Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hello everyone, I was looking into the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2. I have heard mixed reviews on LaCies, Drobos, and G-Techs but hardly anything on this OWC Enclosure.

My plan is to have it in RAID 0 and backed up to another set of drives.

I intend to buy two 4tb Drives and eventually add onto it (each time I add on, I am aware that it will have to reformat so I plan to load from a backup each time.)

I eventually plan to have 16tb of storage that will be used for recording music, editing videos, holding an iTunes Library as well as being on 24/7 with my Late 2013 iMac that is a home server, holding an iPhoto Library, hold all of my documents for school, etc.

My only concern its speed. Since it now has USB 3.0 (older models only supported up to USB 2.0) and I was wanting to get thunderbolt speeds.

It is rumored that this will eventually support Thunderbolt but I don't want to wait around for it.

My other options are getting eSATA to Thunderbolt hub from LaCie (which would still keep me at eSATA speeds, right?). Or a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter.

I was hoping to be able to Daisy Chain. Multiple Thunderbolt devices but perhaps today is not the day for that.

Do you guys think that it is worth the money and the speeds will be reasonable at USB 3.0 or any of the other options given?

Thank you.

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
Hello everyone, I was looking into the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2. I have heard mixed reviews on LaCies, Drobos, and G-Techs but hardly anything on this OWC Enclosure.

My plan is to have it in RAID 0 and backed up to another set of drives.

I intend to buy two 4tb Drives and eventually add onto it (each time I add on, I am aware that it will have to reformat so I plan to load from a backup each time.)

I eventually plan to have 16tb of storage that will be used for recording music, editing videos, holding an iTunes Library as well as being on 24/7 with my Late 2013 iMac that is a home server, holding an iPhoto Library, hold all of my documents for school, etc.

My only concern its speed. Since it now has USB 3.0 (older models only supported up to USB 2.0) and I was wanting to get thunderbolt speeds.

It is rumored that this will eventually support Thunderbolt but I don't want to wait around for it.

My other options are getting eSATA to Thunderbolt hub from LaCie (which would still keep me at eSATA speeds, right?). Or a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter.

I was hoping to be able to Daisy Chain. Multiple Thunderbolt devices but perhaps today is not the day for that.

Do you guys think that it is worth the money and the speeds will be reasonable at USB 3.0 or any of the other options given?

Thank you.

i have the Qx2 from 2010 and it runs great. i am using eStata to TB via the Lacie hub. speeds about the same as USB3 so i wouldn't worry about TB. The mechanical drives spin the same, so that determines most speeds except SSD of course. i do not like what i have read about the drobo but i like the look :) ..there are a lot of folks like the PROMISE Pegasus in these forums. never saw one but search these forums, lot written about them.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I just got a qx2 and it is LOUD! I guess it is all relative but it makes my formerly quiet home office (Mac mini, WD MyBook, G-Tech G-Drive, Dell laptop) too loud for me. I know some of the noise is the drives but certainly not all. I'll probably pull out all of the drives just to see how loud it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.