Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:53 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 8 May Streamline Notification Center, Remove Game Center App, and More

Besides adding new Healthbook, TextEdit and Preview apps, Apple may also change existing pre-bundled applications in iOS 8, claims 9to5Mac. Apps slated for improvement include Notification Center, Voice Memos, Messages, Game Center and CarPlay.

Apple may be simplifying existing apps like Notification Center, doing away with the "All" and "Missed" views and combing them into one "Notifications" view. The new Notification Center will contain "Today" and "Notifications" views, making it easier for users to keep track of items that are immediately important. Voice Memos also will see a redesign with controls that distinguish between recording and playback functions.

Messaging may be tweaked with an optional auto-delete function that will remove older messages after a certain amount of time. This new feature would be useful for iOS owners who have older devices with less storage space and prefer not to use that valuable space to store old messages.

Apple also may remove Game Center as a standalone app from both iOS and OS X, opting instead to embed the functionality into games that support the social gaming service. The company also is considering improving inter-app communication by creating a new API that allows apps to share data.
Quote:
For example, a future photo editing application could have the ability to push the edited content for upload via the Instagram or Facebook apps. The debut of the API has been in development for the past couple of years, and it had been removed from the launch version of iOS 7 last year for unspecified reasons. With that in mind, it is plausible that Apple could, again, choose to hold back the functionality.
As hinted by Volvo, CarPlay may be updated to support WiFi connections instead of relying on the lightning cable to link an iOS device to the car's in-dash system. Also expected are underlying improvements that boost the performance of iOS 8.
Quote:
In addition to the in-app tweaks, Apple has been working to speed up iOS 8 in comparison to iOS 7. Applications are said to launch more quickly, close more quickly, and overall system navigation is said to feel much smoother and more stable. Apple sped up animations and improved stability in the recent release of iOS 7.1, but the enhancements in iOS 8 are said to go a bit further.
From these early iOS 8 rumors, Apple appears to focusing on the overall iOS experience by improving key apps like Maps, Siri and Notification Center and speeding up performance of the operating system. The company is expected to unveil iOS 8 at WWDC later this year, with a release possible this fall.

Article Link: iOS 8 May Streamline Notification Center, Remove Game Center App, and More
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:54 AM   #2
lifeisepic
macrumors newbie

Oh look it's the photoshop again...
lifeisepic is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:55 AM   #3
vista980622
macrumors member

A copy-and-paste version of the exact same story on Macrumors shortly after being posted on 9to5Mac, again!
vista980622 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Lets hope no more bugs.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:57 AM   #5
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

For me personally id like to see sort of a quick reply for messages as well as a system wide "night mode" that uses darker colours over the bright whites in iOS 7
irfaanfaki is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:57 AM   #6
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Don't kill me for asking, but what's the purpose of TextEdit now that Pages is free and we've had Notes since forever? I never use it on the Mac.
KieranDotW is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:57 AM   #7
anyjungleinguy
macrumors member

Stick Control Center where the Missed section is and use swipe up to get to multitasking. Double tapping the home button is archaic and not at all fluid.
anyjungleinguy is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

"From these early iOS 8 rumors, Apple appears to focusing on the overall experience by improving key apps like Maps, Siri and Notification Center and speeding up performance of the OS."

I would like it if it was something along the lines of under-the-hood improvements like what they did with OS X Snow Leopard.

But I guess other people would desire more than that.
Beeplance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:57 AM   #9
musika
macrumors 65816

Gosh, I hope so about the Notification Center stuff.

Notification Center has never made sense. For instance, if you clear a notification in the pulldown, the app still has a badge. Also, what's up with the Missing tab?

It's probably the most tacked on feature of iOS, and I'd love to see them fix it.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:58 AM   #10
Corrode
macrumors 6502

I never use the All vs. Missed panes so eliminating them seems to make sense as I never saw a use for separating them.

One thing I'd like to see: give me the friggin current temperature in Notification Centre instead of the high and low for the day. Is that so hard??
Corrode is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:59 AM   #11
Haynzee
macrumors member

Can anyone tell me why Preview would be a good app to have? Isn't it just a photo viewer??

Note: I have just woke up so I might be loosing the plot.
Haynzee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:00 AM   #12
musika
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The company also is considering improving inter-app communication by creating a new API that allows apps to share data.
I hope they're doing more than just considering it by now.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

The inter app communication sounds awesome if it's true
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:01 AM   #14
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynzee View Post
Can anyone tell me why Preview would be a good app to have? Isn't it just a photo viewer??

PDFs can be viewed in Preview. On OSX it has PDF editing tools, but it may not on iOS (Hope it does though).
cmChimera is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Haynzee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musika View Post
I hope they're doing more than just considering it by now.
DOesn't iBooks show PDFs though. I just know on my Mac I never use Preview or Textedit for that matter.
Haynzee is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:02 AM   #16
musika
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Voice Memos also will see a redesign with controls that distinguish between recording and playback functions.
Can they redesign that icon while they're at it?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Number-Six
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Preview could also be used to view PDFs, or any type of text document
Number-Six is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:04 AM   #18
spiffers
macrumors member

These screenshots are totally bogus. We already have Notes and Pages on all devices, a third text app will never be released by Apple. Preview? Anybody could make a screenshot like this using Pixelmator or Photoshop...
spiffers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:07 AM   #19
wiz329
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
Don't kill me for asking, but what's the purpose of TextEdit now that Pages is free and we've had Notes since forever? I never use it on the Mac.
I use TextEdit on my Mac more than either Pages or MS Word.

It's incredibly useful for when I just need to make a short list, or I want to type up something (with a LITTLE formatting at least -- something Notes doesn't provide). Especially since it opens up so much faster than Pages, even with an SSD -- important when you're trying to make a note of something really quickly, like if you're on the phone or something.

I suppose notes could probably fulfill that functionality for me, but I prefer to be able to save documents wherever I want, instead of being strongarmed by Apple into throwing them all into an indiscriminant pile. Also, notes always used to be so ugly -- the yellow notepad paper was hard to work with.
wiz329 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:07 AM   #20
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
textedit has the option to remove special formatting?
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:07 AM   #21
aduteau
macrumors 6502

why not be able to dismiss individual notifications with a swipe, and be able to do a quick reply to text or email from within the notification like on Mac OS X ???

Why is it so hard to have both work the same in some area that make sense when its the same team that Craig has working on this !!???
aduteau is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:08 AM   #22
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not at all. I wondered the same thing.
BornAgainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:08 AM   #23
carfac
macrumors 65816

It would be nice for the USER to get rid of any app they want to.... nice to see stupid game center going away, that was useless. I would love to get rid of other buklshit apps like Passbook (which does NOTHING!), Stocks, newsstand and Apple Maps

While we're at it, refresh the icons so they are pretty again....
carfac is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:08 AM   #24
wiz329
macrumors 6502

Quote:
DOesn't iBooks show PDFs though. I just know on my Mac I never use Preview or Textedit for that matter.
I use both, about as much or more as Safari or Mail.
wiz329 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:08 AM   #25
ionjohn
macrumors 6502a

I just want them to get rid of the current dock
ionjohn is online now   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion