Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK
...on Mavericks at least. Will this finally allow us to tune in on PPC sometime soon?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Unlikely, the DRM decryption is not present in either TenFourFox or WebKit for Leopard. Adding them would be rather difficult and PowerPC machines may not have enough power to decode and playback the media properly or at all.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
...on Mavericks at least. Will this finally allow us to tune in on PPC sometime soon?

I'm on Mavericks and can't watch Netflix without Silverlight. Do you have a link to an official confirmation of this?

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I'm on Mavericks and can't watch Netflix without Silverlight. Do you have a link to an official confirmation of this?

Nope other than in the playback settings you can choose HTML 5 as a preference.

I deleted the Silverlight plugin (as it's constantly saying it's not installed in 10.9.2 even though it is) and Netflix is playing just fine without it.

I only stumbled across the option as it was mentioned in a reddit comment by someone.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Nope other than in the playback settings you can choose HTML 5 as a preference.

I deleted the Silverlight plugin (as it's constantly saying it's not installed in 10.9.2 even though it is) and Netflix is playing just fine without it.

I only stumbled across the option as it was mentioned in a reddit comment by someone.

Strange. Netflix's own HTML5 documentation states that IE 11 on Windows 8 or later is required and it definitely doesn't play anything for me in Safari, also with 10.9.2.
What title were you watching, if you don't mind saying?

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Strange. Netflix's own HTML5 documentation states that IE 11 on Windows 8 or later is required and it definitely doesn't play anything for me in Safari, also with 10.9.2.
What title were you watching, if you don't mind saying?

Fringe season 2

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
It might depend on what you're watching.

I recently restored my MBP. I'm almost certain I've watched something on Netflix since then. Either way, I was trying to watch the last episode of House of Cards before the next season starts and I was forced to install Silverlight.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
resurection I know :)

if you use systems preferences /security and privacy /firewall / and block silverlight it will force html5

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
resurection I know :)

if you use systems preferences /security and privacy /firewall / and block silverlight it will force html5

I don't even have Silverlight installed and it doesn't work.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I don't even have Silverlight installed and it doesn't work.

yea I think I was wrong. I uninstalled silverlight and it wouldn't use the html5 player so I went searching and found someone said install silverlight but block it in firewall. Thing is looking at power usage information from top menu/battery its showing silverlight even when blocked and I can't get firewall to block the internet plugin in library, so sorry may have led people on a merry goose chase :(

come on apple rid us of microsfot silverlight .... please :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.