Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I've been putting off "upgrading" to FCP X since its release. With the nMP I'm giving it a shot. I must say there are some good things and things that "what the flack was apple thinking". I'm still trying to forget everything I know about FCP 7 and all the revisions that have come over the years.

One thing that is driving me crazy is shot markers. I shoot with Sony XDCAM EX1R. Love the thing. One nice feature is the ability to mark shots as I'm shooting. In FCP 7 I was able to use the XDCAM transfer app and have all my shot markers go into FCP 7. Now when I import clips nothing. I tried the XDCAM transfer app. Imported the exported clips and still nothing. Does FCP X not have this?

Also in FCP 7 I was able to easily duplicate items by option shift and dragging. Is this possible?

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
I've been putting off "upgrading" to FCP X since its release. With the nMP I'm giving it a shot. I must say there are some good things and things that "what the flack was apple thinking". I'm still trying to forget everything I know about FCP 7 and all the revisions that have come over the years.

One thing that is driving me crazy is shot markers. I shoot with Sony XDCAM EX1R. Love the thing. One nice feature is the ability to mark shots as I'm shooting. In FCP 7 I was able to use the XDCAM transfer app and have all my shot markers go into FCP 7. Now when I import clips nothing. I tried the XDCAM transfer app. Imported the exported clips and still nothing. Does FCP X not have this?

Also in FCP 7 I was able to easily duplicate items by option shift and dragging. Is this possible?

I shoot with a sony ex3 and use the same features as you do. I tried final cut x in our studio enviorment and it just didn't work out.

- Being forced to save projects to the movie folder

- Not working well with cross server environments

- Not being able to capture tape and having problems with transcoding xdcam footage.

These are only some of the things mentioned as to why it didn't work for us. I like to refer final cut x as red cool aide... Once you drink it, tastes great and makes you feel wonderful but in the long run it really does harm to your body mind and for that matter, spirit. :) GL

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
argh these markers are going to be the death of me. I figured out a work-around for making duplicate clips but the markers might be a deal breaker. :mad:

PS what the hell is "background render". Shouldn't it allow me to continue to work and render in background so I don't have to stop..So instead of "command R" the computer now does it for me.. wow big time saver...
Adobe Premier is calling...

Last edited:

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
argh these markers are going to be the death of me. I figured out a work-around for making duplicate clips but the markers might be a deal breaker. :mad:

PS what the hell is "background render". Shouldn't it allow me to continue to work and render in background so I don't have to stop..So instead of "command R" the computer now does it for me.. wow big time saver...
Adobe Premier is calling...

I love adobe premiere cc! It's just like final cut pro 7, but better.. I hate the background rendering also, takes control away from the workflow and adds more strain and stress on the editing system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.