Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:54 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

ACC and Campus Insiders Launch New College Sports Apple TV Channel

The Atlantic Coast Conference and college sports site Campus Insiders have teamed up to launch a new "ACC Sports" channel for the Apple TV today, offering video highlights, features, and other clips related to the conference's 15 member schools. A separate Campus Insiders tab within the app includes a smaller amount of content from other college athletic conferences around the country.

The channel does not currently offer any live video content, although it is certainly possible such offerings could be added in the future.

Campus Insiders has agreements with a number of college conferences to offer live video streaming of certain competitions in a variety of sports through the firm's website, and the launch of an ACC Sports channel for Apple TV could be a prelude to a broader effort by Campus Insiders that would be able to bring streaming of these events directly to Apple's set-top box.

Today's launch is the latest in a long line of new Apple TV channels introduced over the last months as Apple has worked to rapidly expand content available on the set-top box. New Apple TV 6.1 software released last week makes it easier for users to hide unwanted channels from the main Apple TV screen, helping them manage the growing number of available channels. Apple has also been rumored to be on the verge of introducing a revamped version of the Apple TV, perhaps opening it up to third-party developers to support games and other apps.

Article Link: ACC and Campus Insiders Launch New College Sports Apple TV Channel
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Lapidus
macrumors regular

You don't want to live in Belgium. Seriously.
Lapidus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:57 AM   #3
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Yet again Apple, let US DECIDE by having a channel/app store. This isn't rocket science.
zedsdead is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:58 AM   #4
locust76
macrumors 6502a

Great. More useless **** for me to have to hide. Good thing they made it easier.
locust76 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:02 AM   #5
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

outstanding. Def look forward to this one.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:02 AM   #6
Alisstar
macrumors 6502

Apple, just make the SDK available to all developers already, please.
Alisstar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:03 AM   #7
roland.g
macrumors 603

Add the B1G channel too

and a March Madness channel as well.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:04 AM   #8
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
Yet again Apple, let US DECIDE by having a channel/app store. This isn't rocket science.
It's just a matter of time, dude. And at least it's easy to hide stuff now.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisstar View Post
Apple, just make the SDK available to all developers already, please.
I'm really looking forward to this, but I bet they won't do it until the platform reaches a proper tipping point.
bpcookson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:07 AM   #9
aparch
macrumors newbie

ACC live broadcasts are available via Watch ESPN with the addition of the 15 college conference channels within the app.

This just seems to compliment WatchESPN, unless they're going to migrate away from ESPN (which would be great for cord cutters). Hopefully live video is added to the app.

Who cares about "yet another stupid icon to hide," there should be more discussion on the addition of sports that could make it easier for "cord cutters" to watch sports.
aparch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:28 AM   #10
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502a

ENOUGH with the worthless ICONS. There needs to be one central place to register these channels with our cable provider too....
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:31 AM   #11
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Alright! Another thing to hide. I'm thankful for how easy 7.1 makes it to hide useless channels.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:34 AM   #12
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Nice, an ACC Channel. Go Wolfpack!
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:35 AM   #13
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
ACC live broadcasts are available via Watch ESPN with the addition of the 15 college conference channels within the app.

This just seems to compliment WatchESPN, unless they're going to migrate away from ESPN (which would be great for cord cutters). Hopefully live video is added to the app.

Who cares about "yet another stupid icon to hide," there should be more discussion on the addition of sports that could make it easier for "cord cutters" to watch sports.

cold day in hell before they migrate from ESPN
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:49 AM   #14
PsychoLogicXen
macrumors member

I can't hide all these useless channels fast enough!
PsychoLogicXen is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:51 AM   #15
RedRallyeZ
macrumors regular

Go Tigers!
RedRallyeZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:58 AM   #16
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

obviously a new UI/UX is in order. and perhaps the age-old request to have an App Store.

I'd like to see a Sports section with this, ESPN, and maybe RedBull and WWE as app/channels inside.

Maybe a Science and Educational Section...
Youth Section...
News?
Streaming (yeah, I know all of it is streaming)
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:01 PM   #17
2010mini
macrumors 6502a

Great to see more content being offered for the Apple TV after years of "hobby" status.
2010mini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:26 PM   #18
pittpanthersfan
macrumors 6502

Sweet. Hail to Pitt!
pittpanthersfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:27 PM   #19
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

Add the B1G channel too

I second this
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:41 PM   #20
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Yet another channel to block, Apple how about fixing the issue with HBO Go for Charter Communications customers or adding more movie channels like Epix, Amazon Prime (something that everyone wants to be added), Cinemax Go and Showtime Anytime. Seriously, this is like my Sony Blu Ray player from 4 years ago so much streaming video junk but only thing good about Apple TV is they keep the streaming apps to date.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:46 PM   #21
Dimwhit
macrumors 68000

If this was for a conference I liked, I'd be excited. But it's the ACC...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:16 PM   #22
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimwhit View Post
If this was for a conference I liked, I'd be excited. But it's the ACC...
Conference of the national football champions, the fighting Florida State Seminoles! Can't stop the chop!

It's great to be a Florida State Seminole!
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:33 PM   #23
srmoll
macrumors newbie

There is a world outside of the USA Apple! How about getting some apps in there from other countries:

Being from the UK I would particularly like to see:
BBC iPlayer
ITV Player
4OD
Demand 5
TVCatchup
Amazon Instant Video
srmoll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:05 PM   #24
calisurfboy
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to calisurfboy
I've been using the Apple TV for two years now. Some things:

1) My music library is large when home sharing. Scrolling through music is tedious. They should have a jump to letter option instead of having to scroll through thousands of songs, artists, etc.

2) The UI needs to be updated. Along those lines, the addition of all these icons makes it worse. Why not have the Apple TV somewhat mirror iOS devices. Unite under a singular umbrella.

3) Ability to control the Apple TV from my phone or iPad in the sense of mirror what is on the apple tv to the tablet. That way I could type or move around icons. If not, then improve the remote. It is too simplified.

4) Open up the Apple TV to applications I already use on my iOS devices by adding an app store.

There are a few other things but they encompass everything as a whole.

1) Ability to create my own categories or folders when adding movies to iTunes. I do not want all my own personal movies lumped into "Home Videos."

2) Home sharing on an iOS device doesn't work if you have a large music library yet the remote app sees everything just fine.
calisurfboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:08 PM   #25
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ View Post
Go Tigers!
Too bad no ACC baseball as far as I was able to find browsing it for a few minutes.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion