Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I see they were on different subnets, but how about different networks or even no network at all? Can it work purely over Bluetooth?

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I am downloading 6.1 on the AppleTV now. I will try to see if it can airplay with my iPhone connected to cellular data with bluetooth ON

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work by Bluetooth

Did you have wifi on?

I'm going to take a wild guess that it can now use bluetooth to find the apple TV that has airplay, but then will make a direct connection to it using wifi. I can't imagine bluetooth having the needed bandwidth/speed for airplay content.

Edit: Just tried it myself. iPhone on 7.1, Apple TV on 6.1, both with wifi and bluetooth on but neither connected to a wifi network. Airplay didn't work. As soon as both were connected to the same network Airplay started working again.

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Did some more tinkering around...

Created 2 separate networks, each with their own wifi SSID. Physically separate LANs both with internet access.

Connected Apple TV to LAN1, iPhone to LAN2, bluetooth on, and Airplay does not show up on the iPhone at all.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013

Created 2 separate networks, each with their own wifi SSID. Physically separate LANs both with internet access.

Connected Apple TV to LAN1, iPhone to LAN2, bluetooth on, and Airplay does not show up on the iPhone at all.

Well.... Guess that's that. Wonder if being in conference mode makes a difference?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Each network still needs to be able to communicate with the other. The purpose for this new feature is that on large networks, it's often the case that Bonjour discovery doesn't work across the subnets, particularly from a wired network to the wireless network but IP traffic is routed between them.
It's in these instances where this new functionality works. Bluetooth identifies the ATV, and then once the two devices share connection information, the Airplay stream moves via IP.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Each network still needs to be able to communicate with the other. The purpose for this new feature is that on large networks, it's often the case that Bonjour discovery doesn't work across the subnets, particularly from a wired network to the wireless network but IP traffic is routed between them.
It's in these instances where this new functionality works. Bluetooth identifies the ATV, and then once the two devices share connection information, the Airplay stream moves via IP.

That's what I was thinking about. I found this article while looking around:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/tv/news/app...tion-discovery-over-bluetooth-and-more-494249

It mentions
The update also adds support to allow an AirPlay device to discover Apple TV over Bluetooth in environments where multicast or Bonjour traffic is blocked on the network or the AirPlay device is on a different subnet.

In the same setup, I connected the two LANs, but they each had their own subnets. Once doing that, an iPhone on LAN 1 was able to see all the apple TVs on LAN 2, regardless of whether the apple TV was on 6.1 or 6.0.

Sounds like it does make sense though about using bluetooth for discovery when multicast or bonjour is blocked but that there still is IP connectivity between the two.

I wouldn't mind trying to emulate that to see how it works, but I don't have the time and energy right now lol.

Actually it would have been nice if this feature was to allow discovery and transmission for iOS devices and Apple TVs that are isolated from any network.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Actually it would have been nice if this feature was to allow discovery and transmission for iOS devices and Apple TVs that are isolated from any network.
But then how would they do Airplay if not on any network?

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
May be a bit OT - does Airplay work with a guest wifi network (i.e. setup up a second wifi network on your AEBS/TC that only allows access to the web)? I haven't enabled my guest network as several guests like to airplay from their phones to my ATV.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
May be a bit OT - does Airplay work with a guest wifi network (i.e. setup up a second wifi network on your AEBS/TC that only allows access to the web)? I haven't enabled my guest network as several guests like to airplay from their phones to my ATV.
AFAIK the guest network is a separate LAN segment. That's the whole idea - fully isolate guests from your home LAN and just provide them with Internet connectivity.
AirPlay works only on a single LAN segment.
It would work if you also registered your aTV on guest network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.