Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the i7 2.3 Mac mini.
The primary reason, is that I want a machine running 24/7, hosting an Apache server, as well pushing two screens: a monitor and a TV.

1) Do Thunderbolt to HDMI cables carry audio?

2) In case I have multiple audio outputs 3.5mm, USB card and HDMI (and tb to HDMI); can I chose and switch output devices on the fly? Or at least duplicate audio streams on several/all outputs?

3) How hot will they run at idle? Will I hear constant fan going?

4) Installing an SSD alongside the 1tb drive it comes with, should be painless, right?

Thanks.

PS: I am not really interested in waiting for the next generation, because the current performance and form suit me, so please don't tell me to wait. :)

themeerkat

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2014
Seattle, WA
1) Do Thunderbolt to HDMI cables carry audio?

Yes.

2) In case I have multiple audio outputs 3.5mm, USB card and HDMI (and tb to HDMI); can I chose and switch output devices on the fly? Or at least duplicate audio streams on several/all outputs?

Yep, you choose between outputs in the Sound dialog in the System Preferences. Combining audio streams is a bit more complex, but can be done as well.

3) How hot will they run at idle? Will I hear constant fan going?

Not hot at all; pretty much silent at idle.

4) Installing an SSD alongside the 1tb drive it comes with, should be painless, right?

Not trivial, but not difficult either. As long as you're careful and patient with the process, you should have no issues :)

PS: I am not really interested in waiting for the next generation, because the current performance and form suit me, so please don't tell me to wait.

If you're planning to buy today, at least wait 24 hours; never buy a due-for-refresh Apple product on a Monday!

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Yes.

Yep, you choose between outputs in the Sound dialog in the System Preferences. Combining audio streams is a bit more complex, but can be done as well.

Not hot at all; pretty much silent at idle.

Not trivial, but not difficult either. As long as you're careful and patient with the process, you should have no issues :)

If you're planning to buy today, at least wait 24 hours; never buy a due-for-refresh Apple product on a Monday!

Awesome! Thanks!

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Are you doing heavy Apache stuff?
I turn off my Mini HTPC when not in use, and rely on a Raspberry Pi (35$, 5watt power consumption) for Apache. For me the speed of the Rasp is good enough.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Mine stays cool unless running a game or doing handbrake. The fan is very quiet while idling - my external hard drive is much, much louder than the mini's fan.

Well, I got it. I am extremely impressed with how silent it is. I don't hear the fan at all. Although I can hear the ticking of the internal HDD, time for an SSD!

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Well, I got it. I am extremely impressed with how silent it is. I don't hear the fan at all. Although I can hear the ticking of the internal HDD, time for an SSD!

Yeah that HDD can be quite annoying once you get used to not hearing them anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.