Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpower53

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Hi All,

My Mac Mini 2012 only got one harddisk 1TB,thinking of getting 240GB SSD.how to replace it with SSD?
any website or video to recommend?Thanks.

Regards,
MacPower53

macpower53

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Hi,

I only got one SATA harddisk for mac mini,is it possible to remove it and replace with SSD?Thanks.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Just add it. It keeps you from a lot of troubles.
To get the SSD in, you only need to remove the airport grill instead of almost everything. Nice thing with the 2012s is that the HD is in the hard to access position, leaving the easy access space void.

So don't get the OWC/iFixit video's, they do the full damage procedure.

Look for similar topics here to find the better video's from youtube.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Nice thing with the 2012s is that the HD is in the hard to access position, leaving the easy access space void.
Careful what you say, the 2012 mini's were shipped with the HD mounted in either the upper or the lower bays, I do not know Apples reason for this, but I do know mine came with the HD in the lower bay, screwed right to the wi/fi antenna grill.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ I only got one SATA harddisk for mac mini,is it possible to remove it and replace with SSD? ]]

There's no reason to "replace" the drive, because the Mini has the room and connections for TWO drives.

You want to "add", not "replace"...

You will need another SATA ribbon cable.

dudedude

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
[[ I only got one SATA harddisk for mac mini,is it possible to remove it and replace with SSD? ]]

There's no reason to "replace" the drive, because the Mini has the room and connections for TWO drives.

You want to "add", not "replace"...

You will need another SATA ribbon cable.

I don't agree, perhaps they want the speed of an SSD and don't need the extra internal storage or want the speed of an SSD and are taken back by having to pull out the logic board on a data doubler install. You can get a decent sized SSD like a 480GB M500 for around $240-$250. Seems like a worthy enough replacement to me.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I don't agree, perhaps they want the speed of an SSD and don't need the extra internal storage or want the speed of an SSD and are taken back by having to pull out the logic board on a data doubler install. You can get a decent sized SSD like a 480GB M500 for around $240-$250. Seems like a worthy enough replacement to me.

In my case I was going to do a partial tear-down and just replace the OEM HDD with an M500 SSD. Then later I would do the complete tear-down and install the OEM drive in the upper bay using an OWC Data Doubler kit.

I was unable to pull the OEM drive out of its slot so I had to remove the logic board anyway. In that case a user might as well invest in the 2nd HDD kit. If nothing else it can be a second Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.