Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
I don't get why people say they're gimmicks. They're useful. You may not use all the features but a lot of them are useful. Siri is a gimmick too. So is panorama on iOS. So is passbook.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
If you have a bunch of DRM music through iTunes and want to stay legal, get iTunes Match for the year. It's $25, but it should allow you to then download all of that music DRM free. Just a suggestion since people have been mentioning all this drm stuff.

As suggested above, subscribe to iTunes Match and redownload any DRM-protected music. No music sold on iTunes in the last several years is DRM protected.

Unless i'm mistaken, he can simply redownload the songs he's bought in iTunes. No need for iTunes Match.

andrews04

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Thanks, it helped me to transfer data from my iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S4 without hassle. I wish I could transfer iPhone apps too.

I'm glad I could help. I don't think you can transfer apps from your iPhone to Android.

ea9

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I bought a Nexus 4 for my US travels (Tmobile, prior to iphone 5 announcement) and it's been nothing but stellar.

There's pluses and minuses to either phone but the Nexus device really is a gem to play and work with. Coming from iPhone 4/4s/5 I seem to be using the nexus more then my iphone in the last several months.

Drawbacks of Jelly Bean/Nexus for me have been, in no particular order,

Lack of iMessage, Screen and Camera are not as good (take into consideration it's half the price), Camera software sucks.
As a phone, the iPhone is the clear winner.
Doesn't have airplay and a good 'remote' app :(

Pro's,

Multi tasking, the app switcher is superb and fast.
Sending a picture from the gallery to pretty much every app is great.
Widgets (only the email and SMS one's) are very useful, I don't need to go in and out of these two apps for no reason or just to see a 'k' reply.
Great integration of Google Now, really one amazing piece of software which I initially dismissed because of how useless Siri was. Too bad the iOS version lacks very far behind.
Larger screen, say what you will, for me, faster typing (not to mention swype), pictures websites and apps just look better on a bigger screen.
Nexus so updates are quick (obviously doesn't apply to touchwiz S4)

That said, if I had to keep one for the rest of my life it would be the iPhone, but with only a few fixes, especially the phone/camera aspect of the nexus I might convert full time :eek:

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Forget the S4. Had one, hated it. Even I migrated to Android after 6 years of Apple...but the best candidate in Android right now is the HTC One. The phone is awesome and their Android version is slick and not bloated like the S4. A simple example, when you boot the S4, it already takes about 1.2GB of the available RAM! The HTC One on the other hand leaves about 1.5GB to the user to use. Plus I really like most of the aesthetics on Sense 5 in HTC. Not too colorful and toy'ish like the S4. The battery life on the One is superb (better than my 4S)..with the 4s I had to charge everyday before I slept but on the One, I still have 60% juice when I goto sleep. The only thing I miss in the One is Airplay

mr-nick

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
As always, it turned into a holy war against android :)
Topic starter asked how to get his media from his iPhone and I suggest using PhoneStick, it lets you get any files in and out as if it was a flash drive. Google gives only cnet download for some reason, you can download it for free from developers's website: http://softorino.com/products/

katiecollins333

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
What exactly does the galaxy s4 have that you can't do with an iPhone?
I'd like to preface this list with the fact that I am a cell phone sales rep for Verizon and get asked this question every day.

THINGS THAT THE GALAXY S4 CAN DO THAT IPHONE 5 CANNOT:

- multi-task - the S4 has a split-screen setting on it so you can yave two things open at once
- Play your videos wirelessly on your home tv - there's an IR blaster built into the phone that allows you to use your phone as a remote for your tv and wirelessly watch anything you can on your phone on your big screen
- Expand your memory - the S4 (which already comes standard at twice the memory of a standard iphone 5) is SD card compatible and can handle up to 64gb of external storage
- Externally download - the S4 isn't confined to Apple's strict regulations and therefore is able to download free content directly from websites instead of having to pay for it through iTunes
- Operate independently from a computer software - Never will you ever see "connect to iTunes" or to any computer for that matter! The S4 is a completely independent device that will NEVER need to be plugged in to a computer to perform properly.
- Do everything faster - the S4 has a quad-core processor (as opposed to the dual core in the i5) so all of your processing needs will get done twice as fast
- Kick ass in Consumer Reports - the S3 (the phone a generation BEHIND the s4) was rated the number one phone in America in consumer reports for 2012, on that same list? The iphone 5.... in FIFTH place.
- Charge in more places - the S4 has the universal charging port that has been standard amongst all phones manufactured in the last two years, the iphone 5 is the only phone to have its specific charging port ever.
- Display things better - not only does it boast a true 5-inch screen, but the screen resolution alone blows the iphone 5 out of the water.
And finally,
- Continue to be sold - the iphone 5 has been completely discontinued upon the release of the 5c and 5s (don't get me started on those...) whereas the S4 continues to be a solid top seller and crowd pleaser.

Does this answer your question?

----------

A newer experience doesn't mean better.....

And the S4 'features' are just gimmicks and you're being brainwashed by advertising. There is no way I've ever thought of hovering my finger over a phone, waving at a phone to answer a call in a public place (as seen in advert) Plus these 'features' are Samsung specific apps.

I urge you to try for a few weeks before committing yourself to a 2 year plan. I'm recently out a 2 year plan with android and now returned to the iPhone...

The grass isn't always greener.....

I'm sorry..... SAMSUNG users are the ones that are being brainwashed by advertising? There's no way you're not joking....

----------

interesting, I have the Galaxy S2 and I am waiting for my contract to expire in November at which time I will make the switch to an iPhone. Its funny how our buying habits change. One downside to Android for me is it takes for ever for software updates. You might want to consider that very carefully -read here. Apple's (IOS) iPhone, iPod and iPad don't have that problem.

The update to iOS7 took the average iphone owner 45 minutes to download. My last update on my Note 2 took 10 minutes......

----------

I'm feeling the same way. I'm a long time iPhone user and the s4 sounds awesome. I've had a few androids and they weren't bad but lagged and so on that really bugged me, but I think android has come a long way (latest I had was 2.x). I'm guessing there are apps that'll allow text/video chat between the two devices?

Both devices can get Skype and it works the same as Facetime.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I'd like to preface this list with the fact that I am a cell phone sales rep for Verizon and get asked this question every day.

THINGS THAT THE GALAXY S4 CAN DO THAT IPHONE 5 CANNOT:

- multi-task - the S4 has a split-screen setting on it so you can yave two things open at once
- Play your videos wirelessly on your home tv - there's an IR blaster built into the phone that allows you to use your phone as a remote for your tv and wirelessly watch anything you can on your phone on your big screen
- Expand your memory - the S4 (which already comes standard at twice the memory of a standard iphone 5) is SD card compatible and can handle up to 64gb of external storage
- Externally download - the S4 isn't confined to Apple's strict regulations and therefore is able to download free content directly from websites instead of having to pay for it through iTunes
- Operate independently from a computer software - Never will you ever see "connect to iTunes" or to any computer for that matter! The S4 is a completely independent device that will NEVER need to be plugged in to a computer to perform properly.
- Do everything faster - the S4 has a quad-core processor (as opposed to the dual core in the i5) so all of your processing needs will get done twice as fast
- Kick ass in Consumer Reports - the S3 (the phone a generation BEHIND the s4) was rated the number one phone in America in consumer reports for 2012, on that same list? The iphone 5.... in FIFTH place.
- Charge in more places - the S4 has the universal charging port that has been standard amongst all phones manufactured in the last two years, the iphone 5 is the only phone to have its specific charging port ever.
- Display things better - not only does it boast a true 5-inch screen, but the screen resolution alone blows the iphone 5 out of the water.
And finally,
- Continue to be sold - the iphone 5 has been completely discontinued upon the release of the 5c and 5s (don't get me started on those...) whereas the S4 continues to be a solid top seller and crowd pleaser.

Does this answer your question?

Wow, I had to double-check the date of your post to make sure it wasn't way in the past or some parody April 1st post. You're really comparing Samsung's 2013 phone with Apple's old 2012 phone?

* iOS devices have no issue multi-tasking. Having several apps displayed at one time on the same screen isn't a requirement for that. Most people don't even take advantage of what their phone does now, confusing them more by cluttering the screen won't help.

* Apple has been doing the "play videos wirelessly on your TV" thing for quite a while, since 2010, as well as being able to control the playback from the device itself.

* You don't "expand memory", you can expand storage. Anyone with an Android is familiar with juggling apps and data between internal storage and SD storage. App2SD, etc. It's a huge pain. That's why Google themselves decided a while back this was a pretty terrible design and don't even include SD card slots on their devices. I've been using Android since the original devices and having multiple storage locations (instead of one big internal storage location) has always been one of the worst things about the platform. Gee, did I save that file to internal storage? /sdcard? /external_sd?

* Externally download? My iPhone is loaded when personally ripped MP3 and DVDs, stuff bought from Amazon, Google, etc. You're not required to use any of the Apple services. Google Play content and Amazon content are on iOS as well, not just Android. We actually have more choices, since we obviously get Apple to buy from, as an option (not even an option on Android).

* iOS hasn't needed to connect to iTunes since 2011. Devices like the iPhone can activate and be used without ever loading iTunes up. There are several ways of syncing content from your system to the device as well without having to open iTunes.

