Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After debuting a range of playful iPhone 5c ads on Tumblr in early March, Apple has expanded its campaign to the The New York Times and the front page of Yahoo.com. The Yahoo homepage currently features an ad block on the right side hand of the page that houses eight different iPhone 5c ads with the tagline "Find your colors."

Each ad features a short animation, mirroring some of the original Tumblr ads. There's a spot called "Catwalk," for example, which features a series of lens flashes, "Baaaa," which mimics a herd of sheep, and "99 Luftballoons," which offers floating red dots with music from the popular song.

appleiphone5c.jpg
In each video, a series of dots are depicted in different arrangements that eventually come into line as the same dots on the back of the iPhone 5c case, which then zoom out to show the full iPhone 5c. Apple has approximately 17 different animated iPhone 5c ads that are being displayed on the web, both on Yahoo's properties and on The New York Times site earlier this week.

According to a Times representative, Apple's grid-based ad was a customized format offering "a transparent overlay to depict a rich brand experience" that was indeed designed by the company though it featured a Sprint logo.

Apple has aggressively advertised the iPhone 5c since its release, but the move to social media sites like Tumblr is new territory for the company, which typically sticks to billboards, television commercials, and other types of traditional advertising formats. Web ads are not new for the company, however, as Apple has recently shown its Your Verse ads on a range of websites.

It appears that the campaign on the Times website may have ended, but it is likely that Apple will expand the animated advertisements to other websites as well in an effort to further market the iPhone 5c to a wide range of consumers.

During the company's Q1 2014 earnings call, Apple revealed it had seen lower than expected sales of the iPhone 5c due to high demand for the flagship iPhone 5s. Some reports indicated that the iPhone 5s was outselling the iPhone 5c by a two-to-one margin and Apple scaled back production of the mid-tier phone shortly after launch.

Article Link: Apple Expands Animated iPhone 5c Ads Beyond Tumblr

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
they seems to be spending a lot of money on advertising the 5c. The ads are everywhere in NYC.

It doesn't seem that the rumors of them killing it off after this cycle are true.

Last edited:

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
dreadful ads. gets me thinking about playing 4 in a row or match the dots though

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
As little as I care about the 5C, I do like how these little ads are like snippets of old iPod commercials except with dots. The users are anonymous and could be any of us, and the environments are vague yet familiar.

Last edited:

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Still pushing that dreadful case?

The 5C is a nice phone - but a shoddy price point.

Plastic iPhone 5 @ iPhone 5 prices. Ridiculous.

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
There's a big problem with "Find Your Colors"…
…and that is that none of the colors Apple / Jony picked are anything close to the colors I like, at all.

Here's my counterproposal for colors I came up with a few months ago:
boldColorsNotPalePastels2-small.jpg

Come out with these, and the phones will sell themselves. I'd pick up a blue one, personally….

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
But I thought the iPhone 5c was going to sell well!

Wahhhhh!

Lol I called it

iPhone 5c was a mistake

The 5C is the second best seller on 2/4 of the major US carriers behind the 5S. On the other two it's third behind the GS4.

The 5C is selling just fine. If they didn't see any benefit to the added marketing they wouldn't do it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
My mom has a green 5c and its nice and all but the 5s is so much nicer it's obvious why people pick that phone.

Quite honestly I think the 5C feels nicer in the hand than the 5S. I won't be surprised if the new iPhone takes cues from the 5C and/or iPod touch. Of course the flagship won't be plastic but I bet the boxy design is gone.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
But the rumor mill says the 5C is being canned. :confused:
The rumour mill says a lot of crap. That's the same mill that said Apple would die if they didn't make a netook in 2009.

The truth is we don't have any data that shows how the 5C is viewed internally by Apple management. Apple has grown sales while keeping the average selling price and margin steady, unlike Samsung and others. The 5C is a big part of that and Apple is likely happy about it. It is also possible that the 5C was a "forward looking" device and that Apple plans to use it at lower and lower price points in the coming years- like the iPhone 4 is today- but better.

We won't know Apple's plan for the 5C until September, but until then we can enjoy the wisdom of fools.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But I thought the iPhone 5c was going to sell well!

Wahhhhh!

Lol I called it

iPhone 5c was a mistake

I see ads for the iPad Air on The Verge. Does that mean it's a flop too? Then I guess that means Samsung Galaxy products are huge flops because I see advertising for them everywhere. :D

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I don't like these ads. They're not compelling and they leave me asking, "Why? Why would I want this product now that I've seen these ads?" I'm obviously in the wrong target demographic for these spots. No pun intended.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
The 5C is the second best seller on 2/4 of the major US carriers behind the 5S. On the other two it's third behind the GS4.

The 5C is selling just fine. If they didn't see any benefit to the added marketing they wouldn't do it.

It's not to expectations

I will bet things will be different for the next round

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.