Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I am looking for the best day planner replacement app. As much as I hate skeuomorphism... I like it in this case... I like to be able to see the tabs for months, notes, to do etc. Does anyone have a great recommendation that also has a iPhone app too. I see planner plus looks pretty good but the iPhone app looks problematic.

PrincessV

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
I have been using "Things", for both iPad & iMac, because it has the easiest sync between devices. There is an app for iPhone. But it doesn't have the best option for notes. I use 365 Journal for notes.

Other Apps I've tried:

Opus Domini (no iCloud sync)
2Do: Task done in Style
Toodledo
Pocket Informant GO
Cozi Family Organizer (Primarily Web base)

There are a ton of apps, but I haven't found the silver bullet for a Day planner or Franklin Planner.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I have been using "Things", for both iPad & iMac, because it has the easiest sync between devices. There is an app for iPhone. But it doesn't have the best option for notes. I use 365 Journal for notes.

Other Apps I've tried:

Opus Domini (no iCloud sync)
2Do: Task done in Style
Toodledo
Pocket Informant GO
Cozi Family Organizer (Primarily Web base)

There are a ton of apps, but I haven't found the silver bullet for a Day planner or Franklin Planner.

Thanks! I checked those out and 2do seems the closest but it seems like it doesn't offer a full calendar view like day/week/month... Or maybe they just don't show it in the pics? Also... Did you have buy it for your computer too or could it sync with iCal? Can't figure out why a great day planner/Filofax/ franklin covey style app doesn't exist yet;)!

For pocket informant... Do you pay $15 a year to sync with computer and phone?

PrincessV

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks! I checked those out and 2do seems the closest but it seems like it doesn't offer a full calendar view like day/week/month... Or maybe they just don't show it in the pics? Also... Did you have buy it for your computer too or could it sync with iCal? Can't figure out why a great day planner/Filofax/ franklin covey style app doesn't exist yet;)!

For pocket informant... Do you pay $15 a year to sync with computer and phone?

I didn't pay the $15 for sync with Pocket Information. I only used it on my iPad & I think I only downloaded the free version.

There is a 14 trial for mac for 2do: http://www.2doapp.com/mac/
I didn't see how to get a full calendar view for 2do.

Another App that I've seen mentioned many times on MacRumors is Omni Focus. This one I have not tried. Both the iPad & iMac versions seem a little pricey!

If you haven't done this yet, for each of the Apps, check out the developer's website. There maybe trials available that's not mentioned in the App Store.

You're right, the perfect "Day Planner/Franklin Planner" app doesn't seem to exist. Most seem to miss something (notes, syncing across devices).

I'll keep using "Things" while trying Planner Plus to see which one will get me close to the Franklin experience.

----------

PS: I only bought the iPad version of Planner Plus. I emailed the developer to ask about syncing notes between devices. (Syncing notes between devices seem to be the biggest complaint among the reviewers. But the website & pictures in the App stores makes one think that notes are synced).

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I've been using Things across platforms for years and love it. But I need something that will hit my calendar.

I found Planner Plus and Opus Domini recently

I was all set to buy Planner Plus, but their most recent update (this week!) changed the tabs to the bottom and added a lot of colors. It looked more like a real planner before they did that. I believe there are also issues with unfinished tasks forwarding to the next day, but I could be wrong about that. I did email them about my disappointment over the new format, and they said they'd take it under consideration (other reviewers noted the same issue). Response was quick.

Then I went to Opus, which was a little less expensive. I downloaded both the free apps on the Mac and iPad. The free versions won't sync to each other. Unfortunately both iPad and Mac version need the most recent OS - iOS 7 and Mavericks. I'm on iOS 6 and ML. I've emailed them asking if I can purchase the old versions and haven't heard back yet.

I like these because they allow me to add tasks and notes, which saves me from sticky note hell. I use Noteability for meetings, but there is no way to put a todo list in it with and be able to check items off as they are completed, and I really need that. Both programs above will allow that.

Things would be perfect if it only had a calendar.

Another app I downloaded was LifeTopix. I find it intriguing but a little confusing. It will accept a ton of info across every aspect of your life. I tend to use it to put some health info in, and notes because those show up on its calendar. Not sure if they will sync to the OS calendar, but an event you add into the LifeTopix calendar will.

Oakbridge

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
It may be overkill for what you require, but Daylite offers both iPad and Mac OS apps. The requirement is that you need to install a Daylite Server app although a hosted option is coming. And I'm biased (see my signature).

Unkei

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Dayplanner Replacement

I am looking for the best day planner replacement app. As much as I hate skeuomorphism... I like it in this case... I like to be able to see the tabs for months, notes, to do etc. Does anyone have a great recommendation that also has a iPhone app too. I see planner plus looks pretty good but the iPhone app looks problematic.

You might try Opus Domini fro App Store.
Unkei

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.