play a game everyone else is already finished playing? give the gamers a proper machine you can use for gaming at a reasonable price like a mac mini/pro format with gamers in mind? give the developers a reason to add Mac OS X the original release date.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:51 PM   #17
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:

(\□)\ WM
(╯□)╯︵ WM

Laughed way harder than I should have.
keysofanxiety is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:59 PM   #18
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
I've wondered about this too!

I assume it's simply a situation of the developers hired by the big firms not having any real experience coding for Mac? But surely they all had to learn how to code for the XBox and the Playstation as well as Windows PC. Mac OS X has been around a lot longer than even the last generation of consoles -- so it seems like it'd be worth learning to code on one.

Except for Blizzard though, almost nobody seems to seriously work at releasing for Mac and other platforms simultaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLilana View Post
Why is there a necessity to outsource a port? why can't they develop along side the main teams. This has been the sole reason mac gaming has never been taken seriously by apple or the gamers. Why make a community wait 6 months to a year to play a game everyone else is already finished playing? give the gamers a proper machine you can use for gaming at a reasonable price like a mac mini/pro format with gamers in mind? give the developers a reason to add Mac OS X the original release date.
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:59 PM   #19
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
However, isn't this an Origin exclusive title? I thought EA was adamant about distributing their games only through their service and not through anywhere else?

Would this be a new method where Aspyr makes the Mac version but EA keeps it on Origin?
They'd probably just release it on Origin for Mac. I don't know that this would be a new model or anything. EA publishes their own games and games developed by other companies. Titanfall by Aspyr would be a little of both.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:00 PM   #20
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by willcapellaro View Post
...what controllers do you all use?

I'm not a M+K fan for gaming. I would buy Titanfall on Mac if it could feel like a console experience.
Aspyr are usually quite good at adding controller support, and if you need support for a specific one, just take hold of them!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:10 PM   #21
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

I thought Microsoft locked up Titanfall as an exclusive for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 which is why it's not coming to PS3/PS4? It's interesting that they either never thought of excluding Mac in their contract or they are willing to relax it to allow a Mac version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLilana View Post
Besides the likelihood of lack of Mac experience, Respawn also has limited resources in general, which is why even the XBox 360 version was outsourced to Bluepoint Games.
commander.data is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:24 PM   #22
Janichsan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

Well, Origin is available for Mac, but having one of their games not ported in-house would really be something new.
Janichsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:25 PM   #23
gotluck
macrumors 68040

I wish apple cared about Mac gaming more. And made a computer with a gaming desktop card.

On current gen models it's: integrated gpu, mobile gpu, or workstation gpu that wasn't made for games.

iOS is the leader in mobile gaming too

Come on Apple!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:40 PM   #24
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:

(\□)\ WM
(╯□)╯︵ WM

Lmao
VanillaCracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:42 PM   #25
cylack
macrumors newbie

Mac gaming

What ever happened to Apple gaming? Growing up using an Apple iie and then a IIgs, gaming was great. Tons of new games came out. Then in the 90s on it seemed gaming died on Apple pc's. I think Jobs felt gaming was silly. I hope Tim Cook realizes its a great market to serve and makes gaming a priority. I want to see..gasp..Mac exclusive games (remember Marathon?), not crappy Cider ports.
cylack is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion