Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Apple's listed "maximum" isn't an actual technical limitation. It's just that Apple doesn't want to get sued if anything goes wrong with a configuration they haven't tested. They've been burned before suggesting that larger RAM capacity is possible than what they've tested, though that was a long, long time ago.

I'm sure we'll see 128 GB at full clock speeds before too long. Obviously somebody just has to make the chips dense enough. Only four RAM slots is a bit disappointing, but that's the cost of having such a tiny box. Why did Apple make such a tiny box again?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
And it makes the 1 GB of RAM in the iPad Air a joke

That being said, I'm amazed it doesn't result in more of a massive hurdle to speedy web browsing. These days, 1 GB of RAM on anything else won't get me far past google...

----------

That thing has 500 times more RAM than my first computer which had 256MB of RAM. :eek:

The first computer that I had that I actually knew the specs of originally had two 16 MB sticks, one of which I eventually swapped for a 32 MB stick salvaged out of a friend of mine's fried tower (for a total of 48 MB!). I was amazed at the difference it made.

Eventually I changed over to an eMachines computer with a crappy Celeron D processor and 128 MB RAM, WOW that felt fast.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
how? One is a MOBILE DEVICE! One is a bloody PROFFESIONAL WORK STATION!

How you ask? Samsung was able to fit 3GB in their phone.

There was a little sarcasm with my remark, my iPhone 5S is super fast. But it would be nice to be able to do true multitasking with 2 apps running at the same time on the screen and this would require more RAM.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
I'm a consumer. I don't need that much of ram for the time being. On the other hand I was using a computer with 40 times less memory than my current machine and happy. You never know.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
How you ask? Samsung was able to fit 3GB in their phone.

There was a little sarcasm with my remark, my iPhone 5S is super fast. But it would be nice to be able to do true multitasking with 2 apps running at the same time on the screen and this would require more RAM.

Seriously? 3GB of RAM truly is overkill. 2GB is sufficient for that, hell the S3 had multiWindow and the international model only had 1GB of Ram. Besides it is such a pointless feature on small screens.

StuPidQPid

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Holy Cow, I still remember being excited when I added a 16K RAM pack to my Sinclair ZX81...
128GB is equivalent to 134 million K! Amazing! :eek:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's seriously scary how fast technology is moving nowadays, go back 5 years and talk about a computer with 128gb of ram and people would tell you you're chatting rubbish.

It's advancing just as fast as ever... Moore's law is still going strong, although you may not notice it quite so much on account of the fact that a lot of devices have been shrinking in recent years since for the average user, things have gotten fast enough and to hold enough data.

But in 6 years, we'll be talking about how new machines can get 1TB of RAM (although I'm a bit doubtful that dedicated computers like the MacPro will still be around in 6 years. Sooner or later I expect we'll be replacing them all with dummy terminals resembling the iPad and just use cloud computing for number crunching.)

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Honest question. What type of profession/task would warrant the use of 128 GB onboard RAM vs. GPU RAM?

In 10 years it will be the minimum required to browse the web and do some light word processing.

The essentials you do today with 8GB used to be done practically the same with 8MB.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I'm a consumer. I don't need that much of ram for the time being. On the other hand I was using a computer with 40 times less memory than my current machine and happy. You never know.

Don't worry, the industry has ways of making you need that much RAM.

Lambros

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Honest question. What type of profession/task would warrant the use of 128 GB onboard RAM vs. GPU RAM?

Very few professions. Web servers start at 2gb, with most requiring at least 4/8gb. The server this website runs on, for example, probably requires about 32gb ram. But companies that sell server space often partition off ram to separate companies, so they'd purchase a computer with 128gb and sell it off in sections.

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Fantastic. As a programmer I can appreciate that computers have plenty of memory. I no longer have to worry about memory leaks. ;-)

No one will ever need more memory than 128 gigabytes, it will be enough in the next century. (Note to information archeologes: this was called 'humor' and is a reference to a famous misquote about 640 kilobytes being enough for everyone)

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
zzzzzzz.

Wake me when we get to 1TB.

----------

640 k ought to be enough for anybody!

At this point of time it is overkill. Come on, yes tech needs to advance but the 2 gigs of RAM in my Nexus 4 is very enough, there are no refreshing issues like there are with the iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.