Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ra1n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Lost my iPad Air (32GB WiFi Only Model) on Friday 28 February 3:20~5:40 pm at the Melbourne Crown Entertainment Complex car park.

Before I left the car park, I made a stupid decision to leave my bag and iPad inside the car, and when I came back, the iPad was gone. (Normally I don't bring my iPad out of the house, so did not set any password.)

I have previously enabled Find My iPhone feature, but it seems like it has not been connected to WiFi since then. Every time when I check the iCloud Find My iPhone page, it says that "All Devices Offline".

I looked up on the internet and saw that iOS 7 prevents anyone else from formatting the iPad and requires my password to restore it to factory settings. I am quite worried and not sure of how to approach this problem.

By the way, it is correct to consider that even though others have their hands on my iPad, they cannot really do anything as it is locked to my iCloud Apple Account?

Any advise would be great. Thanks.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Lost my iPad Air (32GB WiFi Only Model) on Friday 28 February 3:20~5:40 pm at the Melbourne Crown Entertainment Complex car park.

Before I left the car park, I made a stupid decision to leave my bag and iPad inside the car, and when I came back, the iPad was gone. (Normally I don't bring my iPad out of the house, so did not set any password.)

I have previously enabled Find My iPhone feature, but it seems like it has not been connected to WiFi since then. Every time when I check the iCloud Find My iPhone page, it says that "All Devices Offline".

I looked up on the internet and saw that iOS 7 prevents anyone else from formatting the iPad and requires my password to restore it to factory settings. I am quite worried and not sure of how to approach this problem.

By the way, it is correct to consider that even though others have their hands on my iPad, they cannot really do anything as it is locked to my iCloud Apple Account?

Any advise would be great. Thanks.

If the device was without a passcode, they pretty much have free reign over the information on the iPad until your lock request can come through. You'll have to wait until they connect the iPad to a Wi-Fi network.

I wish you the best of luck in recovering it though.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
So you didnt lose it, it was stolen from you. I would make a police report and hope that it shows up on find my iphone.

ra1n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Thanks

I have reported it as lost device to the police, but there has been no sign of my iPad Air on the Find My iPhone app.

Hopefully one day it will return to me.

And thanks for all the replies.
As for the "buy a new one" response, I have actually got a few other iPads left...
iPad 3&4 and a retina mini so just missing my air :(

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Odd how they went through your bag to just take your iPad Air. Normally crooks would take the whole bag.

Anyway, with no passcode, they can wipe it via settings and sell it on eBay as activation locked.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
You cry...
Keep looking at the find my iPhone thing it and once it comes on you need to wipe it clean. People can use your iPad just not erase everything. Just think right now people are playing your games reading your emails and really anything you do on your iPad they can do. I hope I did not worry you.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
That's one of the nice features about Android. If you update your Google password, an alert is sent to all your devices for a confirmation. If you don't enter the new you can't really do a whole lot with the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.