Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
So they finally went live (open beta is done) with the Mac "port" of Star Trek Online.

Of course I'm moderately interested (anything ST or SW), but since this is announced to be a Cider port, I'm a little skeptical about performance issues. Provided that they cleaned out as many bugs as possible during Mac beta, does anyone know if Cider ports (wrapper) can perform reasonably well? Examples please.

My rig is a maxed-out iMac late 2012, maxed out CPU possible the quad-core i7, 512MB nVidia card (that was the best possible for the iMac 21" at the time), and maxed out RAM 16GB, and SSD drive.

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3037203-sto-mac-is-officially-live_

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
your view of the performance will vary by how picky you are.

Example:

Eve online is a port, cider iirc. It works well enough.

Now I know of some users who will state if they iron out wine installations or bootcamp it Eve runs better or at least does not have the fans on a say mbp run full speed full time.

Other performance aspects being an mmo well...ymmv depending on how you like to pump it up. I know from a few mmo's even on a native windows box I turned down some settings to help fend off lag as best I could.

So I tend to be a more forgiving critic in this area...I turned down windows settings anyway so I do not ding mac ports for it to be fair. Unless I have to make it so OG 8 bit nintendo games look better at any rate lol.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Interesting view, thanks for the input.

Personally my expectation is something like "as long as it runs relatively smooth enough, FPS-wise, so that the graphics motion is fluid most of the time, that I don't even realize it's a non-native port. On moderately-high settings.".

I don't like being forced to dumb down graphics settings to "middle of the road" or lower since IMHO I'd lose a lot of the beauty that the game has to offer originally. Then again I don't always need to "max out" the game's graphics settings either. Moderately-high is a good balance.

(P.S. — I use an iMac with SSD it's so whisper quiet, I don't think I have ever heard the fan at all in over a year).

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I've been using the beta for a week or so, i've wanted to play STO on my mac for ages, the gameplay is good - although still on the initial PVE missions, the only downside is the actual graphics during gameplay, now i have a fibre broadband and world of warcraft ran really well at full spec - was not expecting graphics near this - it looks kind of pixellated and blurred, the HUD and other display elements look ok it's just what is seen through my 'window' to the game looks poor. Saying that i havent tried the non-beta version yet, so fingers crossed.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Try it and see if it runs good enough for you.... it wont cost anything to try it out.

I've been using the beta for a week or so, i've wanted to play STO on my mac for ages, the gameplay is good - although still on the initial PVE missions, the only downside is the actual graphics during gameplay, now i have a fibre broadband and world of warcraft ran really well at full spec - was not expecting graphics near this - it looks kind of pixellated and blurred, the HUD and other display elements look ok it's just what is seen through my 'window' to the game looks poor. Saying that i havent tried the non-beta version yet, so fingers crossed.
Did you turn half resolution on? it runs everything but the UI at half and looks very pixelated at lower resolutions, but makes it run much faster.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Did you turn half resolution on? it runs everything but the UI at half and looks very pixelated at lower resolutions, but makes it run much faster.
Wow. I think the last time I've seen such an option was in the early 1990s... o_O

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Wow. I think the last time I've seen such an option was in the early 1990s... o_O

its a great option... lets many more computers run the game, opening up the potential user base. I've seen the option in other games too though... called different things.. like render scaling, but often more hidden. STO (and CO) just have a quick 50% scale option to set it at half.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Started playing a few weeks ago. It's been quite fun until I get exploration missions Nebulas such as the Afehirr Nebula.

This (see pic) starts happening when I enter a system with asteroids. Not all the time but fairly frequently. This is in the PI KAPPA system. That's what happens to the asteroids when I am looking at them.

This hasn't happened in regular missions. Just in the exploration missions so far.

Attachments

• STO graphic glitch.jpg
    STO graphic glitch.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 391

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I found that STO ran better in OSX than in Win7 via bootcamp on my 2011 Mac Mini. That surprised me quite a bit.

I haven't had any issues so far.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Started playing a few weeks ago. It's been quite fun until I get exploration missions Nebulas such as the Afehirr Nebula.

This (see pic) starts happening when I enter a system with asteroids. Not all the time but fairly frequently. This is in the PI KAPPA system. That's what happens to the asteroids when I am looking at them.

This hasn't happened in regular missions. Just in the exploration missions so far.

The asteroids turn into a wall? Is this game space based or space and planet based and is there a subscription?

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
The asteroids turn into a wall? Is this game space based or space and planet based and is there a subscription?

you have a outside view of your ship when in space... for battles and such. You also have a character view of your person and bridge crew when doing character level things, like beaming down to planets.

Its a normal F2P game... you can do all the basic stuff free, but lots of stuff in the store people want to buy... to make money.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

It's space and planet based. No subscription, but I found the game barely tolerable, even when playing with IRL friends over Skype. The space combat is cool for a little while until you realize it's repetitive and has no depth. But it's free, so it's worth a shot at least. It just wasn't for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.