* Here's a fun one: "do everything faster" - then you say its because the S4 has a quad core processor, instead of a dual-core. That has nothing to do with performance. Compared to an old iPhone 5, yes, the S4 has a slightly better CPU. But why compare it to such an old phone? The iPhone 5S also has a dual-core processor, and completely dominates the S4 in performance. Saying the S4 is faster than an old iPhone 5 because it is "quad core" sounds exactly like something a cell phone salesman would say, not someone knowledgeable about hardware.

* I think the iPhone and Apple record speaks for itself. Year after year at the the top of consumer satisfaction lists, with year after year of software support. (http://www.tuaw.com/2013/03/21/iphone-tops-j-d-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-again/)

* iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 4, iPad mini, Retina iPad mini, and iPad air all use the same Lightning connector. While it can charge, it is also a data cable, TV/video/media-out cable, etc. It is more than just a "charging" cable, and more devices than the iPhone 5 use it.

* Not everyone wants a bigger screen (some feel the iPhone 5/5C/5S screen is too big), and when you can't even see the pixels, you can't really tell the difference in resolution.

* Continues to be sold? The iPhone 4S (2011) is still sold as new. The iPhone 4 (2010) is also still sold as new in some markets (China). Not only are the devices sold, they are actually supported with software updates (Samsung abandoned the original Galaxy S at Android 2). The iPhone 5 pretty much had a manufacturing change. It's now sold with a better battery, better camera, and better LTE radio in a more durable design (as the iPhone 5C).

Samsung has a history of dropping support for older devices (Galaxy S never getting updated past Android 2), using terrible components (bad GPS in the Galaxy S), using bad storage (look up "super brick" bug, Not only that, Samsung devices and Samsung storage used by other devices were flawed in their very design. (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/EMMC_Bugs), having performance issues with their "quad core" processors and laggy Touchwiz software, trying to game the system by cheating on benchmarks (http://www.intomobile.com/2013/07/30/anandtech-claims-samsung-cheating-benchmarks/), copying Apple designs verbatim (Galaxy S body, charging plugs, Samsung stores), and just generally being a shady company.

But hey, at least you can copy all your pirated apps to an SD card, right?

I'm sorry..... SAMSUNG users are the ones that are being brainwashed by advertising? There's no way you're not joking....

Samsung spends billions on non-stop, cheesy ads for their products, way more than Apple does.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/11/04/apple-microsoft-ad-spending/

http://www.iclarified.com/28792/sam...advertising-last-year-quadrupling-apple-chart

They out-spend Apple BY FAR on commercials that try to make their stuff look better, and Apple's stuff look worse. The commercials work. People actually think the Samsung devices are the hip things to get, and that Apple's stuff is what old people use.

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Title. I was considering the iPhone 5 but the Samsung Galaxy S4 features amazed me. The one downside of course is getting out of the ecosystem.

Obviosly I cant transfer the apps. But how about Apples iTunes copyright protected movies and music? And is there a way to get my contacts, bookmarks, notes, and calender off the iPhone and onto the GS4?

After all Apple computers, iPhones 1-4s, and 2 iPads - I'm trying out Android. Any thing I should know when switching?

Motilen

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
smart switch works well. But please note, don't set password to encrypte your iphone backup on computer or the data can't be transferred.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
A big screen, SD card slot, removable battery. Need more? :)

I see that this thread was revived but i was reading through it and I just want to point out that the removable battery should not be on that list of reasons to switch.

I cannot name a single person that I've ever met that carried around a fully charger extra battery in their pocket. Wouldn't it just be easier to carry the charging cable or battery charging case?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah. So just imagine how bored will someone get after a month using a mobile OS without widgets and other stuff.

You'd get bored of iOS even sooner than Android mate.

Been using iOS since June 29, 2007. Not bored yet.

It's amazing how un-boring having a responsive, non-flakey phone, mobile OS (that gets updates in a timely fashion), and integrated ecosystem is.

Number29

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
If you have a bunch of DRM music through iTunes and want to stay legal, get iTunes Match for the year. It's $25, but it should allow you to then download all of that music DRM free. Just a suggestion since people have been mentioning all this drm stuff.

As fat as contacts, just sync them with google. It's pretty easy to do. Tutorials all over the web for it. I recommend google contacts whether you use an iPhone or not. Easiest way to get contacts onto every other ecosystem imaginable. Only google makes it that easy. Everyone else wants to keep it to their own.

----------

There is nothing you can't do, but there are things it does differently. Of course there is the larger and higher resolution screen too.

I'd recommend Microsoft over Google for this purpose as Microsoft supports EAS to get push email too whereas Google does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.