Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:08 AM   #26
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number-Six View Post
Preview could also be used to view PDFs, or any type of text document
Yes, but we can already view this with native apps like Mail, Safari, etc..

Unless Apple is letting you store PDF's locally on your phone instead of in iBooks. Then Preview would make sense.

TextEdit would be great so I can copy and paste (unformatted text) into a SSH app.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:10 AM   #27
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisepic View Post
Oh look it's the photoshop again...
Mark Gurman at 9to5Mac actually has an incredibly strong track record when it comes to these types of rumors. Either way, these icons are likely a work in progress.
dannyyankou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:12 AM   #28
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Ios8 seems like the snow leopard for mobile. Lots of improvements coming.

They need quick replies on the notification center IMO. Take some pointers from the jailbreak community.
jonnysods is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:12 AM   #29
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

• Fixing the notification center - good.
  • Killing Game Center - probably bad, but only if they were going to actually fix it (make it visually fit the OS, make social gaming on it actually work, make
  • Sharing info between apps - has been needed since iOS2. And just think, third party apps could use such an interface to completely lock out Apple Maps in favour of the user's choice. Not enough though.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:13 AM   #30
aduteau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz329 View Post
I use TextEdit on my Mac more than either Pages or MS Word.

It's incredibly useful for when I just need to make a short list, or I want to type up something (with a LITTLE formatting at least -- something Notes doesn't provide). Especially since it opens up so much faster than Pages, even with an SSD -- important when you're trying to make a note of something really quickly, like if you're on the phone or something.

I suppose notes could probably fulfill that functionality for me, but I prefer to be able to save documents wherever I want, instead of being strongarmed by Apple into throwing them all into an indiscriminant pile. Also, notes always used to be so ugly -- the yellow notepad paper was hard to work with.
Seriously .... why doesnt apple just add text formating to Notes and kill the yellow background instead of adding yet an other app that does almost the same ??
aduteau is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:13 AM   #31
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Lets hope no more bugs.
Software will always have bugs. It's impossible to create perfect flawless software.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:13 AM   #32
musika
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionjohn View Post
I just want them to get rid of the current dock
Me too. I think it looks awful.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:13 AM   #33
technopimp
macrumors 6502a

I know I sound like a curmudgeon, but really, they JUST put out 7.1, which still has issues and doesn't really work like I know a lot of people wish it would. Can't they just take a year "off" and improve upon all the missteps of 7 and wait until putting out an entirely new major version (which, in true Apple fashion, will be rife with an entirely new set of bugs and annoyances)?

Same for OS X. Every new release breaks something that worked perfectly in the version before it, and it takes the entire life cycle to fix only to be broken again in the next major release. (Hint hint-still can't swipe to navigate Finder in Mavericks).
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:14 AM   #34
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Android's swipe down Notification is excellent, just basically copy it.

It's cool and can control whatever is active. Very useful. Same on iOS 8 would make sense.
JaySoul is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:14 AM   #35
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
Don't kill me for asking, but what's the purpose of TextEdit now that Pages is free and we've had Notes since forever? I never use it on the Mac.
I had the same thought.. Do we really need both Notes and TextEdit on an iOS device?

I use SimpleNote on all of my MacOS and iOS devices.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:14 AM   #36
aduteau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfac View Post
It would be nice for the USER to get rid of any app they want to.... nice to see stupid game center going away, that was useless. I would love to get rid of other buklshit apps like Passbook (which does NOTHING!), Stocks, newsstand and Apple Maps

While we're at it, refresh the icons so they are pretty again....
im sorry this will never happen !
aduteau is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:15 AM   #37
mbarriault
macrumors regular

I would actually like to see them use the Game Center app more, namely allow me to not show any games as app icons, and instead use Game Center to list and launch them in the same way Newsstand does now.
mbarriault is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:18 AM   #38
Bbafett
macrumors regular

Please give us quick reply in ios 8. Number one reason why I still jailbreak. So crazy that Apple hasn't put this in ios but in osx.
Bbafett is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:19 AM   #39
Z8beema
macrumors 6502

If they were to take away the Game Center standalone app and instill a small part of it on every game would that not take up a lot more space then the game center app alone? Thus taking away more space for the consumer?
Z8beema is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:20 AM   #40
CDew
macrumors newbie

Why Cant We Set Alerts for Individual Calendars?

It's amazing to me that Apple still won't allow us to set alerts for each calendar individually. The current all-or-none model for shared calendar alerts is pathetic.

Does Apple not get that in a house with a His, Hers and House calendar that we may not want to get our spouses alerts?
CDew is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:20 AM   #41
aduteau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbafett View Post
Please give us quick reply in ios 8. Number one reason why I still jailbreak. So crazy that Apple hasn't put this in ios but in osx.
Exactly what I was thinking !!! Arent iOS and OS X teams working togeter now ? why they miss things like that is beyond me ...
aduteau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:21 AM   #42
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post
I would actually like to see them use the Game Center app more, namely allow me to not show any games as app icons, and instead use Game Center to list and launch them in the same way Newsstand does now.
I support this. Though the addition of unlimited folders has weakened the utility of this solution slightly.
cmChimera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:22 AM   #43
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Haha, a comment on 9to5Mac wondered how long it would take MacRumors to copy/paste this article over here. I'd love it if MacRumors had their own scoops once in a while.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:24 AM   #44
ionjohn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by musika View Post
Me too. I think it looks awful.
The dock is like iOS 7's ugliest design ain't it?!
ionjohn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:24 AM   #45
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz329 View Post
I use TextEdit on my Mac more than either Pages or MS Word.

It's incredibly useful for when I just need to make a short list, or I want to type up something (with a LITTLE formatting at least -- something Notes doesn't provide). Especially since it opens up so much faster than Pages, even with an SSD -- important when you're trying to make a note of something really quickly, like if you're on the phone or something.
Press command-T on your keyboard. Notes suddenly has formatting!
seble is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 AM   #46
Small White Car
macrumors G4

But without Game Center how will I see all the names of people who scored 43,635,236,234,235,654,324 points on the first level of Angry Birds?

Small White Car is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:29 AM   #47
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
Don't kill me for asking, but what's the purpose of TextEdit now that Pages is free and we've had Notes since forever? I never use it on the Mac.
Maybe TextEdit is some kind of new notes? Something like Evernote or Onenote?
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:30 AM   #48
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

I hope to see some major fixes in iOS8. I want to come back to iOS and the iPhone but can't just give up on usability and functionality.

Notification center was one of the few features I am glad they ripped from Android and at the time it was better. Now it, and the control center at the bottom, are just terrible.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:30 AM   #49
acslater017
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like solid, reasonable moves. I'm a fan of 90% of what iOS 7 did - especially with 7.1 - but Notification Center was just poorly done. It essentially becomes a second inbox to triage and clear. I still have notifications that are extremely irrelevant. Oh great, Dark Sky told me it was going to drizzle 2 days ago.

Hopefully Today view becomes a bit more Google Nowish, and "All" view learns to clean up after itself or be more relevant.
acslater017 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:30 AM   #50
musio
macrumors 68000

Apple may be simplifying existing apps like Notification Center, doing away with the "All" and "Missed" views and combing them into one “Notifications” view. The new Notification Center will contain "Today" and "Notifications" views, making it easier for users to keep track of items that are immediately important. Voice Memos also will see a redesign with controls that distinguish between recording and playback functions.

So they are going to make iOS 7 like iOS6 and do away with the complications that iOS 7 brought? Good.
musio is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion