Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

South Carolina-based accessory maker Twelve South has introduced a new version of its popular BookBook MacBook case called the Rutledge. Though it has the same basic design as previous BookBook for MacBook cases, the company is proud of a new leather coloring technique that it developed that involves adding and removing color multiple times to enhance the natural look of the leather.

It's so unique that the company's leather expert didn't think it could be done when they began developing the process. Also new is a case specifically designed for the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, which is 7% smaller than it's non-Retina brother. Twelve South is introducing a new version of the classic BookBook to fit that machine as well.

rutledgebookbook.jpg
BookBook Rutledge Edition is the most distinctive version of our unique BookBook family. The Rutledge is tailored from premium leather and each mesmerizing cover is a unique work of art. No two look exactly alike. Like our other BookBook models, this beauty features two hardback covers, a rigid spine and a velvety soft padded interior to protect your MacBook. While the case protects your MacBook, the design protects your unique sense of style. The Rutledge Edition is available for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
The Rutledge ($100), made in India, is aimed at a slightly more premium market than the standard BookBook ($80). It is available from Twelve South's website in four different sizes for the 11" MacBook Air, the 13" MacBook Air/Pro, the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina, and the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina.

Article Link: Twelve South Introduces 'Rutledge' BookBook With New Leather Coloring Technique

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Might just be me, but that looks like it would be amazing at dissipating heat...

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
I bought one of these once. I thought it was a real book, returned it to the library, and now I don't have a mac anymore :(

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I can not wrap my mind around how people ever think this or any other BookBook look good. They are just so tacky IMO.

JerryCards

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Richmond, VA
I generally do not like those cases. Part of the reason I buy macbook is because its beautiful looks. Why I spend extra money to cover it?

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
I generally do not like those cases. Part of the reason I buy macbook is because its beautiful looks. Why I spend extra money to cover it?

For the protection. Actually, I have one of these for my ipad 4 largely because it offers amazing full body protection, and unlike most cases, doesn't look like crap. If you're going to have a case that hides the ipads look, might as well make it a good looking one.

Thanks OP, I'll have to check this out, since I'll likely he getting a pro retina 13 inch soon

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
As much as I like the look of Apple products, I don't consider them works of art to be placed on a pedestal, so that one can brag to others about his or her precious work of art.

Apple products are high priced tools that we are supposed to use, not fawn over as if they were aluminum Monets.

Nothing wrong with using covers to protect your tool(s).

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
There is clearly a market for these things, but personal I think they are just awful.
I do have a case for transporting but my MBP lives out the case whenever it's not in my bag.
To each their own I guess.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Looks super cool, but I don't see the point. Most of the time when I'm going anywhere with a laptop, it's in a padded section of my backpack made with the express purpose of protecting laptops in mind. But I guess if I ever decided I didn't want to take a backpack everywhere with me anymore but instead carry my MacBook under my arm or something (sounds weird and inconvenient) then I'd probably put this cover on it.

My iPhone 4S has a cover on its back, which looks exactly like the back of the iPhone 4S. Why? Because i dropped the phone a year ago and shattered the back glass - the faux back keeps the real back from getting glass in my hand when I hold it (and the fake back was $1 whereas replacing the glass would cost at least $50 I'm sure).

13astion

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
Safety cover ... but from thieves!

Consider this:

You leave your home. You wish to leave your computer at home. You don't have a computer safe. What do you do?

Put the computer in this book, and put it on the shelf. Done and done.

All kidding aside, I was recently robbed and had 3 MacBooks stolen. I should have had a safe. But barring that, it would have been awesome to have hidden them on the bookshelf rather than sitting on my desk where they were even visible from outside.

:(

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Twelve South has a great lineup of products; I first tried the book book for iPhone 4S. Then I got one for the MacBook, then for the iPad, and the latest was for the iPhone 5C. It's a magnificent product.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
To each his/her own. IMO I like it. I have a bookbook for my iPhone 5 and it's versatile as it doubles as a limited capacity wallet (driver's license, 3-4 cards and folded bills). Quite handy.

binaryskies

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Washington DC
Looks super cool, but I don't see the point. Most of the time when I'm going anywhere with a laptop, it's in a padded section of my backpack made with the express purpose of protecting laptops in mind. But I guess if I ever decided I didn't want to take a backpack everywhere with me anymore but instead carry my MacBook under my arm or something (sounds weird and inconvenient) then I'd probably put this cover on it.

My iPhone 4S has a cover on its back, which looks exactly like the back of the iPhone 4S. Why? Because i dropped the phone a year ago and shattered the back glass - the faux back keeps the real back from getting glass in my hand when I hold it (and the fake back was $1 whereas replacing the glass would cost at least $50 I'm sure).

Replacing the back glass for the 4S costs around $29 dollars. It may be a little less tho, I haven't had to do paperwork for that exact part in a long time.

When it comes to protecting my 13" MBPretina I use the Brenthaven BXII. It has a handle on the side so it's easy and secure to carry along with several other unique features to help protect your MBPretina. It won't break the bank either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 179

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I have one for my iPad, but even I think that marketing spiel is over the top. "Protect your unique sense of style"? As though Starbucks-dwelling hipsters needed another excuse for their pretentiousness.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I have one for my MBA and regarding protection... MBA was in BookBook case + backpack laptop compartment... Dropped my backpack from around 50cm to the ground... MBA got bumped, BookBook zipper ruined...

Ragnar51

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2013
Milford CT USA
I Kinda Like It

For me it's about the looks. I've got one for my iPhone and while it's not as convenient as having it clipped to my belt and I'll probably wind up losing the darn phone by leaving it somewhere, to me it's a nice looking accessory although I don't think I'd run the computer for long while it was in there. YMMV

Kevin in CT

delnerdo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
Clearly this forum needs more trolls and haters.
Here's something to grumble about...

I use the BookBook on a 15" rMBP.
It gets more complements than anything else I can name, including my charming and intelligent Jack Russell Terriers.

It was protecting that rMBP in my padded backpack's computer sleeve when I wiped out on my newly built road bike last spring. (Cornering too fast, another story for another forum.) If it had not been in the thick leather case, the new machine would have been damaged.

I can hear the cooling fan fire up when crunching large data sets, but the side vents receive ample ventilation and are not blocked by the case zips.

Also, one of the elastic straps that attach it to the display gave out within the warranty period. TwelveSouth replaced it, with free postage and return shipping, and no questions.

The new finish looks great. Also the binding seems to have a proper section of spine, which is lacking in the BookBook classic, as more of a rounded hinge.

Why don't you trolls go update your fb status to 'out of the gene pool'?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.